LT Bank question

claxor

I would typically use a midi controller with the Axefx 2 for changing scenes in a preset, but I have a need that I can't quite figure out looking at the manual: I need the midi pedal to also do a special thing on only one preset on the axefx 2. I need the LT to work in scenes (as normal), but on a particular Axefx preset, I need one scene button on the LT to also send PC messages to an external midi device. On other Axefx presets, I don't want the external device to be sent PC messages.

Is this possible? On the Fractal MFC you can't assign a button on one preset to do this, and on another preset to NOT have that same button do this.

For example:

Axefx Preset 001:
Scenes 1,2,3,4,5 work normally & ignore a midi Digitech Whammy connected in the rig

Axefx Preset 002:
Scenes 1 and 2 ALSO send a PC message to to turn ON a setting on a Digitech Whammy
Scenes 3 and 4 ALSO send a PC message to to turn OFF a setting on a Digitech Whammy

Axefx Preset 003:
Scenes 1,2,3,4,5 work normally & ignore a midi Digitech Whammy connected in the rig

Using local button pages will definitely allow you to do that. You can assign different button pages to specific presets, which allows you to change any button(s) you like. This has to be done in the editor software, and the editor manual can be found here:

www.rjmmusic.com/wiki

Using local button pages will definitely allow you to do that. You can assign different button pages to specific presets, which allows you to change any button(s) you like. This has to be done in the editor software, and the editor manual can be found here:

www.rjmmusic.com/wiki

A little confused: are "pages" the same thing as "banks" on other midi controllers?

A little confused: are "pages" the same thing as "banks" on other midi controllers?
No, they're not. The LT still has banks like other MIDI controllers. By default, there are 4 preset buttons and bank up and bank down buttons that allow you to select banks.

Pages are different button configurations. Right out of the box, the LT starts up with a page of preset and bank buttons, but if you press the Function button, you change to the next button page. The other buttons (except the Function button) charge their function to do something completely different - the buttons now send CC messages when pressed.

You can have 16 global button pages, and each preset can have its own local button page.

I see.

Looking at the Mastermind LT, I see that the bank down and bank up buttons also say "5" and "6". If these are additional preset buttons, how do you access them?

I see.

Looking at the Mastermind LT, I see that the bank down and bank up buttons also say "5" and "6". If these are additional preset buttons, how do you access them?

5 and 6 are just there to let people know how the system numbers the buttons. For example, on the second button page in the factory configuration, there are six IA buttons, and those two are labeled 5 and 6.

Those buttons are not preset buttons by default, but nothing is stopping you from going in to the editor and making them preset buttons. All buttons are user configurable.

Ok. Another question:

In an Axefx 2 rig I'm planning to have 5 button pages on the Mastermind LT in use for these purposes: controlling normal scenes, controlling with an external whammy, controlling a pigtronix looper, and controlling external pedals in a mini effect gizmo. Each page will use the 1-4 buttons.

With this in mind, what is the best method you suggest for selecting the Axefx 2's presets? Bank Down/Bank Up; Preset Down/Preset Up; or is there a better way? Maybe there should be a 6th page just for selecting Axefx 2 presets?

If you want to control presets on the Axe-Fx without changing anything on any of your other devices, then use Device PC - and Device PC + buttons. Or, if you only use a small number of presets, then create a bunch of IA buttons that are grouped together, each that sends a different PC to the Axe-Fx.

If you want to control presets on the Axe-Fx without changing anything on any of your other devices, then use Device PC - and Device PC + buttons. Or, if you only use a small number of presets, then create a bunch of IA buttons that are grouped together, each that sends a different PC to the Axe-Fx.

Ok, but for scrolling Axefx 2 presets, what do I map/connect the Device PC - and Device PC + buttons to? I don't see any Up Preset or Down Preset midi commands in the Axefx 2 manual. What PC or CC numbers in the Axefx 2 scroll up and down presets?

Device PC - and + send PC messages, the LT will keep track of the current preset and send one lower or one higher PC number each time you press a button. It's a feature of the LT, not the Axe-Fx.

When you set a button to Device PC - or + type, there will be a setting below the Type option that allows you select which device the button communicates with.

Device PC - and + send PC messages, the LT will keep track of the current preset and send one lower or one higher PC number each time you press a button. It's a feature of the LT, not the Axe-Fx.

When you set a button to Device PC - or + type, there will be a setting below the Type option that allows you select which device the button communicates with.

1) Wow... and no additional "IA Actions" on that particular "Button Settings" window are necessary for scrolling Axefx 2 presets (unless you want the LT to do more than this one action?)

2) What about the "IA Settings" section on the "Button Settings" window? Nothing more required?

1) Wow... and no additional "IA Actions" on that particular "Button Settings" window are necessary for scrolling Axefx 2 presets (unless you want the LT to do more than this one action?)

2) What about the "IA Settings" section on the "Button Settings" window? Nothing more required?

Correct, set type to Device PC + or -, and set the device that it's going to control. You don't need or want to set anything else. It's best to have an empty action list or at least have Send on Preset Change turned off so that it doesn't send MIDI messages you're not expecting.

Back