Rack decimator with rg16.

Hey! This isn’t really a wiring question but more of a “will this do what I want?” Kind of thing, “is this piece of gear necessary?”.

My plan is to run 2 heads. Mesa boogie dual rec. and a peavey 6505+. That’s the easy part the rg 16 can handle that just fine. I’m also going to be using a radial valve head switcher to take care of the cabinet side of things so both heads can run into a single cabinet. The slingshot out on the radial will be it’s own loop I believe. That’s not a big deal.

Now to what I can’t figure out. I want to run a rack decimator for my noise gate/suppressor. What I do t know is if I need the stereo mod version or not. I would like to have the ability to use both FX loops on both amps if I wanted to. Along woth that would I be able to use just 1 chorus, delay, whatever and use the loops to send to whichever loop I wanted to or would I need 2 of whatever pedals...? I can’t find a definite answer. Thanks!

If you want to use the effect loops of both amps, then you will need the stereo decimator. If your effects are mono, you will need two of them, one for each side. If they have stereo inputs and outputs, you only need one of each effect.

Ok, sounds like what I was thinking was going to happen. Maybe 1 pedal is a stereo capable pedal so that’s that. Not worth getting a stereo unit for 1 pedal. Now for another question. Could I use a decimator non stereo version and be able to switch which FX loop I’m using? Run my guitar into channel 1 for instance, and use channel 2 in a loop for both heads?

The only way you can get away with a mono Decimator is if you only use the effect return of the second amp. That is, effect send of Amp 1 goes to the Decimator, then through the delay, and the stereo outputs of the delay go to the returns of both amps.

If you want to use the effect sends of both amps to get the sound both amps' preamps, you have a stereo signal and you will need a stereo Decimator.

Thanks for clearing things up for me. Other than that I guess the rg16 is hooked up like normal for anything that I want out front as well as channel switching.

Back