Effect Gizmo Wet/Dry Setup (With Kemper KPA)

tshaw

I searched the forums and couldn't find any threads regarding how to set up an Effect Gizmo for a wet/dry setup... It could be that I'm missing something really simple, but I'm wondering if there's a simple way to set up for that with the Effect Gizmo.

I intend to set up my loops as follows:

1) CBA Brothers
2) Xotic SP Comp
3) Xotic EP Booster
4) Custom Tones Ethos Clean II
5) Thorpy Peacemaker
6) Keeley D&M Drive Side
7) Keeley D&M Boost Side
8) Strymon Deco
9) CBA Warped Vinyl
**Dry Send out between loops 9&10? (I use a gig rig humdinger to make the split in my current setup)**
10) Empress Echostation
11) Empress Reverb
12) Strymon Flint

I send the Dry send into the KPA as my input, then put the last three pedals in the effects loop of the KPA.

Is there a way to split off the send after loop 9 and send it to the Kemper, and come back in to loop 10 with my effects loop output from the Kemper? That would be ideal, as I intend to set up some Kemper control options on my GT/16, and position the volume pedal prior to the kemper's effects loop so that I have trails on the reverbs.

Thanks!

I believe you should be able to do this without any major issues. Your Kemper presets will need to include the effect loop block, I believe. However, I haven't tried it. Maybe someone else here has?

Yes, they definitely need to include the effect loop preset.

In my situation would I put pedals for loops 9-12 in the Effect Gizmo send/return jacks, and send the send out to the KPA in Out 9, then come back into the Effect Gizmo from the effects loops send in to In 10, then into the effects loop return from Out 12?

Thanks Ron - One other issue,

I've been setting my rack up slowly in my free time (still waiting on a couple cables to come in) and I've got my MIDI situation all worked out and happy, still have a few more power cables to make for my non-midi shelf, which is why i've waited to wire up my 1/4" cables (I have this neurotic thing where I want my 1/4" cables to cross OVER my power cables, not under)

Anyway, while I wait for the power cables to come in, I figured I would get a head start and program my presets in my GT/16 & Effects Gizmo. I will end up using every channel in the Effect Gizmo once it's all said and done, but the strangest thing is happening right now - Loops 1-8 are saving just fine when I set up presets, as is 12, but 9-11 will not stay on when I set up a preset and try to save them in the on position. Do I need to have cables plugged in to those loops? I guess I'm not 100% clear on how they work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

UPDATE: I went ahead and wired in loops 9-11. It's still not saving them as active in any presets. Sometimes they flash when I change presets for a brief moment. I can turn them on manually on the Effect Gizmo or by using IA mode on the GT/16, but it won't save no matter what. I've tried holding 'write' on the Gizmo, I've tried holding IA Store on the GT. Nothing is saving 9-11. I'm stumped.

Well I've tried everything I can think of, including changing the midi channel for the Effect Gizmo and doing a factory reset on it. I've got nothing in my MIDI loop, just the Gizmo and the GT/16 connected together, using one 5 pin MIDI cable and one 7pin MIDI cable. Loops 8-11 (yeah, 8 is included now too, hadn't noticed it before) will not save in the on state. I can turn them on and off either manually with the buttons on the front of the Effect Gizmo or using IA Mode on the GT/16, but saving using the 'Write' button on the Effect Gizmo and using the Store button on the GT/16 are both having no effect on those channels. When I change presets and change back, 8-11 don't come on. Sometimes they blink incredibly briefly when i hit the presets, but they don't stay on. The Gizmo is powered with the GT/16 power supply as well, so I don't think it's a power issue.

Could something be messed up with the Effect Gizmo itself?

Well of it's own volition, loop 11 just started working flawlessly. The relay clicked while I was just sitting here and now it's great. 8-10 are still not working, but I'll just keep writing changes to the GT/16, as that's the last thing I did before loop 11 kicked in... strange

Check for conflicting buttons, for example a lot of people don't notice the IA settings on the Preset buttons - those are also capable of sending messages to the Effect Gizmo loops, and by default, they will send messages on every program change.

Are you talking about the IA actions in the button settings menu? Or the Preset Actions under the Presets menu?

I cleared out the Preset Actions and it had no effect. If I clear out the IA actions in the Button Settings menu I'll lose IA mode functionality won't I?

I finished wiring everything up, and it's all working, save for saving 8-11. Hopefully it's just something simple. The loops themselves work, I can turn them on and off both manually and via the GT/16, so it must just be a setting that's overriding the save? When I switch to patches that are supposed to activate any of those loops, the GT thinks they are active, when I switch to IA mode they are lit up as if they are on, but the Effect Gizmo doesn't kick them on or just blinks on those loops for a split second and they go back off

If the LEDs are turning on, then off again very quickly, that means that you have one MIDI command turning the loop on, followed by another MIDI command turning it off. This can happen when you have more than one button controlling the same feature. If you can't find thh conflict,send me a copy of your settings file and I'll investigate.

I’ll take a look again and see, but I don’t think I do. I may end up sending you the file.

On another note, the Effect Gizmo sometimes ‘freezes’. The leds don’t change even tho the relays are still working per what the GT/16 is instructing it to do. A reboot fixes it but it’s happened a couple times now. Not sure what to make of that.

Well I'm officially stumped. Hopefully you can take a quick peek at this file and something jumps out to you. It's been some time since I used the editor (had a PBC 2 years ago for a little bit) and I'm sure I'm missing something. Thanks.

Attachments

• Tyler1.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Yep, double buttons. For example, the "Clean Tone" preset button controls loop 8 on the Effect Gizmo, but so does the Kemper Patch DN button on page 2. Both of these have IA Mode settings that control loop 8. There are duplicate buttons for each of the loops that have problems.

I'll see how the panel does for now.

With regard to the double buttons, do I just want to clear out any IA actions on pages beyond page 1? I'm assuming I need to keep the ones on Page 1 to allow IA Mode to function on that page.

If you're not ever going to use the IA buttons on the second page, you can clear out the actions on those buttons. If you want to use them, then make sure that IA Link is turned on on all of those buttons. Then, if you turn on an IA button, any IA button that controls the same function will also turn on. That way, they'll never get out of sync.

I knew it had to be something simple like that. Thanks Ron, IA Link has made it work flawlessly.

I have a couple other minor questions to finish getting this thing exactly the way I want:

1) On Page 2 I have a bunch of Device Change PC's set up. As I discovered this morning, using PC's in Performance Mode on the Kemper advances the entire 'page' of settings, not just the patch. I need to use hard CC#'s to change amp patches within the same page. Is an IA the best way to do that? I'd like to be able to not have it be a preset so I can still utilize my presets on Page 1. Also how would I set up having the amp name displayed on the button screen? I noticed it does that when you have the amps set up as presets when you pull it all in automatically like in the GT & Kemper video. I assume it's just an action that needs to be added.

2) If I set Page 2 up like I stated in Question #1, would I be able to set IA's on that page to control PC's on my other 4 pedals that are MIDI controlled by using IA mode?

3) On Page 3 I have my switches for the onboard Kemper effects. I assigned them using the right-click menu and selecting 'Stomp A', 'Stomp B', etc. How do I get the names of the effects to display? Again, something I saw in that Kemper video, I assume it's just another action that needs to be added.

Thanks!

Have you set up the Kemper with a bidirectional MIDI connection? That's necessary to get preset names and effect type names.

Back