Dual rectifier interface cable: weird "buzzing" issue

Xelic

Hi,

Since recently I've got a weird problem with my Gizmo interface cable (connected to dual rectifier head).
When I switch the amp on I often get a weird and very loud kind of buzzing noise from inside the amps circuitry.
I can "fix" it by taking hold of the cable just behind the black box and applying a little pressure. It's no exact science,
I just have to fiddle with it until the buzzing stops and than it works fine until the cable moves again and I have to start the whole thing over.

Any idea what the problem might be and if I could fix this on my own somehow? I don't live in the US so I'm a bit reluctant to ship it back...

You could open it up and look for loose connections. At the end of 2009, we had a bad batch of cables where the ends of the cable were not properly shielded. I thought that we got them all back, but another one from that batch seems to pop up every few months, unfortunately. If you remove the screw from the connector on each end of the cable and slide the shield back, you will be able to see if there's any problem - the cables in question do not have the cable clamp securely connected to the gray cable jacket (the bare shield wire should be under the cable clamp as well).

If you have any questions about it, the best thing might be to open it up and send me some pictures.

Ok, I'll check next time I'm in the rehearsal room.
Quick other question: I might be able to "exchange" my current 3 chan dual rectifier for the newer multi-watt version. Any idea if I would be able to switch the new "tuner out" function using the Gizmo?

If the cable label reads "Mesa RRN" (it should), then it will switch the tuner mute on the newer Rectos.

rjmmusic said:
You could open it up and look for loose connections. At the end of 2009, we had a bad batch of cables where the ends of the cable were not properly shielded. I thought that we got them all back, but another one from that batch seems to pop up every few months, unfortunately. If you remove the screw from the connector on each end of the cable and slide the shield back, you will be able to see if there's any problem - the cables in question do not have the cable clamp securely connected to the gray cable jacket (the bare shield wire should be under the cable clamp as well).

If you have any questions about it, the best thing might be to open it up and send me some pictures.

Finally found the time to check my cable, didn't have a camera on my so I'll try to describe the problem.
As you said, it is indeed an improperly shielded cable, that was contacting the circuit board. If the chip on the circuit board is facing downwards, the cable most to right (black) is not shielded (from the end that goes into the amp).
I temporarily solved the "buzzing" issue by lifting the unshielded cable away from the circuit board.
Would it be possible to get a replacement? This cable will be used in my live rig and it would be quite embarrassing to have to dive behind my rack in the middle of a gig to wiggle a cable around :roll:

Can you please send me a picture? That doesn't sound like the problem I was discussing. The known problem involves the connector on the Amp Gizmo / RG-16 side.

In any event, if it's acting odd, you can definitely send the cable back for a replacement. Please send to the address on our site.

Picture time:

2jtatg.jpg

Apologies for confusing you, I meant the Gizmo side.
To reiterate: the buzzing issue was caused by the non-isolated wire touching the circuit board which is ok (for now) because I lifted it away from the board.

Interesting - we haven't seen that problem before, but I can see how it could happen. I think we'll start putting a sleeve over the bare wire.

I'm afraid I have to reopen this thread:

As mentioned I "solved" the issue by lifting the non-isolated wire away from the circuit board. However, from time to time it shifted and the problem resurfaced. Until now, I just unscrewed the lid from the cover, pulled the wire carefully away from the board and I was good for some time...

Not anymore, something else is causing a short in the signal now and I can't pinpoint where it is...as soon as I plugin the cable into the amp, the relays (not sure about the technical term) go crazy...any suggestions?
Thx

Have you looked at the other ends of the cable (the ones with the DIN connectors)? Something there might have come loose...

How do I do that (don't have the cable here)? I can just take off the cover from the connector and check the connections?
Thanks for the quick reply.

Back