I really need your help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pfapin05

Rather complicated setup... so Im trying to take it small steps at a time!!!
Well its at least complicated to me, but I have been progressing in wrapping my head around building the schematic for at least the order of pedals and where they are routed in my Amp Gizmo.

I am going to give you a list of all of my gear first. So here you go...

Amp/Effects Switching Device/Midi Controller

-RJM Rack Gizmo

-RJM Effects Gizmo

-RJM Mini Line Mixer

-RJM Mastermind

Amps-PowerAmp-Preamp

-VH4 (Midi)
-Mesa Triple Rec 2 channel
-Randall RT 2/50 stereo power amp (Midi)
-Egnater M4 preamp (Midi)

Cabs

-Diezel 4x12 (Dry cab)
-x2 Port City OS 1x12 (Wet cabs)

Power Supplies

-Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+
-Voodoo Labs Pedal Power Digital

Pedals/Effects

Overdrives/Distortions
-Maxon 808
-Tim
-Zvex Fuzz Factory

Effects and other pedals
-Suhr ISO Box
-Keeley compressor
-Turbo tuner
-Boss noise gate
-ISP Decimator
-Source Audio Programmable EQ (midi)
-Strymon Timeline (Midi) (Stereo)
-Glass Nexus (Midi) (Stereo)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I basically know that I want to try the pedal configuration starting off this Keeley->ISP->Maxon808->BossNS-2.

This will be a hard gating system for when I need it to be silent with palm muting and staccato ect. but will allow for sustains without cutting notes off prematurly and will keep my picking dynamics in tact... so this must not change as this is how I need it to stay for now.

So here I go with my first basic question...

#1.
Lets say now I dont need the pedals to do that, and I would just like to use the TIM pedal with the Keeley compressor... should I put that TIM in the next spot after the boss NS-2 in the amp gizmo?

#2.
Where does the Zvex Fuzz Face go? I hear that it does not cooperate with the buffer in the amp gizmo, and someone else commented about it but I cant find the thread... should it go before everything, or does it not matter since it can be programmed to be the only pedal on no matter where it is positioned in the amp gizmo?

#3.
I want to use the midi eq pedal for cutting frequencies or boosting frequencies on the Triple rectifier/VH4 tones. Do I place the pedal in the effects loop to properly achieve that? I think I have always read that EQ comes after the preamp, correct?

I have so many more questions with this rig, and hopefully you guys can help me get around to them all. I want to start simple however before I even get around to cutting out some cables to test out this configuration, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! It only gets more complicated after this.

Hi there,

#1: If you're using the Tim after the Keeley compressor and no pedals in between, any loop after the Keeley will be fine.

#2: The Fuzz Face doesn't like buffers, and the Keeley compressor probably won't either. You can fix this by putting the buffer in the first loop - that allows you to switch the buffer on and off as needed. You can also put the buffer after your effects. Many times it can work just as well in that position.

#3: I'd put the EQ in the amp's loop. It will have a lot more effect there.

I appreciate whatever time you do have Ron but understand how busy you are so I feel grateful you were the first one to get around to my simple questions, so thank you!!!

So with saying that, in reference to your response above...

#1: Sounds good Ron, easy as pie!

#2: I was under the impression that there is a buffer on the Rack gizmo. I dont have a buffer, and Im not sure I need one yet anyways unless all the cable runs from this rig are going to degrade the signal that bad (mogami 2524 cable). I just dont know though, its my first build after all and I cant predict whats going to happen there... do you think I for sure will need a buffer because of all the cabling? Or, if you meant that the rack gizmo and my fuzz factory will not get along good then is there a way to make it so that the fuzz factory can work in this situation without having to run it manually?

#3: EQ in the loop was what I was thinking as well, so thanks for verifying that!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So Ron (or anyone), besides the questions in I have to your response of question #2 pertaining to the fuzz face and buffer confusion, I would like to add another question for anyone to answer please.

If Im running my effects gizmo through the midi on the Rack gizmo to add more pedals to the process, can I only assume that the effects gizmo becomes a continuation of the pedal order process as such...

rack gizmo pedals 1 thru 6 -> effects gizmo 7 thru 11

and is it set in stone that pedals HAVE to go in that order? Or... can I place any pedal in any configuration (Besides the Rack gizmo's stereo loops for the time based effects) with those two units linked together besides the fact time based effects are in the loop and others arent, ect? I just want to know that when linking the Rack Gizmo and mini effects gizmo, that no certain routing is truly set in stone... or is it???

Once some of that stuff makes more since to me I can adapt to how I configure my schematic. Next I will be trying to find out how to synch all the RJM stuff together with the mastermind, and try to learn how to incorporate the Suhr ISO into the configuration, which to my understanding will help me keep the VH4 preamp tone coming through the wet cabs... thats gonna be fun for someone to explain to me!!! Im really lost on how that one works!!!

I seriously thank whoever has the patience to drop by and offer their suggestions and give their time! Im starting to really love this stuff and grasp it a little more each day, when I used to sit here and scratch my head pretty hard and just have multiple brain farts all day long!!! It almost made me want to sell all this gear off, but now Im so glad I decided against that!

Thanks, guys!!!

Re #2, there is a buffer in the Rack Gizmo... but you can patch it in a number of ways. It's easy enough to patch it into a loop - just connect the loop send to the buffer input, and the buffer output to the loop return.

Any big rig like this, you are going to need a buffer, but the ones in the Rack Gizmo and Effect Gizmo are about as good as any you're going to be able to buy from a 3rd party, so don't worry about that.

Using two noise gates in such close proximity seems a tad overkill to me, but then I'm not a fan of either the Boss or the ISP. I had two gates in my old rig, but that had 18 pedals including 5 overdrive / distortions, and one of the gates was in the amp loop. But hey, if it works for you...

Have fun with it :)

Sweet, I really appreciate that info Martin and to answer why I am doing 2 gates in a close proximity like that... I need to hit the compressor pretty hard to increase the signal first, then clean up that noise a little bit with the ISP, then use the Maxon 808 next for tightening up my rhythm channel on the Mesa and similar high gainers, and then send it to the hard gating of the Boss NS2. It will look like this...

Keeley->ISP->Maxon808->BossNS2

This is for when I myself or someone else in the studio wants to have a bunch of sustain without premature decay for cleans or distortion (thanks in part to the keeley), but then again have the ability of the super fast muting due to the NS2 providing the hard gating.

Hope that makes since.

Back