Keep IA State between presets?

Hi all,

I have two amps and I want to be able to use them on the fly in either of Amp A, Amp B or Amp A+B (these would be on a page called Amp Config Page). I initially thought of having two IA buttons, one for Amp A, one for Amp B and if I decide to use both I press both. What I do not know is how to make it so these IA buttons remain unaffected by presets changes, i.e. if I decide I would play Amp A only, once its IA is active it should not be affected by preset changes throughout the show.

Another scenario I am trying to mimic is the following. I have a PCM 81. I programmed one IA to activate or deactivate the corresponding PCM81 loop in my mixer (I will call this the PCM IA). I intend to have another page with IA Buttons corresponding to programs within the PCM81 (I will call this the PCM 81 Presets Page). So, on this page I want to select what program should be loaded in the PCM81, and with the PCM IA I just add or remove the PCM from the signal chain. Here I would also wish any PCM 81 Preset that I selected on the PCM Presets Page is not affected by preset changes throughout the show.

Basically, I see these as config pages, where i should be able to set a default, but if decide to change that default during the show, such change should not be affected by the loading or changing of presets.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
JO

The setting Update on Preset Change is what you're looking for. Turn it off on any buttons that you want to be unaffected by preset changes.

Thanks for the prompt response. Will try this and revert. Send on Preset Change should be on or off in this case? I am trying to figure out how to set up the default behviour. Eg by default a preset should have a specifc IA Button on (let's call this the default IA Button), but once that is changed - because I turned on another IA Button within the same group with the default IA Button - , when loading a new preset the default IA Button should not turn on again. Hope this make sense. :)

Added an example of what I am trying to do:

GT Preset #1 has:
IA Button #1 - Loads Program #1 on PCM81 - this is on by default
IA Button #2 - Loads Program #2 on PCM81
IA Button #3 - Loads Program #3 on the PCM81

IA Button 4# - Turns on/off the corresponding loop for the PCM81 in the mixer
Buttons #1 - #3 are part of a group.

Because the PCM81 loads programs in 1-2 seconds, I need to preload the program well in advance of turning on IA Button #4 - corresponding to the loop of the PCM81. Basically, with the help of IA Buttons #1 - #3 I select the program on the PCM81, and then with IA Button #4 I just add it to the signal chain, or remove it. By so doing, IA Button #4 may turn on a chorus, or a delay, or a reverb, depending on which IA Button #1-#3 is selected.

What I want to do is when I load GT Preset #1, IA Button #1 sends its actions - so that a default program is always loaded on the PCM81. However, if I turn on IA Button #2, whatever preset I load on the GT, including GT Preset #1, IA Button #2 should remain on.

Last edited:
If the IA buttons are the only thing that sends messages to the PCM81, then you probably don't need or want Send on Preset Change to be turned on.

Hi there, finally had the time to program the above and I am half where I wish to be, i.e. presets do not change the state of IA Buttons. Thanks so much for your help!

Now the other issue I am trying to solve is how can I set, among these buttons, the one which should be on by default when the GT boots up.
Example:
IA Button #1 - Loads Program #1 on PCM81 - is sent an on message when the GT boots up.
IA Button #2 - Loads Program #2 on PCM81
IA Button #3 - Loads Program #3 on the PCM81

These are grouped in a group which has Allow all buttons off disabled - basically one should always be on. The problem is, because all these buttons do not have enabled Send on Preset Change or Update on Preset Change, I cannot change the state of the buttons through presets and I did not find a way to turn one of these buttons on by default when the GT starts.

I was thinking of creating a Macro named Load Defaults, but do not know what action to run (Set IA perhaps with Force State On, or a Sysex message?) Thanks so much for the guidance. I am absolutely amazed by the mirriad of options the GT provides.

Last edited:
You're correct that a Macro with a SetIA action was going to be my answer. Set IA does cause all actions on a button to be run, as if the button had been pressed.

Back