How do I set up a Wah?

Andy Power

Could someone help me please
I have an Axe III with the GT16 and an expression pedal which I need to use as a Wah - what on earth do I do?

You don’t use a CC number if you set up the Axe as a device in the GT. Set up the expression pedals in the GT and assign one of them as the source for the modifier on the wah control.

I went into global, double clicked on 1:ExpPdl1
In the ‘continuous controller’ section I selected Axe III in Device then in the CC number section - 94:Wah 1

That is all in that box then write changes to device.

On the AXE III the External control 1 to 4 is 11, 12,13,14
In the bypass and channel tabs the Wah is set to none.

In the Wah block I went to ‘Wah control then selected modifier and selected External 1 but still nothing.

Do you have the MMGT manual 4.1? It has a section starting on page 17 that describes how to set up the GT with an Axe Fx III.

Setup on the Mastermind GT requires only a few steps:
1. In Mastermind GT setup, select Edit Devices.
2. Select a device slot. If you’re starting with a Mastermind GT that’s in the factory state, select the “Effect
Gizmo” slot and you can overwrite it. If you also have an Effect Gizmo, you can leave the “Effect Gizmo” entry and instead select one of the empty slots.
3. Press the Type button, then select Fractal Audio. Next, select Axe-Fx III.
4. Press the Set Default Buttons button and press 1. This sets up button page 1 with a default set of
buttons that control the Axe-Fx III.
5. Press the Set Default Pedals button. This sets up the GT’s expression pedals to control the Axe-Fx.
There’s a little more expression pedal setup required on the Axe-Fx, which is described in the next
subsection.
6. Optional: Use the Get Preset Names feature to read the preset names from the Axe-Fx. This process
is described in the Reading Preset Names with Scenes section.
7. Exit setup mode.

Expression Pedal Setup

Following the previous steps sets up the GT’s expression pedals to send the correct CC numbers. Some more setup on the Axe-Fx is required.
In the Axe-Fx’s setup menu, go to MIDI/Remote and select the External page. Set External Control 1 to CC11, External Control 2 to CC12, External Control 3 to CC13 and External Control 4 to CC14.

To assign an expression pedal to an effect parameter, edit the effect in the Axe-Fx. Select the parameter you want the expression pedal to control and press the Modifier knob on the Axe-Fx. Set Source to “External Control 1” to assign it to the first expression pedal, “External Control 2” to assign it to the second expression pedal, etc. For a more detailed description, please refer to the “MODIFIER TUTORIAL: WAH PEDAL” section in the Axe-Fx III manual

Managed to figure it out - I was selecting the Axe III Wah 1 setting on the GT editor - obviously one would think it was for a Wah but it’s not the case - I saw the Exptession 11 setting and selected that and it worked - what is the Axe III ‘94 wah’ setting for if it’s not for a Wah pedal??

Thanks for all the help guys - I owe you all big favours ... it’s my first gig with the GT16 tonight so fingers crossed all will go

Managed to figure it out - I was selecting the Axe III Wah 1 setting on the GT editor - obviously one would think it was for a Wah but it’s not the case - I saw the Exptession 11 setting and selected that and it worked - what is the Axe III ‘94 wah’ setting for if it’s not for a Wah pedal??

Wah 1 is for turning the wah on and off, just like the other blocks (Drive 1, Delay 1, etc). External Controllers are used for adjusting the value of parameters.

Wah 1 is for turning the wah on and off, just like the other blocks (Drive 1, Delay 1, etc). External Controllers are used for adjusting the value of parameters.

Thanks for the reply, I didn’t realise it was for on/off i know now though :).

I set up a looper section on Page two when I press record everything works as it should unles I add a drive or go from drive to clean then the Record button switches out? I don’t have it in a group?

Back