Help a newbie with PBC6x and Strymon Iridium/Compadre

TroyH

Hey everyone - I'm relatively new to this world and while I picked up my PBC 6x nearly six months ago, I am just now getting my setup finalized.

I am running a Strymon Compadre before the PBC6x a Strymon Iridium in the insert loop. I plan to control both with MIDI. I run out of the PBC6x to an Empress MIDI Box 2 and then TRS cables to each Strymon.

The Iridium (MIDI channel 2) seems to work correctly. I set up a sound I like on the pedal, hold down the favorite button until it flashes, press the proper button on the PBC6x, the button stops flashing and I can recall the preset as desired. Often this means selecting a preset, tweaking a bit, and then saving in that same preset spot as I refine the sound.

The Compadre (MIDI channel 3) behaves... oddly. I would assume it would operate the exact same way. However, when I hold down the button on the Compadre until it flashes it only responds if I press a DIFFERENT preset button than what I currently have selected. So if I'm on preset x, tweak something on the pedal, hold the Compadre button until it flashes it will continue to flash until I press a button OTHER than the currently selected preset on the mastermind.

I feel like there is some logical explanation and it has to do with my understanding of MIDI / the setup of the controller, but I can't figure it out and would appreciate the insight if anyone can assist.

In the PBC editor, set Preset 2nd Press to Reload. If you don't do this, pressing a preset button that's already lit will do nothing, so the attached pedals will not receive any MIDI messages. Why it works at all on the other pedal, I don't know, but setting this should improve the situation.

I should have mentioned that I do have that set already. I did discover I liked having that set since I'm doing a lot of tweaking/retweaking right now and want to be able to save over something easily.

Any other ideas? I've attached my config here in case that helps.

Attachments

• 20200719-001.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Interesting observation - so on my second loops page (since I'm splitting the stereo loops) I have a couple buttons assigned to being able to toggle the compressor and boost on/off respectively. Those work fine, so clearly MIDI is working to some degree. It's just the weirdness with saving presets.

Yea, that video is what got me started. I'm confused as it works perfectly with the Iridium and unless I'm missing something in the Compadre manual it should be the same. That video is great though, thanks for it - it was what got me started.

If I understand correctly when I set the Strymon's to save preset (blinking light on the left button) and then press a preset button on the Mastermind it sends a PC message out that hits the MIDI box, which duplicates the message to all of its outputs. So both the Compadre and Iridium should get the same PC message at that moment and either change to that preset or save the settings there.

I'll keep working on it. Hopefully I've just been overlooking something.

You might want to ask Strymon if the Compadre's MIDI implementation is any different than the Iridium - I've never played with one, so I can't say if they changed something on us.

You might want to ask Strymon if the Compadre's MIDI implementation is any different than the Iridium - I've never played with one, so I can't say if they changed something on us.

Okay, will do. I'll post back here what I hear in the event it helps someone else.

FWIW it's worth, I got this working. The only thing I know I changed (through a process of factory resets, reconfiguring in the Mastermind software, etc.) is that the Iridium is now on MIDI channel 1 instead of 3. I wish I had a more scientific explanation in case someone else runs into the same issue but I don't. It's working though and sounds great. Now on to the Source Audio Collider to get it working.

Back