Integrating AxeFxIII with Mastermind LT

Hello all,
I am new to the Mastermind products. I just purchased the LT to control my AxeFxIII and I have run into a bit of a problem trying to integrate it.

I purchased the correct phantom MIDI/Power block to hook up between my AxeFXIII and the LT. (2 - 5pin cables to the MIDI in and out of the Fractal and a 7 pin from the block to the LT)

Out of the box, the LT was working great. It banked up and down through my created presets and let me select my scenes. I even used it live last week and it worked great. Finally got to use my AxeFxIII live.

Then I was told that there was an editor for the unit. I downloaded the editor and (finally) read the instruction manual. Upon reading the manual, I found that there was a setting in the LT settings for the AxeFxIII.

So.......I followed ALL of the instructions. Selected "get preset names", scenes "on", scenes "4" and hit "start". The LT screen had a bar graph on it with "press key to stop" underneath it that never populated. I thought I did something wrong, so I did a factory reset and repeated the same process again and the bar graph never populated. Again, I did another factory reset and thought that maybe it was to receive its information through the AxeFXIII edit, which did not work either. At the very end, I ended up with 2 presets bouncing back and forth between the AxeFxIII and the LT. The only way to make it stop was to unplug the MIDI cable from the unit and start over.

So I tried everything possible.....watched videos, meticulously followed directions for another 1 1/2 - 2 hours and finally gave up.

I am sure it is something I am doing wrong, but I have no clue what it is. If anyone has any advice, I could surely use it. Thank you

***POST EDIT***
I do want to also let you know that I have followed the instructions as far as the setting go in the AxeFxIII as well.

MIDI channel "1"
Send Realtime Sysex "on"
PC changes "on"
PC mapping "off"

Last edited:
Hi there

I finally received my LT today...took ages to get through customs etc. Anyway, I had the same problem with the bar not populating, checked my midi connections and had it completely wrong. To get it all working I used both Midi In/out from the LT to Fractal Axe...make sure in goes to out and out goes to in. Worked for me although I think you only need Midi out from the LT although maybe not in your case with the phantom power. Im sure bi-directional should be checked in the editor...double check though.

Last edited:
I agree - definitely check Bidirectional MIDI in the LT settings, Get Preset Names won't work if it's turned off. Also, if that doesn't help, temporarily connect it without the phantom power box, instead using two MIDI cables to connect to the Axe-Fx as johnnym mentions, just to eliminate another variable

I agree - definitely check Bidirectional MIDI in the LT settings, Get Preset Names won't work if it's turned off. Also, if that doesn't help, temporarily connect it without the phantom power box, instead using two MIDI cables to connect to the Axe-Fx as johnnym mentions, just to eliminate another variable
Thank you.....I have tried all of this and it still doesn’t work. I am sure it is something I am doing or not doing because it works, but only through CC commands.
I have checked all settings on both products according to manuals, direction from people and a Wikipedia page. I have removed the phantom box, went from the midi out of the Axe into the LT in and the LT out to the Axe in with 2 cables and the supplied power adapter.

When I try to get presets, I go to “get presets”
I select my preset numbers (384-450)
Destination 1
Get scenes “on”
Get songs “on”
Number of scenes 4
Start

It gives me a bar graph that says “press key to stop”
Bar never populated and the board freezes up. I have to remove the power to get it to restart, remove the “axefxIII” from the devices list, go into settings and change the “song list” option to “none” and change the mapping in the Axe back to on and it works again as it did when I got it out of the box.

I will try to upload a video or pictures later. It would let me do it earlier.

Well.....I did absolutely nothing different (that I am aware of) and it actually worked today. It sent all my designated presets and scenes to the LT.

Consider this thread closed and thank you.

I'm in the same boat: The bar that never moves with "press key to stop". I'm using brand new MIDI cables, have updated the FW on the LT, and have followed directions in the manual.

Any advice?

If it's not responding, the typical causes are:

- The cabling is not connected correctly or not working.
- The wrong model of Axe-Fx is selected in the Devices tab. Setting it to any model other than Axe-Fx III will cause it to not work.
- The MIDI channel set in the Axe-Fx is not the same MIDI channel set in the LT's Devices tab
- MIDI Mapping is not set to Off in the Axe-Fx

If it's not responding, the typical causes are:

- The cabling is not connected correctly or not working.
- The wrong model of Axe-Fx is selected in the Devices tab. Setting it to any model other than Axe-Fx III will cause it to not work.
- The MIDI channel set in the Axe-Fx is not the same MIDI channel set in the LT's Devices tab
- MIDI Mapping is not set to Off in the Axe-Fx

Thanks--Got it working. The issue was that I forgot to toggle away (on the Axe) from a preset I was importing. I forgot you need to be on a preset you are NOT importing

It should do this automatically for you - if you're starting at preset 1, it should switch to preset 2, then back to preset 1, then start reading. I'll have to look into it and see what's going wrong.

Glad you figured it out, though!

Back