Axe FX tuner on GT

Yes, it should definitely display. Things to check:

- Need to have a device defined as an Axe-Fx in the GT's settings
- You need to use MIDI cables that allow for bidirectional communication (not a 5 pin cable that only has 3 wires, which is somewhat common in off the shelf cables).
- In MIDI Settings, MIDI Bidir needs to be turned on (should be turned on automatically, but it's best to check)
- You need to have a tuner button assigned on the GT to activate the tuner.
- Realtime sysex needs to be turned on on the Axe-Fx (I know you did this, just listing it for completeness)

Check all of that and let us know what you find...

Hmm, pretty sure all that is done.

Bi directional appears to be working as the GT reads preset names from Axe II. Also cable is the one I got from you guys that is xlr powering the GT from the breakout box. I am pretty sure if it was cable, it would not read axe preset names?

Axe II is configured under device and when assigning CCs I can select axe function from drop down list.

IA for tuner works as it puts axe into tuner mode, but no display of tuner on GT.

Realtime sysex is on and set to all on the axe.

In GT editor bi directionl is active. Going to check on the GT itself just in case.

Hey Toasterdude!

I remember I had an issue a little while back where if your tuner isn't on the 'tune' page then I wasn't getting any data on the GT. The axe was definitely going into tuner mode though because it was muting the output (which is how I've got mine set up). Press the tuner button on the front panel and double check it's not on config or offsets.

Glennski said:
Hey Toasterdude!

I remember I had an issue a little while back where if your tuner isn't on the 'tune' page then I wasn't getting any data on the GT. The axe was definitely going into tuner mode though because it was muting the output (which is how I've got mine set up). Press the tuner button on the front panel and double check it's not on config or offsets.

Hmm, yeap Axe is on tuner page. My GT is set to receive on channel 16, but as I said I can read the preset names no problem so they are talking to each other.
Weird.

Axe FX II, FW is 10.11

Was thinking about DLing FW 11 beta but it looks like there will be lots of changes to the amps so I may hold off.

I have tried changing the realtime sysex on the Axe to tuner instead of all, but that also does not work. Weird.

fwiw I've been using both 10.12 and 11 beta and they both work fine here. I'm using just a regular hosa 5 pin midi cable though.

Weird. I am using the RJM breakout but as I said the MMGT reads Axe preset names etc so bi directional seems to be working. Not a huge deal right now as I am away from home for two more months and the axe is on a desk next to me so tuning is not a huge deal. Just tryin to get the GT pedal board all straightened away for when I get home etc.

Hmm... If you're not on midi channel 1 for the axe, try changing it to that. Maybe there's a bug on the GT side of things? That's the only other difference I can think of....

I just tried GT 1.2.1 with Axe-Fx 10.11 and the tuner is working fine for me. I think the next step is to use a PC or Mac with a MIDI interface to see what MIDI messages, exactly, are being sent by the Axe-Fx. Are you set up to do this?

I will be back in same city as MMGT on friday. I think I may have changed the GT midi receive channel to 16, but am not sure. Would that have an effect on the GT receiving the sysex for tuner? I figured if reading preset names worked all was well. I will check all of the above friday.

THe channel shouldn't matter - the tuner works using Sysex messages, which have no channel associated with them. If you could capture some of the sysex messages that are sent when the Axe tuner is on, I'd be able to figure out what's happening.

rjmmusic said:
THe channel shouldn't matter - the tuner works using Sysex messages, which have no channel associated with them. If you could capture some of the sysex messages that are sent when the Axe tuner is on, I'd be able to figure out what's happening.

Learned that midi channel didn't matter last night as I changed the GT receive channel but noted that was for PC only. Since I am away from home, I don't have mi mid interface with me, so it may need to wait until I get back home in october. Not a major deal as my Axe is right next to me on the desk and no gigs here in Colombia.

After rereading this, I'm not sure that you have both actions on the button:

Axe-Fx:CC Toggle Tuner off:0 on:127
System / Tuner

do you have both on your tuner button? The latter is the one that turns on the display on the GT.

Back