New Ground Loop..Effect Gizmo, Pedalboard and Amp head. Help needed

If you have a ground loop, that means you have more than one ground connection between devices. This causes a loop, which acts as an antenna that picks up AC line noise. When you use a ground lifted cable, you break the loop at one point, but there's still a ground connection between devices. For example, it's common to lift the ground on an effect loop return. There would still be a ground connection between the effect loop send and your effect, which is all that's needed.

If you have a ground loop, that means you have more than one ground connection between devices. This causes a loop, which acts as an antenna that picks up AC line noise. When you use a ground lifted cable, you break the loop at one point, but there's still a ground connection between devices. For example, it's common to lift the ground on an effect loop return. There would still be a ground connection between the effect loop send and your effect, which is all that's needed.

Thanks Ron. I understand that bit. however, if I break the ground on the cable I will only have the hot connection to the tip of the TS plug and nothing connected to the sleeve. I thought I still needed both connections to carry signal in a simple unbalanced TS connection. Is that not the case.

That's not the only connection between your devices. If you disconnect the ground on the return, there's still a ground on the send. It doesn't matter if the ground connection resides in a different cable. The ground on the send and return jacks are connected together, so the send cable provides a ground for both send and return.

Back