GT16 Misbehaving

I've been editing the GT a lot over the past few weeks and any trouble I've been having until today has been all user error or an issue with the way one device handles MIDI.

Today I installed a Strymon Conduit in my pedal tray to hookup my pedals and that's when the GT got weird. I have since removed the Conduit and put everything back how it was but the problems persist.

Basically, the switches are acting erratically. The displays change as they should, but the actions are intermittent at best, and in a couple of cases the buttons don't cause any action at all, even on the Effect Gizmo which is first in the chain after the GT. I double checked all of the buttons and the actions seem correct.

The first thing I tried was to close the editor and restart it, and also cut off power to the GT then return power. It worked well for a few minutes and then acted up.

I reset the GT to factory and re loaded my file from my laptop. It worked for a while and then acted up.

I then ran it through a self test and got to the point when it asked for a closed loop cable. My assumption is that's a midi cable connected through the in/out, but I'm phantom powering the GT so I stopped the procedure until I have time to power it from the brick and try again.

What else should I be looking at?

Incidentally, the Conduit is CONSTANTLY sending midi messages. I'll save the capture this weekend and will get in touch with Strymon as well about that. It's what caused me to think that the Conduit was causing the problem...but as I wrote, the problem persists even with it removed.

I'm not sure what's going on there, If the displays are changing reliably, that means the button is working, and the GT is working in general. Maybe the GT's MIDI port stopped working (an extremely rare occurrence), or maybe a MIDI cable is going bad. Maybe try another MIDI cable, and try it without phantom power, see if that changes anything.

I'm actually having a similar problem recently, in my case with an Axfx3 connected via 7 pin cable with phantom. I'm going to try both without phantom power and maybe running an earlier saved file that worked correctly.

The buttons will change state on unit itself, but the 3 will not respond to the change, and on occasion seems to be getting some sort of midi response back from the 3 that causes it to switch patches.

I'll post back once I trouble shoot a few things.

I'm actually having a similar problem recently, in my case with an Axfx3 connected via 7 pin cable with phantom. I'm going to try both without phantom power and maybe running an earlier saved file that worked correctly.

The buttons will change state on unit itself, but the 3 will not respond to the change, and on occasion seems to be getting some sort of midi response back from the 3 that causes it to switch patches.

I'll post back once I trouble shoot a few things.
have you been swapping and editing buttons on your GT? I've been doing a lot of that, and have been finding that a button press is initiating actions that are not in the action list. I created a new .rjs file and if I create buttons from scratch, everything works great but I'm basically starting completely over, which is a bummer.

It appears that when buttons are swapped in the editor, or if a button is set to blank (I don't see an option to delete them) it seems to hold onto some actions even though they don't show up in the action list.

have you been swapping and editing buttons on your GT? I've been doing a lot of that, and have been finding that a button press is initiating actions that are not in the action list. I created a new .rjs file and if I create buttons from scratch, everything works great but I'm basically starting completely over, which is a bummer.

It appears that when buttons are swapped in the editor, or if a button is set to blank (I don't see an option to delete them) it seems to hold onto some actions even though they don't show up in the action list.
If anyone ends up with symptoms like this, please send me your settings file so I can investigate!

No massive amounts of button swapping in quite a while. Sorry to hijack your thread, but I've tried testing some things today:

1. Using a separate 12v 3A power supply instead of phantom. The button registers on the Mastermind (whether triggering a preset, scene or, IA) but the Axfx does not respond. After a brief moment, it will receive a polling message and return the Mastermind to the same preset/scene/state as the Axfx. (While setup like this I tried a full system test; only fails were for the expression jacks since it doesn't seem like moving the sweep was triggering a successful response (I'm assuming this is a separate issue).
2. rolled back to a few past saved files, problem persists.
3. factory reset, and then created a new file from scratch with only 1 page for presets, still have the problem
4. new file with only 1 page for presets, and polling state turned off. The difference here was that the the Mastermind does not switch back to the Axfx state and remains on the triggered button.

This behavior occurs usually within 4-5 button presses, and with pauses between each press. I also notice that even with the super-stripped down presets, sometimes a message is received, sometimes not, and sometimes a really long string seems to be received. My next step will be to hook up the GT directly to a midi monitor to see what messages are being sen
t.

Problem solved: not a Mastermind issue, see below.

@rjmmusic : where can I send a file to you? Thanks so much

Last edited:
You can send a file to support@rjmmusic.com. I suspect, however, that it's either a cable that's gone bad or the GT's MIDI output. Given the history I've seen, I'd put my money on a cable.

Did you ever run the system test? That's the first thing we'd do if we got it in here. A MIDI monitor is also a good idea. But the system test will test bidirectional MIDI, where the MIDI monitor will not.

I think I may have found the culprit: I'm using a WIDI Thru6 in between the GT and Fractal (and other devices). I noticed this morning that other midi devices that were downstream of the WIDI unit were getting bursts of erroneous data as well. So I skipped the WIDI to run straight into the Fractal and everything started to work as intended. There are no longer weird bursts of midi data. I'll follow up if something comes up again. Thanks for the help and time regardless

Back