Making the leap to the Axe III

CaptNasty

Hello,

I am a new forum member. Sorry for the long post. I currently do not own an Axe or RJM Mastermind GT, but that will be changing very soon. I have decided to move over to the Axe III. I will be running it in 4CM so that I can use my JVM 410 HJS or the Axe unit as a pre-amp.

While researching the Axe FX, I noted that RJM products keep being mentioned so I decided to take a look at what RJM has to offer. I have spent the weekend reading the Mastermind manual and all I can say is WOW! I currently use a Roland FC-300 as my MIDI controller and the Mastermind GT is everything that I have wished the FC-300 were: status syncs of IA switches with the MEU, ultimate flexibility, LCD button captions, macros, IA Button activation and I could go on. I am aware that bi-directional integration with the Axe III is currently not available, but has been committed to by RJM.

I am almost 100% sure, based on what I have read; that I will be looking to add a Mastermind GT/22 to my rig. Since this thread is being created pre-purchase (I am aware that the GT is on a waiting list at the moment :() I would like to run down my rig to ensure that I understand the features of the Mastermind and that it will support my rig setup.

My setup:
  • Marshall JVM 410 HJS (MIDI capable, supports PC and CC) - MIDI Channel 1
  • TC Electronic G-Major (Will be replacing this with an Axe FX III) - MIDI Channel 2
I currently control this gear with a Roland FC-300 by sending multiple PC and CC messages on different MIDI Channels in a single button push. I DO NOT have a one to one mapping of presets between the JVM and the G-Major. It is more the rule than the exception for me to be using as an example, effect preset 12 with amp preset 1. This will continue to be true once I move to the Axe III.

The JVM 410 HJS is a MIDI enabled, multi-channel, multi-mode amplifier. While it supports up to 128 presets that can be selected with MIDI PCs, you can also use CCs to select channels (e.g. Clean, Crunch, Overdrive1 or Overdrive2), Select gain modes (e.g. green, orange or red), set channel and master volume levels, engage/disengage/control the effect loop and engage/disengage the Built-in noise Gates.

After reading the GT manual, I am almost positive that it will support my use case but want to ensure that I am not missing something. To configure this setup in the GT, I *believe* I could do the following:
  1. Create a device for the effect unit (G-Major or Axe FX) and assign it to MIDI Channel 2 with Send PC “On”. This will cause a PC to be sent by default to the effect unit device when a preset is activated
  2. Create a second device for the JVM and assign it to MIDI Channel 1 with Send PC “Off”. The will prevent the default PC from being sent to the JVM device (MIDI Channel 1) when a preset is activated
  3. Edit Presets on the GT to add actions that will send PC and/or CC messages that target the JVM device
Am I correct in how I am seeing this? If I am I will be very motivated and happy to add a GT to my rig.

Last edited:
Back