Best Approach for Tap Temp for Tonal Recall

sjgam

See several posts on tap tempo in this forum and trying to distill it down to my use case.

I only have one midi capable pedal - Tonal Recall - at the end of my ten loops.

Very easy with the manual from Chase Bliss and PBC to set up preset selection at preset level on PBC.

On tap tempo - would like the convenience when creatively coming up new presets of tapping different tempos on the PBC.

I know the CC number for tap tempo on Tonal Recall so I guess I could set that at preset level or on a button page - correct?

Whats the advantages/use case of different approaches to tap tempo with a single midi pedal like Tonal Recall?

Replying to my own message but I see on this forum a popular option is to use the Function button for tap tempo. Very easy to set that up on the Editor app for Tonal Recall. And so now for Global Preset (my clean sound) I am now using alternate second preset press to get global preset instead of function button.

So benefits of this approach I am thinking is while in Preset mode - which is mostly where I want to be while performing and/or creating - on every preset page I can always tap tempo and always access global (clean) preset and of course select/bank to my presets.

And if I am experimenting with new settings on Tonal Recall and new tap tempo and different pedal loop selections, I can save those new settings including the Tonal Recall settings and the tempo and loop selections on the fly to a new preset.

Haven't downloaded from editor to PBC yet to try out.

Any downside you can think of?

Setting up a tap tempo button like that is definitely the most common option. You can tap in a tempo at any time, and store tempos to each Tonal Recall preset. You can go one step further if needed and use the Auto Tap feature to be able to specify BPM in each PBC preset and have it send the taps to the pedal automatically. If you want to go that route, this video shows how it's done:

Setting up a tap tempo button like that is definitely the most common option. You can tap in a tempo at any time, and store tempos to each Tonal Recall preset. You can go one step further if needed and use the Auto Tap feature to be able to specify BPM in each PBC preset and have it send the taps to the pedal automatically. If you want to go that route, this video shows how it's done:

But with the Tonal Recall I think the tempo is saved when you save the preset on PBC so not seeing point of auto tap in this case.

But with the Tonal Recall I think the tempo is saved when you save the preset on PBC so not seeing point of auto tap in this case.

Some people need/want specific BPM values that they can edit at any time, or they want to keep the number of delay presets to a minimum and just alter the delay time to suit the song. Either approach is fine, It really comes down to personal preference & needs.

Some people need/want specific BPM values that they can edit at any time, or they want to keep the number of delay presets to a minimum and just alter the delay time to suit the song. Either approach is fine, It really comes down to personal preference & needs.
Ahh I see - you can type in actual bpm number and match song bpm. Makes sense.

I use the PBC to control tempo on my Tonal Recall. It works like any other delay pedal. Anytime you change tempo (even if the Tonal Recall preset doesn't change) the tempo on the TR will change to match the clock output of the PBC.

I use preset tempo's in Song mode on the PBC, but I also have a tap tempo button on my main page in case I need to change tempo on the fly. Either ways works flawlessly with the Tonal Recall.

You only need the PBC to send the tempo CC if you've previously used that CC to make the Tonal Recall ignore incoming clock messages, otherwise, the TR will accept midi clock by default.

I use the PBC to control tempo on my Tonal Recall. It works like any other delay pedal. Anytime you change tempo (even if the Tonal Recall preset doesn't change) the tempo on the TR will change to match the clock output of the PBC.

I use preset tempo's in Song mode on the PBC, but I also have a tap tempo button on my main page in case I need to change tempo on the fly. Either ways works flawlessly with the Tonal Recall.

You only need the PBC to send the tempo CC if you've previously used that CC to make the Tonal Recall ignore incoming clock messages, otherwise, the TR will accept midi clock by default.

Thanks for that guidance. Couple questions (given your a Tonal Recall User):

1. If I tap tempo on PBC will it change the tempo on all my presets with Tonal Recall so when I recall them they are this new tempo? I don't want that. I just want to use PBC tap tempo on Tonal Recall to experiment with different tempos only on the preset I am working on while developing new presets for Tonal Recall or an effects chain using Tonal Recall but I want the other presets tempo locked down as I have spent a lot of time getting the tempo how I like it along with the other setting of those saved presets.

2. Whats exactly saved on Tonal Recall when you save a preset slot with the PBC? I know all the Dial parameters are saved but are the switch position statuses on the end of the pedal also saved like bounce, top, bottom etc?

