GT16 AxeFx III - Preset Change Question

Mike

After setting up the GT16 and AxeFX, I don't see where the default setup included page up/dn ability to recall presets.

I do see the Bank Up/Dn buttons.
Is this something that was omitted intentionally?

Obviously I can program two buttons to do this, but I was just wondering if there was a reason.
Also, can anyone share their layout and preferred method for changing presets?

Im new to AxeFx and trying to understand what others are doing and what works for them.

Thanks
Mike

Hopefully others will chime in here, but the intent was to use the preset buttons to select presets (the bottom row) and use bank up and down to get to more presets. You can definitely add preset -/+ buttons if you like - on the GT, there are often many ways to accomplish a task.

Thank you Ron.

I have finished installing and everything is working as per the setup you created. The Pg Up and Pg Dn buttons on the right do in fact page between the presets. I had to turn BiDirectional MIDI on as I am using the 7 pin cable and phantom power adapter box.

What I still want to do is create a second button page for each of my major presets (roughly 6-7) and allow for more than the 4 or 5 scenes shown on the first page.

What would be really cool is if the main screen could display all AxeFx III Presets and allow you to scroll through all of them quickly to find the one you might want. Alternatively, perhaps there might be a way to enter a Preset Number and allow that will send a message to change immediately to that preset.

Crazy? Maybe, but that's what I get paid for. :)

Both of those things are available - look at the Preset Menu and Preset Number Menu button types. This assumes that your GT presets correspond to Axe-Fx presets, but that's generally the case.

Ron,

So, for n ow I created a second Button page that to display Scenes 6-8. I also added Tap Tempo and Tuner button in the same space as they are on the first button page.

I then added a "Preset Menu" button to the left of the "Bank Down". This now allows me to display the full AxeFx Preset list and page through them as you noted.

Not sure this will be my final layout, but I am still amazed how great and flexible this controller is.
Thanks again for your help.

Hi Mike,

I had a GT16 before I got my AxeFx 3 which pushed me to trade up to the GT22. However, I will share some tips.

1). I purchased a couple of Ext Switches from Analog Endeavors for Page Up/Dn and the other pair for IA mode & Tap Tempo. They were killer and have a small footprint and it opened up 4 buttons on the board for blocks. RJM sells one here. If you have an expression pedal that uses an Ext Sw I suggest you look at ditching the switch and use Auto Engage in the AxeFx Controllers menu instead.

2). I didn't like the stock layout at first but I scrapped so many layouts that I adapted it for a couple reasons. The Bank Buttons pages through the presets which is really handy and no other combo work together like that. Also, I didn't use IA Mode because I had 22 buttons, and I let my AE's go with the GT16. So, I added Page Up/Dn as IA mode buttons under Bank Up/Dn until I get time to build some side pedals of my own. Hold Functions can be set to be "Only visible in IA Mode" which I use a lot.

3). Hold Functions. My bottom row of buttons have the stock Presets/Scenes and Hold Functions in IA mode only so I can access Scenes and >>Hold Fn to jump to a specific page. I have paired up the following Buttons/Hold Fn: IA Mode/Tuner, Presets/Home (Page1), Bank Up / Preset Menu, Bank Dn / Scene Menu (for 7-8, 6-8 on the GT16 without Scene Names though). I even set the Looper block Hold to take me to a custom page for looper controls. You can even create custom buttons using Hold and Steps to create your own menu. Ron is amazing!

4). Ditch the Global buttons. I only use the Bank and Preset Buttons on Page 1 so that would free up a ton of space on a GT16. On Pages 2 & above I have Page Up/Dn with no IA but you could nest blocks under there if you like. Bonus: my first hack of Global Buttons was to copy the Page Button from Page 1 and paste it to each page. Then I edited each page to point to the page I wanted and not necessarily the next page in the sequence. So the Page button would cycle through the first three pages even though I had the Max Page set to 8. You can then add Page Menu to the Hold Fn to access all the pages.

My layout is still a work in progress but I hope this helps. Any item with ">>" is a Hold function which I borrowed from IARESEE. Thx!

Attachments

• Home.jpg
    Home.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Home_IA.jpg
    Home_IA.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 7
Back