Axe-Fx III support behind the scenes

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
There's some unusual stuff I had to do in order to get Axe-Fx III support working. If you do a little digging in the default settings, you will see some of it. I figured I should write this down somewhere for those who need it or who are simply curious.

"FAKE CCs"
The Axe-Fx III is actually being controlled by Sysex messages sent from the GT. However, the GT is really designed to work with CCs - the built in device database only uses CC numbers, for example. What's worse, the Axe-Fx III ships without any CC numbers predefined at all. Using CCs would require you to go in and manually set all of them in the Axe-Fx. The way I got around it is to use fake CC numbers, which are translated by the software into Sysex messages behind the scenes. This allows you to continue using the typical Assign CCs and Set Default Buttons features in the GT without so much configuration needed on the Axe-Fx.

CC values are also a bit different than normal. In addition to value 0 for bypass and value 127 for active, there are values that select the effect channel:
Value 0: Bypass effect block
Value 1: Select channel A
Value 2: Select channel B
Value 3: Select channel C
Value 4: Select channel D
Value 127: Enable effect block

This allows us to use one CC number that can select effect state and channel.

If you look at the default settings, you can see examples of how all of this works.

GET PRESET NAMES / SCENES
When you do a Get Preset Names and have Get Scenes turned on, the following things will happen:
  • The GT will switch into song and setlist mode
  • Each selected Axe-Fx preset name will be written to a GT song
  • Scenes within each Axe-Fx preset will have their names written into GT presets. (This can be anywhere from 1 to 8 scenes per Axe-Fx preset, which you can choose using the Scenes / Song parameter)
  • Each GT preset will be assigned to the appropriate GT song
  • Each GT preset will have a preset action assigned to it that sends the appropriate scene select message to the Axe-Fx
So, in the end you get one GT song for each Axe-Fx preset, and one GT preset for each Axe-Fx scene. Pressing a GT preset button will select a scene, pressing Bank Up or Bank Down selects an Axe-Fx preset.

There's a lot of confusion on how this works, because this is such a departure from the way it worked with the Axe-Fx II. The current plan is to keep this method as an option, but also have another option that follows the previous approach - no songs are used, preset buttons select Axe-Fx presets and there are separate scene select buttons that select Axe-Fx scenes.

Thanks for the info. Clever solutions.

Suppose one would enter specific CCs on the III itself in I/O > MIDI/Remote, would that interfere with the GT's internal system?

Last edited:
I have to admit something: the Scenes-to-Presets things is growing on me a little. ;-)

If implemented, would there be an alternative to Preset Number? I use that a lot but it doesn't work in the Scenes-to-Presets scenario.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

Suppose one would enter specific CCs on the III itself in I/O > MIDI/Remote, would that interfere with the GT's internal system?

No, it wouldn't interfere, the nice thing about their Sysex interface is that it completely bypasses CCs and is not any way user configurable (aside from Send Realtime Sysex), so users can't acidentally screw it up. :)

I have to admit something: the Scenes-to-Presets things is growing on me a little. ;-)

If implemented, would there be an alternative to Preset Number? I use that lots but it doesn't work in the Scenes-to-Presets scenario.

Ah, good to hear! In that case, I would just need to make a Song Number menu to access GT Songs/ Axe-Fx Presets. Not too difficult.

I personally like this approach, and it's definitely not going to go away, but I'm now reasonably convinced that we need both options.

Is it possible that "External x" haven't been assigned to fake CCs yet?

I've programmed a couple of buttons to "External .." but they don't seem to do anything.

Is it possible that "External x" haven't been assigned to fake CCs yet?

I've programmed a couple of buttons to "External .." but they don't seem to do anything.

Forgot to mention, the External controllers are not part of the Sysex interface. Those have to be done the old way - go into the Axe-Fx and assign CC numbers to each External. Start with External 1 as CC11, and go up sequentially from there. The GT knows to use actual CCs for those controllers.

Hey Ron, I'm so glad to hear that the GT will be getting dedicated [SCENE] buttons as that will be perfect for the way I use the GT!
Before I found this thread I even made a suggestion in the new firmware thread requesting this exact feature, hah.

Anyway, RJM is awesome! Thanks so much!

Hey Ron, I'm so glad to hear that the GT will be getting dedicated [SCENE] buttons as that will be perfect for the way I use the GT!
Before I found this thread I even made a suggestion in the new firmware thread requesting this exact feature, hah.

Anyway, RJM is awesome! Thanks so much!

FYI, you can set up scene buttons now, and they will work. They just won't display the actual scene names, and they will always start on scene 1 when you change presets. Once the next beta is out, both of those things should automatically start working. When you do Get Preset Names, just make sure to turn Get Scenes off and make sure that Setlist is set to None.

Hi there! I recently got a GT16 and an Axe-fx 3.

I was going to keep it pretty simple control wise
bottom and middle rows from left to right 1-5 just for presets (10 total)
far right bottom and middle bank up and down
top 1 & 2 tuner and tap tempo
IA mode...I don't know much about this but maybe to switch to looper control/hold/freeze etc

Is there a way to download the presets to setup that way described as above? I'm not interested in scenes at all at this stage that is shown in this video

Is there any videos online that show how to use song/setlist mode also?

IA mode...I don't know much about this but maybe to switch to looper control/hold/freeze etc

Is there a way to download the presets to setup that way described as above? I'm not interested in scenes at all at this stage that is shown in this video

If you do Get Preset Names with Get Scenes turned off, it will just get the preset names and ignore scenes entirely.

You can definitely reassign the buttons the way you want, but it will have to be done manually. I recommend using the editor software for speed. There are videos on our site regarding the editor. I don't think we have any song/setlist videos, but some users have done some, I think. The best description of song/setlist we have is in the GT manual.

Last edited:

Hi gearhound.
I, like you, have just begun the process of getting my GT/22 talking to my AxeFXIII.
Like Ron suggests, if you use the Editor it is much easier.
In fact the song/setlist setup is dead simple.
Setting up the GT/22 for controlling the AxeFXIII was also very simple and I even changed the layout of quite a few of the buttons.

Back