Issue with PBC Stereo setup

TONVS

Hi Ron:
Yesterday i just setup my PBC gear for running in stereo trough my main amp (Mesa Boogie Mark V:25) and trough the power section of my old amp (To get the stereo from the pedals into 7-10 loops). Loops 7-10 running trough the boogie's efects loop. Just like Pete Thorn :p
Loops 1-6: Pedals in front of main amp (BIT COMMANDER, comp, over drive, BSIB, tremolo, isp noisereduction)
Loops 7-8: Pedals in MB effects loop ( eq ge-7 boss, chorus ce-2 ) both are mono.
Loops 9-10: Pedals in MB effects loop (tc electronics hall of fame, strymon timeline) both are stereo.

THE PROBLEM
When i activate the channel 2 (dist) of Mark V:25, there was no problem, everything its OK.
But when i activate the channel 1 (clean), the chorus or eq (loops 7-8) mute the entire signal..... i tried with loops in parallel or series, but the problem persist.
Can you help me? some suggestion or whatever...
Many many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-20150930-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20150930-WA0013.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
That's some very unusual symptoms... does the signal drop out when you manually switch the amp's channel with the switch on the front of the amp?

Reactions: Joe
Yes, i've tried changing manually the channel switch; all loops sounds great by the channel 2, but by the channel 1 clean, the eq and the chorus (loops 7-8) mutes the chain signal..... weird.... i'll do a clip to show you the issue tonight. Never happens before, with 1 amp (2 channels) and mono effects loop. The only difference now is the stereo settings, and, of course, my new amp (Mesa). In mono config. all works great.

The only thing different between the PBC manual scheme and my gear, is that the pedals on loops 7-8 are mono. But is weird because works great in channel 2.... :(

Last Weekend i tried again, and nothing happens yet, In both channels the eq and the chorus mute the chain. When i run my rig in "Mono" trough just one of the amps...everything runs ok.
If you want i can send you my RJM file whit the config.

Attached you can find my rig setup schemes. Everything is like the manual. except the mono pedals in stereo setup...

Attachments

• mono setup.JPG
    mono setup.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 24
  • stereo setup.JPG
    stereo setup.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 34
I responded by email, but here's the answer for everyone else:

The mono pedals need to have mono to stereo converter cables going from the pedal output to the PBC's loop return. These would have a TS plug on the pedal end, and a TRS plug on the PBC end. The TRS plug needs to have the tip and ring connected together. This takes the mono signal from the pedal and puts it on both the left and right sides. Using a standard TS plug results in the signal getting shorted to ground, which is why you lose your signal.

I responded by email, but here's the answer for everyone else:

The mono pedals need to have mono to stereo converter cables going from the pedal output to the PBC's loop return. These would have a TS plug on the pedal end, and a TRS plug on the PBC end. The TRS plug needs to have the tip and ring connected together. This takes the mono signal from the pedal and puts it on both the left and right sides. Using a standard TS plug results in the signal getting shorted to ground, which is why you lose your signal.
Found this product which looks useful for this:

http://hosatech.com/product/gpp-419/

Hi Ron,
Having a similar problem... finally got around to wiring up in Stereo tonight for loops 7-9 (not using 10). I have a standard mono cable going from each of the sends to the pedal inputs, and an insert cable (2 TS on one end, TRS on the other) from the left/right outs of the pedals to each of the loop returns. The result is dry and wet signal in one amp, and only wet in the other. I have the stereo mixdown option on my PBC. With the mixdown button "in" I get both dry/wet in both amps but it's in mono again. Do I need to wire something differently?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Ron,
Having a similar problem... finally got around to wiring up in Stereo tonight for loops 7-9 (not using 10). I have a standard mono cable going from each of the sends to the pedal inputs, and an insert cable (2 TS on one end, TRS on the other) from the left/right outs of the pedals to each of the loop returns. The result is dry and wet signal in one amp, and only wet in the other. I have the stereo mixdown option on my PBC. With the mixdown button "in" I get both dry/wet in both amps but it's in mono again. Do I need to wire something differently?

Thanks,
Bill
H

Hi Ron,

A similar issue. Loops 7-10 have:
Möbius Stereo I/O
Panther Cub Mono Out to Hosa TS-> TRS adapter
Timeline Stereo I/O
Big Sky Stereo I/O

When I activate the Cub loop, the stereo signal is lost. I am using the Cub as mono pedal, but want to send to both outputs. I'm using in series, but other loops in parallel.

Am I doing something wrong?

Hi Ron,

A similar issue. Loops 7-10 have:
Möbius Stereo I/O
Panther Cub Mono Out to Hosa TS-> TRS adapter
Timeline Stereo I/O
Big Sky Stereo I/O

When I activate the Cub loop, the stereo signal is lost. I am using the Cub as mono pedal, but want to send to both outputs. I'm using in series, but other loops in parallel.

Am I doing something wrong?

It sounds like your adapter cable is not working correctly. If you have a meter, I'd check that the tip of the TS side is actually connected to both the tip and ring of the TRS side.

I am having this exact issue. I ALSO have the mono mixdown mod. Both insert cables may be incorrect? Thought I soldered them as always. One amp has only the wet effects and the other amp has wet and dry. So the TIP on both TS jacks needs to be connected to the TIP and RING of the TRS jack?

An insert cable should be wired as tip & sleeve of TRS plug to tip & sleeve of left plug, and ring & sleeve of TRS plug to tip & sleeves of right plug.

I mentioned this in a recent email, but check the wiring of the input side of the pedal. You should either run a mono cable to the left input of the pedal and leave the right input unconnected, or you could use an insert cable to run the signal to both the left and right inputs of the pedal.

Back