Eventide H9 midi issue...

Raynov1

Anyone have an Eventide H9 and have problems with downstream midi devices not getting, or getting garbled midi messages? I believe its an H9 issue and not a PBC issue....but was wondering if anyone has had the issue and what you did to resolve it.

MIDI signal chain is as follows: PBC - Modfactor - H9 - Timefactor - Triaxis preamp.

A decent percentage of the time the triaxis will either not receive the PC or it will get what i believe to be a garbled message and changes to the wrong PC. When the H9 is not in the midi chain there are no issues. The H9 is new to the board. The H9 is set to "thru" so it passes on midi information. All devices are on their own midi channels.

I have several midi pedals but only chained up to three, I use a Kenton midi splitter. You could try to reorder the midi connections, midi doesn't care what order the connections are if each pedal is on its own channel.

There are two factors to consider: first is what ekkomouse mentioned - chaining MIDI devices has a limit. Usually, four after a MIDI controller is considered ok, although it's the upper limit. In your case, four may be too many. A MIDI thru box like Kenton or MIDI Solutions would help this.

The other issue is that I've seen bad MIDI thrus on Eventide devices from time to time, a lot more often than I'd expect. Does removing the Modfactor or Timefactor solve the problem as well? If it does, it's probably a MIDI chain length issue. If removing those pedals does not help, but removing the H9 does, then it's almost certainly the H9 at fault. Using a MIDI Thru box would fix it in either case because you wouldn't need to use the H9's thru.

I'm fairly sure it's the H9. I'm transitioning from rack based effects to pedalboard effects and have had my midi chain longer than this with no issues.

Previously during this transition it was:
PBC - modfactor - Timefactor - GCX - Eventide GTR 4000 - TC G-Major - Triaxis.

Never any issues.

So my next question would be does the PBC send its midi PC's in a certain order? Like the order of the device list? If so maybe i can put the downstream devices early in the device list and the H9 last. I'll try that today, but wasn't sure if that was how the PBC structured it's message order....

Update.....i re-ordered the device list in the PBC, putting the H9 last, and that seemed to fix the issue. Played three 1 hour sets last night with no glitches. So i guess that is a work-around for Eventide pedals with flakey midi-thrus.....

I had the exact same issue. My H9 was first in the chain, and i was getting very inconsistent and random changes on my Timeline and Bigsky which were after the H9. I eventually realized it was the H9 causing the issue and moved it to the last midi device in the chain and everything corrected itself. So there is def a pass thru issue with the H9!!

I think it's actually the H9 is very poor at multi-tasking. It apparently can't execute its midi messages at the same time it's passing on messages to downstream devices.

All i did was change the device order in the PBC editor and NOT the physical order on my board. My H9 is still right in the middle of my physical midi chain (1 device before and 2 devices after).....but by changing the order of the device list in the PBC (H9 last) it now gets its midi message last. So it passes all info to other devices BEFORE it recieves/executes its own messages. Works flawlessly for me so far. If i move it back to 1st in the PBC device list (where it was before) i start getting problems again...

Its strange that this solution works considering everything is on separate midi channels, but like i said....i think it's just the H9's apparent inability to read/execute and forward at the same time...

That is a strange solution. I also had to move my H9 after my Echolution2 in the physical midi chain. I was thinking mine might have a bad midi through but now it seems it's might be inherent to the device.

I'm having an issue running 2 H9s, The first runs alright, the second doesn't seem to get its instructions whether I've got it daisy chained or while using the MIDI in on the PBC as a second MIDI feed. Am I missing a setting?

Make sure the MIDI channel is set correctly on the 2nd H9 (on the H9's own settings). Make sure that MIDI Thru is enabled on the first H9. Also, try connecting the second H9 directly to the PBC's output and see if that helps. In the past, I've seen a surprising amount of MIDI Thru problems on Eventide pedals, I don't know how well the newer units are doing.

Make sure the MIDI channel is set correctly on the 2nd H9 (on the H9's own settings). Make sure that MIDI Thru is enabled on the first H9. Also, try connecting the second H9 directly to the PBC's output and see if that helps. In the past, I've seen a surprising amount of MIDI Thru problems on Eventide pedals, I don't know how well the newer units are doing.

Everything was for the most part fine, I didn't realize the default CC commands on the PBC weren't configured in the H9 as it came. ID-10-T issue.

Everything was for the most part fine, I didn't realize the default CC commands on the PBC weren't configured in the H9 as it came. ID-10-T issue.

Yeah, they used to set default CC numbers, that's where I got the numbers from. Don't know why they stopped doing that.

That makes complete sense, My original 2 year old H9 needed little programming, I thought I was losing my mind for a while.

Back