2 amps AB/Y or single preamp into both amps w effects gizmo?

Hi all,

I am just working out how to wire up my new effects gizmo, and order the relevant cables, and quickly got stuck wondering if and how I can have the best of both worlds...

Is it possible to hook up the effects gizmo to all of:
- 2 amp heads, both with FX loops
- TC Electronic G System (mono in, and mono or stereo out)
- an additional stereo FX unit with L+R TS input and L+R TS output

And have all of the following signal path options selectable by the effects gizmo:
1) typical parallel 2-amp AB/Y setup where one can have either amp A or amp B or both on, and
- amp A's preamp in the insert loop (either direct or from a loop from the RJM EG) of the G System, then having the G's L(mono) out going through the L channel of the stereo FX unit, and into amp A's FX return to feed the power section
- amp B's preamp in a loop from the EG feeding into the R channel of the stereo FX unit and into amp B's FX return
2) selectable single preamp setup from the two amps, with pre gain boost / ODs / distortion pedals in front, passing through the G system and then the additional stereo FX unit, with each separated L or R mono going into the FX returns of amp A and B, respectively

The main difference between options 1 and 2 is that in the first, the signal path incl preamp B is separated from and in parallel to that flows through the G system, whereas in the second option, either preamp could go via the g system.

I can figure out the wiring for each option, but am stuck on how to achieve both.

As the G system is mono in, and mono or stereo out, I understand that, if a stereo effect is used, and only the L mono out is chosen, that there is no internal mixing of the two sides, but that only the L channel comes out. Hence the mono effects from this unit could be used with the first amp in parallel to the second, and both amps feeding separate L + R channels of the stereo FX.

The second stereo FX unit has a true bypass option controllable via MIDI, so it would be possible to turn this in / off from the device, rather than an EG loop, if there was going to be a shortage of EG loops. I'd like to use loops 1-4 I the EG for any common effects pedals in front of both amps, whereas I would like to have some others specifically for amp A only that can go in either of the four loops on the G system.

Your insights and tips as to if and how this may be achieved are much welcomed.

Cheers,

Mendel

Re: 2 amps AB/Y or single preamp into both amps w effects gi

:geek: :?: difficult, or too difficult?... Could still use some help here!

One thing I forgot to mention that may make things work is that the first amp has two independent alternately switchable series FX loops. That should make it possible to run:
- in parallel Amp A and Amp B setup where either one or both (power amps) are on, by looping in preamp A via amp A FX loop 1 on the amp, and the signal is split earlier from the EG to feed both preamps A and B, and the signal from the FX loop S from amp B will go via the EG / FX back into the amp B FX return
- alternatively using FX loop 2 on amp A, feed EITHER preamp A OR preamp B into amp A's FX2 return using the G system's Out -R, with Out-L from the G going into amp B FX return

Still not clear as to how to hook it all up to the EG, and wondering if / how it is possible to achieve what I have in mind.

Thanks!

Re: 2 amps AB/Y or single preamp into both amps w effects gi

Definitely this is a very ambitious goal - any time you're using switching to move effects or amps from one location or another, it gets complicated really quickly.

That's not to say that it's impossible - with enough work, you probably can get most of all of your goal accomplished. Designing a rig like this is outside the scope of the support we can provide. Hiring a rig builder to work this out with you might be a good idea. There's going to be quite a lot of up-front design, and some experimentation to make sure everything is going to work as expected.

Back