GT22 and the Cold

I've had my GT22 since 2015 and I've loved (nearly) every minute of it. As I've started gigging with it on a regular basis and in particular in the cold, I've run into a significant problem that I'm unsure of how to avoid. First some background. I live in northwestern Minnesota where we laugh at the cold. However, I DO store my GT22 in a heated garage that never gets below 50F. Last year there when it first started getting cold I had an issue where I pulled the GT22 from its case after load in and let it warm up gradually. After a couple of hours I plugged it in and I heard a very rapid clicking noise. I quickly unplugged it as I thought perhaps it was shorting out. It sounded like a relay inside the GT22 was having an issue. I waited for another hour, plugged it in and while it no longer made the relay clicking sound the device was essentially bricked. I could not enter setup, I couldn't load firmware, nothing. I could go into the firmware loader but it just would load. I ended up finding somewhere on the web some download (don't remember what it was but it was old) that essentially allowed me to fix whatever was going on and then load firmware and my settings and get back to working. From that time on I NEVER left the device outside and took to storing it in the house and having it ride in the cab with me when we travel to gigs. When it's warm outside it has zero problems and boots and loads fine.

I went out to my rehearsal space today, the temperature was about 55F in the space so condensation, etc wouldn't be a problem, plugged it in and the relay click fest happened. So I have two questions: Is there something wrong with my GT? A component that needs to be replaced because I would think that 55F is completely within the operating range (the GT22 has stored in this heated space in its case so it wasn't colder than the space and every other electronic device had zero problems and there was no condensation anywhere)? The second question I have is...how to I recover from this? I don't recall the program from RJM that I used. I've attached a shot of the device in its current state. Any advice? TIA.

Rich

IMG_0089.jpg

That is strange - the stated operating temperature range on this stuff goes down to -40C, so it shouldn't have any trouble at all with 50F. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, so it may well be a hardware issue with your specific GT. We could sell you a new CPU board - that would replace almost everything that would be a likely suspect. If you wanted to do that, contact us at support@rjmmusic.com and we'll work out the details.

In the meantime, here are the instructions to wipe the GT's memory:

Received the board and she booted up just fine after replacement. I'll store out in my rehearsal space and see what happens. Would you like the board that failed returned so you can investigate?

Received the board and she booted up just fine after replacement. I'll store out in my rehearsal space and see what happens. Would you like the board that failed returned so you can investigate?
Sure, that would be helpful!

Back