Fractal......

Livio

Hi, i'm thinkin about a fractal axe fx2, but i have a doubt. I use my Pbc to switch all my pedals and the preamp channel and modes goin in stereo in my power amp. Can i put the fractal before goin into the power amp?

Yes, you can run the AxeFX directly into your power amp. A lot of AxeFX users find they prefer to have a fairly neutral-sounding power amp paired with a neutral-sounding speaker cabinet, in order to take full advantage of the AxeFX's amp / cabinet modeling capabilities. You'll see a lot of discussion on the Fractal users forum about the benefits of FRFR (full-range flat-response) systems.
For what it's worth, before I purchase my AxeFX, my guitar rig was a Boogie Lonestar, plus a big board full of boutique pedals. I sold all of that other equipment after I got the AxeFX. It's the best gear purchase of my career, and I've played professionally for 35+ years.

Thanks for your answer. Just another.... if i continue to use my Pbc and all my pedals adding the fractal, the right signal path will be guitar>wah>Pbc (front pedals)>Mesa Boogie V twin preamp> Pbc loop 7/10 In > Pbc A/B out > fractal input L&R > fractal Out L&R >power amp Input L&R
Is this right? I will use the fractal only for its effects and maybe for a pair of modelling.

You can certainly do that. A few things to consider:
  • The AxeFX has its own effects loop, and you can put it anywhere in the signal chain that you want to. It can be different in each patch.
  • The AxeFX has really great effects. My pedalboard was full of boutique pedals... Strymon, Keeley, Empress, Xotic, etc. Once Fractal updated their rotary pedal in FW 18, I sold the last of my pedals. I'm very picky about my tone, and the AxeFX is really this good. Given the arsenal of effects, and flexible signal routing, you may find you don't need all (or perhaps any) of your current pedals. I even use a wah pedal model that is controlled by a Mission EP-1, which looks / feels like a CryBaby wah, but is an assignable controller.
  • The Amp / Cabinet models in the AxeFX are incredible. This is where the unit really shines. Most of my patches have two amp heads, each routed to a dedicated cabinet, each with its own effects, then internally mixed to a stereo output. The Boogie Lonestar model is absolutely perfect - to the point that I sold my actual Boogie Lonestar! Same for the other boutique amp models. Definitely consider using the amp / cabinet / microphone modeling as well.
I've played for a long time, and since I got the AxeFX, I've been told by many FOH sound engineers "that is the best guitar tone I've ever had at the board." I don't work for Fractal, and I don't get anything for recommending their equipment. I'm just a really satisfied customer.

You can certainly do that. A few things to consider:
  • The AxeFX has its own effects loop, and you can put it anywhere in the signal chain that you want to. It can be different in each patch.
  • The AxeFX has really great effects. My pedalboard was full of boutique pedals... Strymon, Keeley, Empress, Xotic, etc. Once Fractal updated their rotary pedal in FW 18, I sold the last of my pedals. I'm very picky about my tone, and the AxeFX is really this good. Given the arsenal of effects, and flexible signal routing, you may find you don't need all (or perhaps any) of your current pedals. I even use a wah pedal model that is controlled by a Mission EP-1, which looks / feels like a CryBaby wah, but is an assignable controller.
  • The Amp / Cabinet models in the AxeFX are incredible. This is where the unit really shines. Most of my patches have two amp heads, each routed to a dedicated cabinet, each with its own effects, then internally mixed to a stereo output. The Boogie Lonestar model is absolutely perfect - to the point that I sold my actual Boogie Lonestar! Same for the other boutique amp models. Definitely consider using the amp / cabinet / microphone modeling as well.
I've played for a long time, and since I got the AxeFX, I've been told by many FOH sound engineers "that is the best guitar tone I've ever had at the board." I don't work for Fractal, and I don't get anything for recommending their equipment. I'm just a really satisfied customer.

Thanks for all this information

I can back Sleestak on his assessment. I still prefer my eventide for delays, but if you get an axe, it wont be a wonder where to put it in the chain, itll be a matter of what to remove because of redundancy. Given time and tweaks, youll be happy with the sounds and happier with how its in ONE damn box. The axe has 4 inputs and routing to death. It aint perfect, but if thinking doesnt scare you, youll def dig it.

Back