1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Global Boost IA Switch Issue

Discussion in 'GT General Discussion' started by Matt Bender, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Matt Bender

Matt Bender
    Expand Collapse

Back in Oct I posted about having issues trying to setup an IA switch as a boost/solo switch. At the time, I was having some 'Ghosts in the Machine' type issues (my external expression pedal #1 wouldn't work, but the others did) so I did a factory reset and reload which fixed the pedal issue and I finally got it to work...sort of.

The way I got it to work was to assign the IA switch and Axe FX Output#4 both to CC#7 and set the off and on values accordingly in the Mastermind GT (interestingly, this wouldn't work when I set them to the value to the sys ex value in the editor (CC#45=Output#4) but it's working with #7 so I care less about that now).

My issue still is that if I engage the Boost IA switch and either select another scene or pick another preset the value doesn't return back to the 'off' value with out me manually cycling the Boost switch on/off again. I'd prefer it to just go back to the default value of the IA switch being off and sending the corresponding off value to the Axe FX. I have the 'Update on Preset Change' box checked in the IA settings and the 'Global' box in General Settings is checked too. Is there something else I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. rjmmusic

rjmmusic
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Send on Preset Change also needs to be turned on.

3. Matt Bender

Matt Bender
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Ron, I'll try that when I get back to the device. I had thought I tried that already but will definitely double check.

Thanks
    Matt

4. Matt Bender

Matt Bender
    Expand Collapse

Ron,
    I went back and made sure both 'Send on Preset Change' and 'Update on Preset Change' are both checked and it still did not work. The button itself on the GT turns off, but it doesn't appear to be sending the 'off' value to the Axe FX. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Matt

5. rjmmusic

rjmmusic
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you have another button somewhere else on the controller that controls the same feature? Conflicting commands are the most common cause of this kind of problem.

6. Matt Bender

Matt Bender
    Expand Collapse

I went through every button on the pedal board and there were no other buttons assigned to the same CC# (#7) as the solo button. The tuner button did have an action mapped to CC#45 (which should be the sysex message for output#4) so I removed that. The only thing that changed was now when I switch scenes or presets the solo button stays showing 'ON' and I have to manually turn it off and the boost goes away (previously it would show 'OFF' but would still be on). I did got back to my Axe FX and reset output #4 to 'NONE' (from #7) and tried CC#45 as the Sysex message for output#4, but that didn't work either.

7. rjmmusic

rjmmusic
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

You can't use any CCs greater than 26 - all the others are used for other purposes. If you'd like to send me your settings, I can have a look at them.

8. Matt Bender

Matt Bender
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, see attached config file. I appreciate your help!
    Thanks,
    Matt

Attached Files:

9. 36-P

36-P
    Expand Collapse

So, I want to help here but I have no idea what you are doing with that button. I opened your file and re-read both of your threads only to realize you are trying to control the output levels with CC's values. As far as having a button not syncing and having to cycle it is an easier fix.

I typed a whole solution and realizes several other posters did a great job explaining external controllers and how to set them up. Ext Ctrl's are more flexible and you should embrace them. I recommend you watch Leon Todd's Axe FX III Solo Boost strategies, pick one, and create a global block for your solution. This will update all your presets, give you the power to reassign the boost IA button to whatever you want to control, use the default CC's RJM setup for you, and many others can help you because that is how we do it. Don't be afraid to scrap your layout and build a new one with right click > assign default CC's. Im sure we all have done it many many times.

Matt 2

10. rjmmusic

rjmmusic
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree, using an external controller is probably the next step.

11. 36-P

36-P
    Expand Collapse

I rewatched both of brother Leon’s vids and think the second video is probably the one you want to watch. So, for fun I crammed as many things in to a little test and it worked flawlessly the first time. I set Ext 3 to Bypass the Chorus block and activate the Amp Input Boost and a null Filter block with a Level boost for the ultimate solo sound! LoL I could have kept going but then you are better off using scenes and channels to get the sound at a certain point. By adjusting the Start and End points in Axe Edit of the modifier you can flip flop blocks states. Almost like a scene within a scene.

Bonus: The changes are instant since you are only sending one midi message and the Axe is processing the request internally instead of sending multiple messages to control individual blocks. And, of course the block status are updated on the GT and you don’t have to cycle the button as you previously noted.

Most presets map expression and volume to Ext 1 or ext 2 so I globally set Ext 1/2 to Pedal 1/2 since my pedals are directly connected to the axe. That’s why I started with Ext 3. So in the Axe setup > MIDI/Remote > External > update Ext 3 to CC 13, in MMGT Edit right click your Boost button and Assign Default CC for Ext 3 and save. Then open your preset in Axe edit and right click the level knob to open the modifier dialog. Set the Source to Ext 3, set the Min & Max to taste. Save the preset.

Why do it this way? Because the External Control feature inside the Axe is extremely powerful. By using the Ext Ctrl CC’s on the GT you keep your program simple and flexible. You can combine effects, offset effects, even control delay and volume with one pedal for swells or whatever. It has limits but that’s where you will learn which tool works best for each situation.

It has taken me a long time to get to this point of understanding my gear. I think the most important lesson for me has been to embrace the easy way because it’s usually the way that works best and I can focus more on jamming and helping others. Hope this works for you.

Matt Too