GT-16 AxeFX III - Tap Temp Noise (Resolved)

Mike

I received the Mastermind GT22 today.

When hooked up the the AxeFx III via the 7 pin Midi Cable, there is a noise being generated that pulses in time with the tap tempo.

I thought this might me a ground loop issue so I installed a HumX in the AxeFX III power plug but it doesn't help.

If the guitar is moved very close tp the GT 16 it gets worse as well as when I touch the switches.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
It sounds like there's something not properly shielded in there. Are you using our MIDI cables? Are you using a phantom power box?

UPDATE:

Ron,

You're correct... :)

I connected the Phantom Box to the AxeFX III with two One Control low profile 12" MIDI Cables I had from an old pedalboard. I removed the One Control MIDO cables and replaced them with two 18" BestTronics heavier/higher end cables that I also had. The tap temp noise immediately was resolved.

Thanks as always.....

Mike

Last edited:
Glad to hear that! It's a pretty common problem. MIDI is actually really noisy. The relatively high voltage of the signal and the (relatively) fast digital switching makes the cables radiate the signal pretty well if they're not shielded correctly. And, MIDI cables are not wired how you expect them to be - the shield wire should be connected to pin 2 instead of the connector shield. Some manufacturers apparently don't know this. In most cases, you don't notice because data is only traveling when you change presets, but once you have a continuous clock signal it becomes very apparent.

Back