Thanks for that guidance. Couple questions (given your a Tonal Recall User):

1. If I tap tempo on PBC will it change the tempo on all my presets with Tonal Recall so when I recall them they are this new tempo? I don't want that. I just want to use PBC tap tempo on Tonal Recall to experiment with different tempos only on the preset I am working on while developing new presets for Tonal Recall or an effects chain using Tonal Recall but I want the other presets tempo locked down as I have spent a lot of time getting the tempo how I like it along with the other setting of those saved presets. It won't change tempos for other presets, unless (and I'm not sure this is even the case) you don't have any preprogrammed tempos for your other presets... then the next preset may default to the previously tapped value.

2. Whats exactly saved on Tonal Recall when you save a preset slot with the PBC? I know all the Dial parameters are saved but are the switch position statuses on the end of the pedal also saved like bounce, top, bottom etc?
. When you save a preset to the PBC, you're not actually saving anything to the Tonal Recall. The TR just reacts to the information the PBC sends for that preset. So for example, if you have one PBC preset at 78bpm and another at 74bpm, using the same TR preset, only the tempo will change. If you're using the PBC to save to presets 4-128 on the TR, every setting you change on the TR will be saved to the preset slot that the PBC sends to the TR... mix, dip switches, tone, repeats, subdivisions, etc... However, tempo/clock info from the PBC will always override any tempo saved in the TR. This is so you don't have to have presets for each of your delay settings and tempos.

Hope that helps?

. When you save a preset to the PBC, you're not actually saving anything to the Tonal Recall. The TR just reacts to the information the PBC sends for that preset. So for example, if you have one PBC preset at 78bpm and another at 74bpm, using the same TR preset, only the tempo will change. If you're using the PBC to save to presets 4-128 on the TR, every setting you change on the TR will be saved to the preset slot that the PBC sends to the TR... mix, dip switches, tone, repeats, subdivisions, etc... However, tempo/clock info from the PBC will always override any tempo saved in the TR. This is so you don't have to have presets for each of your delay settings and tempos.

Hope that helps?
Thanks for confirming that all settings - mix, dip switches etc - are saved to the preset slot PBC sends to the TR. My ears were suggesting this was the case. This is powerful so I up front do the work of customizing TR settings using dip switches (which are hard to deal with guitar in hand) and save it to the PBC preset slot so moving forward I don't have to fiddle with the switches unless I want to come up something new and then save that to another preset.

One followup question on the tap tempo - I set up the Function button on the PBC to be tap tempo and simply using the RJM editor - set it to Tonal Recall Tap Tempo using the edit button drop down on the Function button. Its sets it as a momentary button on CC#93 so TR sees the PBC function taps through MIDI the same as the tap switch on the TR pedal itself. So I assume its just adjusting the tempo on the current settings on the TR and has no effect on the other TR preset slot setting on PBC and unless I save it, it is only temporary on the current TR preset. This is how I want it to be.

But when you say "However, tempo/clock info from the PBC will always override any tempo saved in the TR. This is so you don't have to have presets for each of your delay settings and tempos." - I think you are speaking about a different way to set up tap tempo (maybe through midi clock) Correct?

Thanks for confirming that all settings - mix, dip switches etc - are saved to the preset slot PBC sends to the TR. My ears were suggesting this was the case. This is powerful so I up front do the work of customizing TR settings using dip switches (which are hard to deal with guitar in hand) and save it to the PBC preset slot so moving forward I don't have to fiddle with the switches unless I want to come up something new and then save that to another preset.

One followup question on the tap tempo - I set up the Function button on the PBC to be tap tempo and simply using the RJM editor - set it to Tonal Recall Tap Tempo using the edit button drop down on the Function button. Its sets it as a momentary button on CC#93 so TR sees the PBC function taps through MIDI the same as the tap switch on the TR pedal itself. So I assume its just adjusting the tempo on the current settings on the TR and has no effect on the other TR preset slot setting on PBC and unless I save it, it is only temporary on the current TR preset. This is how I want it to be.

But when you say "However, tempo/clock info from the PBC will always override any tempo saved in the TR. This is so you don't have to have presets for each of your delay settings and tempos." - I think you are speaking about a different way to set up tap tempo (maybe through midi clock) Correct?
I don't believe the TR saves tap tempo info in it's presets. It will save the preset at whatever "time" it's created at, based on the position of the Time knob and the subdivisions switch... in other words, it saves knob positions and switch positions, but not tap tempo information.

There are two ways to send tempo to the TR from the PBC. One would be the function switch setup you have. The other would be programmed BPM info at the PBC preset or song level.

Back