Expression Triggering By Itself

Matthew Terrado

I have an expression knob hooked up to the expression pedal jack on the PBC and works it fine when I move it but a lot of the time it triggers itself without me moving it. I have it controlling the mix knob of my Strymon Timeline and at random times the mix of my delay changes and I can see the green light on my timeline turn yellow indicating that a change has been made. Is this a software thing or a hardware thing with my expression knob? I have another expression knob hooked up directly to my big sky controlling the mix as well and have no problem. I've switched the expression knobs and the same thing happens with both when they're hooked up to the PBC.

Also, when I calibrate the expression knob on the PBC, the sweep starts off fine and then jumps up real quick to around 80% when the knob isn't even halfway turned and then it slows down until the knob is fully turned. When in use, the PBC reads that the expression knob is at 50% when really it's at 10% or less. I'm assuming it's the pot value of the expression knob I'm using? Doesn't make sense to me because they work fine and seem true when connected directly to the pedal I'm controlling.

When testing both expression controllers with the PBC, did you use the same cables you were using when connected directly to the pedals? If so, it sounds like we may need to repair the PBC's expression input. Email us at support at rjmmusic dot com and we'll figure it out.

When testing both expression controllers with the PBC, did you use the same cables you were using when connected directly to the pedals? If so, it sounds like we may need to repair the PBC's expression input. Email us at support at rjmmusic dot com and we'll figure it out.
I haven’t tried different cables! All of my cables are zip tied down tight so it’s impossible to swap them out ;). Didn’t even think to do that. I figured that it was receiving a signal so it was fine but I’ll try another cable and report back!

I believe mine did this exact thing.... Sent it back and they fixed it... Very fast turn around.....

So I tried different cables and expression knobs and it’s still acting funny. Looks like I’d need to send it in to get fixed. For now, I just made a new trs cable to go directly into the expression input on the timeline itself. Works perfectly but it would be nice to use the mastermind expression jack so I can see the position on the display. I’ll email support once I have a week where I’m not gigging much (which is rare).

Wow! Mine is back to doing it again.....You can actually see the signal jumping up and down on the readout of my Stymon BigSky.... My delays will go from full mix to off.......

Back