Effects Gizmo Fuzzface and the Buffer

strathead

Hi Folks
i folks i have a question regarding using a fuzz face with the effects gizmo and bypassing the buffer
i have kept loop 1 free till now i had been hunting hi and low for a Analogman Sunlion (fuzzface clone)
and just got my hands on one today i tryd it on the floor before the effects gizmo all sounds great
and works perfect
so the next thing was to get the sunlion into my rack and here is where the fun starts
loop 1 doesn't seem to work at all i double checked the leads and their order. I then threw in a tube screamer
and it still wont work ?
so then i put the sunlion into loop 2 and it does work (the same leads) but it sounded mushy not very clear but working all the same
so i researched the forum here to figure out how to bypass the buffer
and read the FAQ: Effect Gizmo Frequently Asked Questions as below

Can I bypass the buffer or run the buffer after my fuzz pedal(s)?

To bypass the buffer altogether, plug your guitar straight into the "Input 1-4" jack. If you want to use the front panel input, connect a short jumper cable from the "From Front" jack to the "Input 1-4" jack. That will also completely bypass the buffer.

:roll: xxx when i do this plug my guitar straight into the "Input 1-4" jack i get a huge hum and noise
and is no different when i plug in the front and run a jumper from the "From Front" jack to the "Input 1-4" jack
i tryd the ground loop switch but it didn't change still a very loud hum and noise

So i then tryd some experiments i plugged my guitar into the return of loop 2 as opposed to the "Input 1-4" jack
and it worked fine the Sunlion sounded clear and more defined :lol:
also i tryd this into the return of loop 1 but it didn't work in that case :?

So Question 1 what are your thoughts regarding Loop 1
and Question 2 what are your thoughts regarding everything else

hope its something simple
Regards
Strathead

:oops: Dont ask me how but i decided to give it one more try this time i put my LeHle P-Split between the "From Front" jack to the "Input 1-4" jack.
and bingo it works so then i decided to take the P-split out of the chain to see would it work without it and it does :?
so i know what you have to be thinking (bad leads) but i have double and treble checked them and they are all working perfectly :?

so i would like to say i thought i had tryd everything before posting here in the first place
i don't know exactly why it wouldn't work before and why it does now its a mystery but obviously
something i was doing wrong that or gremlins ether way i hope i haven't brought any negative attention
to your product cause its the best bit of kit i bought in decades

i have tryd everything with loop 1 and i still cant get it working
when the loop button 1 is engaged i have guitar signal but its unaffected by any pedal i have put in its loop
when the loop button 1 is disengaged i still have guitar signal as it should do

its definitely not bad leads
hope you can help
regards
Strathead :oops:

OK new Gremlin
now when i disengage the loop 4 button i get that very loud hum and noise
when i plug out the leads to loop 4 the return lead to be exact
its the same loud hum as disengaging the loop button

going to bed now
try again in the morning

Looks like we're looking at a few distinct issues....

First, loop 1: If a loop is not activating properly (but the light is turning on), I'd suspect the power supply. Using a 9VDC power supply can cause loops to fail like that. Switching to a 9VAC or 12VDC supply will make the loops work reliably.

Next, the hum when bypassing the buffer. That means you have a floating ground. If the ground lift switch on the Gizmo is pressed in, press it again to pop it out (the "out" position is more or less even with the rear panel.) If the ground lift switch is already in the out position, then we need to do something else....

Assuming that loop 1 is fixed by the above solution, I recommend putting the Sun Face in loop 1, then putting the buffer in loop 2 (buffer in to send 2, buffer out to return 2), That way, the buffer won't interfere with the fuzz, and you'll still get the benefits of the buffer, including its connection to ground, which should solve the hum issue. (You will have to remember to leave loop 2 on in every preset).

... or use loop 9 for the fuzz, connect the "from front" jack to loop 9 in, loop 9 to the fuzz, loop 9 out to the buffer in, and use the rest as normal - this saves using up a loop for the buffer.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: WALK OF SHAME :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

YOUR SUGGESTION FOR PROBLEM 1

First, loop 1: If a loop is not activating properly (but the light is turning on), I'd suspect the power supply. Using a 9VDC power supply can cause loops to fail like that. Switching to a 9VAC or supply will make the loops work reliably.

This got flipped from 12VDC down to 9VDC the day before i got my fuzz pedal as i was checking out an old unit i didn't have a supply for it
i cant believe i forgot to amend that but i did and only noticed something amiss when using loop 1 for the first time as i was saving that slot for my fuzz pedal
i hadn't used it before and the unit seemed perfect otherwise but that's the loop that failed
so i put my hands up and take full responsibility for messing that up and must apologize for my error and thank you for your prompt solution
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
FOR PROBLEM 2
I took out all cables and checked them all each one tests ok is working perfectly
but the cables have to be the culprit on plugging everything back in the hum and hiss came down considerably
so i am going to get tech friend do double check them for me
and i will get back and let you know how i get on :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Back