Macro(?) to send a CC when changing preset - depending on the current preset

I'm wondering if it's possible to do something with my PBC/6X. I use my PBC to MIDI control my HX Stomp, and on the Stomp I have a parametric EQ block that I want to engage / disengage depending on the guitar I'm using. What that means is I want it to stay engaged if I'm using a particular guitar when I change presets (on both the Stomp and PBC). I have that block controlled though by a CC on the PBC so I can send a MIDI command to engage / disengage.

Now there's no way to do this on the Stomp; basically the preset is the preset, and it can be saved either with the block on or off, and when I change presets on the Stomp, that default state will be loaded.

So I'm wondering if there is a way that when I change presets on the PBC it basically runs a macro to check whether the CC state on the prior preset was engaged / disengaged - then if it was engaged, resend the CC to reengage to block on the new preset. Is this possible?

You can't use macros for that, but you you could probably use an IA button. Create an IA button that controls the EQ block. Turn on Send On Preset Change and turn off Update On Preset Change on this button. This will make the button stay in its current state through preset changes, but it will resend its messages every time you change presets, based on the state it's currently in.

Hmmm - I thought that might work, but it doesn't quite.

So if I set up one of the buttons to generate CC#15, with the above settings, it retains the block bypass state when I change presets on the PBC... provided I stay on the same preset on the Stomp.

As soon as I change to a preset that sends a PC (and thus changes presets on the Stomp) that block is disengaged on the STomp regardless of the state of that IA button on the PBC. In those scenarios, I need it to regenerate the CC message again so the Stomp preset is in line with the state of the IA button. It may not be possible!

Would it be possible to have a macro on each preset that checks the state of that IA button, and then if it's on, generates the CC message?

Hmmm - I thought that might work, but it doesn't quite.

So if I set up one of the buttons to generate CC#15, with the above settings, it retains the block bypass state when I change presets on the PBC... provided I stay on the same preset on the Stomp.

As soon as I change to a preset that sends a PC (and thus changes presets on the Stomp) that block is disengaged on the STomp regardless of the state of that IA button on the PBC. In those scenarios, I need it to regenerate the CC message again so the Stomp preset is in line with the state of the IA button. It may not be possible!
Are you sure that Send on Preset Change is turned on? Turning that on makes it send the message every time you change presets.

Are you sure that Send on Preset Change is turned on? Turning that on makes it send the message every time you change presets.

Yep - I tried adding a Wait as well, in case it was getting to the Stomp before the PC got there. It didn't work with or without the wait. Note I'm in song and setlist mode. My settings for the button:

Capture.png

If you're using a Wait action, make sure that Direct Send is turned off for the HX Stomp, in the Devices tab. That may help.

If you're using a Wait action, make sure that Direct Send is turned off for the HX Stomp, in the Devices tab. That may help.

Hey, I appreciate the responses. I think I (partly) found the problem.

If, on the Devices tab, I turn the "Send CCs on preset change" setting on for the HX Stomp, it works for that EQ block - the bypass status is retained. Which is amazing! The problem now though is all the other blocks I'm controlling on the Stomp per preset by CCs are now triggered to off (in fact, you actually see when I change preset on the PBC the blocks on the Stomp that should be being switched on highlight briefly then switch straight off).

Here's an example:
Capture.png

I have those 3 CC's on every preset - they each represent a block on the Stomp. In this case, block 1 & 3 are being switched on for that preset and block 2 is being switched off.

Now when I load that preset, I see blocks 1 & 3 very briefly switch on then off again with the Send CCs setting ticked. Any ideas?

EDIT: I think I know why this is. I have a hold function on 3 buttons to send those CCs, so on any preset I can hold down a button to bring one of those blocks in on the fly. Is there any way I can prevent those sending on preset change, but not the specific button mentioned above?

EDIT EDIT: I think I've done it! I've turned off "Send on preset change" on those hold functions, and now it works! Thank you so much!!!

Last edited:
Looks like you've got it! Good job finding the setting in the Devices tab - I had forgotten about that one.

Back