GT Phantom Power

Hello, I am running a Mini-amp and mini-effect gizmo, with a Mastermind.

I am currently supplying phantom power to the mastermind from the mini-amp gizmo via a 400 mA 9v DC outlet on the CIOKS DC10.

I note that the current draw for the GT on the specs page is 2A, or 2000 mA.

My question is this - if I am going to phantom power it, what current would I have to provide into the Mini-Amp Gizmo, which will then phantom power the GT?

To be safe, I'd use the AC adaptor that comes with the Mastermind GT. It's 12V, 3 amps, which is way more than enough to get the job done.

From the manual: "This unit requires power supply in the range of 9 to 18 volts, AC or DC". So yep, 12V should be fine.

1. The GT's manual re: phantom powering it says, "Please visit our website for a list of devices known to be compatible." Where is this list?

2. The GT's manual also says, "MIDI Out (XLR) ... This one has a 6-pin male XLR connector designed to connect to RJM Music products such as the Effect Gizmo and Rack Gizmo." I have an Effect Gizmo, purchased a couple of months ago, so I ordered a six-pin XLR cable with my GT and told the person taking the order that it was to connect the Effect Gizmo. It has arrived, and has XLR on both ends. My Effect Gizmo has only MIDI connectors, no XLR. Whassup, and what's the easiest-for-me solution?

3. In the meantime, can I reliably phantom-power the GT with a 7-pin MIDI cable from the Effects Gizmo? How 'bout from an Axe II?

Thanks.

You're right, I do need to get some information up here regarding phantom powering ASAP. I will give you some quick answers here:

- So far, only our own products are tested to safely phantom power the GT. Any product tof ours hat has a 7-pin MIDI or 6-pin XLR will do the job.
- The Axe-Fx II is known to NOT work for phantom power. In fact, you will damage the Axe-Fx - at least, the part that supplies phantom power.
- If you have an Axe-Fx, there are some further issues that need to be addressed. I'm going to put this in a separate post, but in short, the best option is to use a phantom power adapter box that we make.

The 6-pin XLR jack was added to the Effect Gizmo last fall. Earlier Effect Gizmos don't have this jack, but the 7-pin DIN will provide phantom power.

Please look for posts regarding phantom power and Axe-Fx in a short while...

Back