Is an Amp Gizmo necessary for this new rig?

VaiGuy93

Hey all,

Thank you for reading my post. I am currently in the process of upgrading my amp and want to have a floor effects switching system, which can control both the channels of the amp and the effects coming from the unit with just one click, the Boss GT-10, using the 4 cable method. I found this video from RJM on Youtube and started researching the amp gizmo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuUay-htCak

This demonstrates exactly what I want; GT-10 effects which I've used for three years and love, plus also when I change the patch, I can set it up to not only change the effects but also the amp;s channel. But, the amp I'm planning on using already has MIDI built into it (Carvin Legacy 3, here's the product online: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/VL300).

My question: 1. I don't need an amp gizmo to get my switching solution, because of the built in MIDI in the amp, right?

Thanks again, cheers! -Dante

:ugeek:

the quick answer is that you shouldnt need an amp gizmo to switch the amp if it has built in midi switching. However I have seen a lot of the so called midi switching in amps be soo poorly implememnted that quite often it renders them useless.
by the same token
Some are very good and will patch map and so on

I need to look at the carvin manual an see but it should work

This is the message I received from BOSS US when I asked them the same question. Thoughts? Thanks, and cheers! - Dante :twisted:

Hi Dante,
When switching patches on the GT-10, it transmits MIDI PC (program change) messages. You'd need to see if the Carvin needs "specific" PC messages to switch the channels. If so, then you'd need to match them with each patch from the GT. The GT-10's PC transmit map is "fixed" (you can't program specific PC messages to be sent when changing patches).
If the Carvin has a fixed map as well for receiving these messages, then it may be tough to get them to match up properly.
You'll probably first want to check with Carvin to see what messages are needed to switch its channels on this particular model amp.
You'll also need to make sure the MIDI channel is matched - (the GT's default channel is on channel 1).

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,
Roland Product Support

4x4uk said:
the quick answer is that you shouldnt need an amp gizmo to switch the amp if it has built in midi switching. However I have seen a lot of the so called midi switching in amps be soo poorly implememnted that quite often it renders them useless.
by the same token
Some are very good and will patch map and so on

I need to look at the carvin manual an see but it should work

Thanks for the response. Check out the post I just put up with BOSS's response and let me know what you think.

Peace! - Dante

I'm pretty sure you'll be okay - I think the Carvin is like most amps in that it can be programmed to call up whichever channel you like for each program change. I'd check with Carvin support to be certain, though.

Back