Effect Gizmo Routing with an Axefx 2

claxor

Guys,

I have an Axefx 2 rig, and have a few additional outside effects I like to use with it. I plan on using the Effect Gizmo to work with some mono outside effects in front of the Axefx and some stereo effects in the stereo loop of the Axefx. I'm having trouble figuring out how to place my Electro-Harmonics Mel9 pedal in the routing.

The Mel9 pedal allows you 2 outputs: one with wet signal and a mix knob, and the other output with only the dry signal available. This dry only output is helpful when you want your normal guitar sound to accompany the Mellotron effect sound. I'd like the dry output of the pedal to enter the normal input of the Axefx and the amp cab sims, etc. I want the wet Mellotron effect sound to enter the Axefx stereo effect loop for it's own signal chain, and effects. That way I separate my distorted guitar and the clean mellotron sounds.

Here's the problem: the Mel9 pedal is mono, and it's going into a stereo effects loop, but I need the Effect Gizmo to switch the Mel9 and 2 other outside stereo effects devices. (A stereo digitech pedal and a stereo TC effect pedal).

I'm not sure how to do the Effect Gizmo routing here, with the Mel9, and the 2 stereo effects. Ideas?

Thanks!

I know nothing about that pedal, unfortunately, but from the description, my best guess is the following:

- Don't bother using the dry output. It doesn't seem like there's any need, and it probably would cause feedback in the configuration you suggest.
- In the effects loop, connect the loop send to the effect input using a standard mono cable. Connect the effect output to the loop return using a mono->stereo converter cable. Note that the you will lose the stereo separation of any effects that come before the mono pedal when the mono pedal is turned on.

So, how would I connect the pedal and the other stereo outside effects with the effect gizmo? Use a Y-not box?

No additional gear required:

- Axe-Fx Send to Effect Gizmo loop 9 in
- Stereo effects in loops 9-12
- Effect Gizmo loop 12 out to Axe-Fx Return

No additional gear required:

- Axe-Fx Send to Effect Gizmo loop 9 in
- Stereo effects in loops 9-12
- Effect Gizmo loop 12 out to Axe-Fx Return

Ok, but just so I understand:

- Axefx stereo send to effect gizmo loop 9 stereo in
- send 9 (with mono cable) to EH Mel9 pedal mono input
- EH Mel9 pedal mono output to return 9 (with mono cable)
- stereo cable (TRS) from Out 9 to In 10
- Stereo effects in loops 10-12
- Effect Gizmo loop out 12 to Axefx stereo return

This way, I can use the Mel9 in the Axefx's stereo effects loop, and still use my other outside stereo effects in true stereo? Having the Mel9 pedal in this manner will not disrupt the flow of my stereo effect devices I use with the Axefx?

The only correction is that you need a mono to stereo converter cable to go from the Mel9 output to loop return. That will make sure the pedal's output ends up on both sides of the stereo image (although it will be the same signal on both sides). If you use a mono cable there, the Mel9 will only end up on the left side.

If the Mel9 is in loop 9, it won't mess with the stereo output of loops 10-12. It will mess with any stereo signal coming from the Axe-Fx's loop send - it will only take the signal from the left side of the Axe-Fx send. There's nothing you can do about that except use two Mel9s, one for left and one for right.

Ok, but if I use this configuration, and don't use 2 Mel9 pedals... Once the one Mel9 pedal is not patched in with the Effect Gizmo... The stereo effect loop and all outside stereo effects should all be in full stereo, as normal, right?

I forgot to ask this before:

Do you recommend using an ISO splitter box instead of a mono to stereo cable in this scenario we talked about above? Like the Tone Saver, or is this not necessary?

An isolated splitter won't do what you need, a mono to stereo cable is really the only thing that'll work.

Back