Blackstar HT Stage 60 cable - AC-HTSTAGE

carlosmoreton

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a RG-16 and the mastermind controller. I have a Blackstar Stage 60 2x12 3 channel combo, and have also purchased the interface cable.

Looking at the istruction with the cable, switches 1 to 3 select channels 1 to 3 and swicth 5 turns reverb on and off.

The blackstar Stage 60 amp have 2 voicing for each channel, For example, channel 3 (OD2) voicing on gives more mid for a solo, and voicing off less mid for crunch.

It looks like the interface cable doesn't change the voicings of the amp..! Why have RJM gone to the trouble of making a cable and not incorporating all footswitchable functionality...? I know that the voicing switching with the amp involves plugging in another 1/4 inch jack footswitch, could RJM not have incorporated this into their AC-HTSTAGE cable..?

My question is, do I have to use the RG-16 (open / closed tip) functionality to control the voicings of my amp...?

Otherwise, I am greatly impressed by the RJM product. I had the voodoo lab system about 4 years ago, but I love the amp channel switching functionality of the RG-16... :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 4.57.29 PM.png.pdf
    349.6 KB · Views: 10
We haven't yet found a really reliable way to make a cable that splits into multiple plugs. We've done it before, but I'm not happy with the results (the 4x1/4" cable is an exception - we have those mass produced and they have some tricks we can't reasonably do when building by hand).

If you have a loop free on the RG-16, you can plug the output of, say, loop 8 into the switch jack on the amp. That'll switch the voicing for you.

I don't like to miss a feature like that, so I will continue to look for a good solution to this. I wish Blackstar had not put that feature on a completely different footswitch jack than all the other features - I'm guessing that adding voicing switching was a last minute decision before going into production.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah no problem. To be honest I forgot that voicing applies only to channel 3, so as you say it's a case of using a spare loop.

But, as you say it must have been a last minute thought by BS as why would they not put it on the considerably sized footswitch that comes with the amp...?

Anyway, I love the RG-16 and the mastermind is a nice sized unit. I love the fact that if I want to use another amp, it's a case of simply getting a different interface cable from RJM.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Carl
UK.

By the way, if all of your loops are taken, you could also use the 1/4" interface cable I mentioned to use alongside the regular HT STAGE cable - that would work just as well.

Thanks very much!

I use a Blackstar HT Stage 100 in one of my rigs. Just wondering if there have there been any developments regarding the inclusion of the OD2 voice switching in the RJM interface cable? Also, looking at the photo of the #AC-HTSTAGE-10 on your webshop, I assume the photo isn't correct as the Blackstar uses a 9-pin serial-type connector.

Thanks!

Ron,

Assuming the answer is no to my first question, here's a request which I hope you don't find too cheeky - would you be able to give me a wiring diagram so that I can build my own cable for this application? Thanks.

We're still not building a split cable for that application - the durability issues are still not something we can satisfactorily solve.

If you choose to try building the cable, please do one test first: using an ohmmeter, measure between pin 5 of the amp's footswitch connector and the ground of the 1/4" switching jack. The two should be connected, reading almost 0 ohms. If there is no connection, they don't share a common ground and trying to switch them with the same cable probably wouldn't work (and might not be safe). If they share a ground, it's safe to proceed.

I've attached the cable diagram we use. For the 1/4" part, you need to connect the tip of the 1/4" to one of the unused pins on the 8-pin DIN jack (6, 7 or 8?) Because of the common ground, you don't have to connect the ground of the 1/4" jack, but you can if you want to.

If you try it, please let me know how it works!

(BTW, you're right, I need to fix the picture in the shopping cart - the actual cable does of course have a DB-9 connector).

Attachments

• AC-HTSTAGE.pdf
    353.7 KB · Views: 509
Ron,

You're a star! Thanks for that. I'll try that out and post back.

I have nothing but praise for your customer support - excellent! :)

rjmmusic said:
If you choose to try building the cable, please do one test first: using an ohmmeter, measure between pin 5 of the amp's footswitch connector and the ground of the 1/4" switching jack. The two should be connected, reading almost 0 ohms. If there is no connection, they don't share a common ground and trying to switch them with the same cable probably wouldn't work (and might not be safe). If they share a ground, it's safe to proceed.
Good call, Ron. It seems that these connections don't share a common ground.

I think I shall just use the AC-HTSTAGE cable as is and switch the OD2 voice via a function output on my Musicom.

PS: I urgently need to get hold of a AC-HTSTAGE cable but will contact you offline on this.

Back