RJM Editor for Apple M Series

LukeTheMore

Hi all !

I just want to know if a "native version" of RJM Editor for Apple "M series" is planned or not ...

Thanks !

Hi all !

I just want to know if a "native version" of RJM Editor for Apple "M series" is planned or not ...

Thanks !
I can't do it without breaking compatibility with older Macs, not even with a universal binary. And maintaining two separate Mac releases is not something I'd like to have to deal with, especially since there doesn't seem to be a lot of benefit to having a native version.

That said, I'll certainly be required to do it at some point, but honestly I'll try to put it off as long as I can so I don't abandon users with older Macs any earlier than I have to.

Thanks for your answer !

I'm a programmer but I never developed on the "Mac side" ...

I don't know which languages / framework you used to made the editor ... can you tell me more about it ?

I used Qt, which is the best solution I've found for writing one app that can be compiled for both Windows and Mac. Also, it's C++ based which is important because it includes some of the Mastermind source code, which is also C++.

Perhaps a silly question... what would be the advantage of a native Apple Silicon version?
This is what I pondered. Seems to work fine currently and it's not like it needs blazing high performance to edit patches or send serial data over a USB 2 interface. I'll take long term compatibility over performance for this kinda software. Then I can take a 10 year old "worthless" Mac on the road if required for editing, rather than my £4k studio one I don't want to leave the house!

This is what I pondered. Seems to work fine currently and it's not like it needs blazing high performance to edit patches or send serial data over a USB 2 interface. I'll take long term compatibility over performance for this kinda software. Then I can take a 10 year old "worthless" Mac on the road if required for editing, rather than my £4k studio one I don't want to leave the house!
Agreed. I wouldn't even notice faster data transfer. For me, the key is stability and functionality, which the editor has in great abundance.

I predict this entire issue of native ARM CPU architecture compatibility will get quite interesting with the new Snapdragon X chips on the new Windows laptops that are going to be announced in the coming months.

I predict this entire issue of native ARM CPU architecture compatibility will get quite interesting with the new Snapdragon X chips on the new Windows laptops that are going to be announced in the coming months.
It will get interesting for sure. I'm running Windows 11 for ARM on my M3 Mac and it works quite well. It seems to be as backward compatible with Intel apps as the MacOS side is.

It will get interesting for sure. I'm running Windows 11 for ARM on my M3 Mac and it works quite well. It seems to be as backward compatible with Intel apps as the MacOS side is.
That's interesting, that is similar to what Linus Torvalds the creator of Linux is doing, running Linux on Mac hardware

Back