Mastermind and Voodoo Labs GCX

redjpm

Folks,

I am new to the forum and I apologize if this has been covered. I could not find a post on it so I thought I would ask here.

I would like to know if I can use the Mastermind to run a Voodoo Labs GCX switcher. I am reading that he power over the Midi may have a conflict.

Could I use either:

1. A standard 5-pin to 5-pin Midi cable between them and just power the Mastermind with a 9V adapter.

or

2. Use the Rocktron 5-pin to 7-pin and use an external adapter for the extra power cable on that Midi cable.

Thoughts.

Thanks,

You can use the Mastermind with a GCX - you'll need to program the CC numbers 1-8 on the Mastermind to be CC80 through 87 respectively, and they all need to be set to MIDI channel 16. You can use the IA mode to control five of the loops.

You really need a 5 to 7 pin cable to get the two working together correctly. The Rocktron one will work fine, but requires you to plug an AC adapter into the cable (it has a separate DC adaptor input built into the cable). We can make you a custom 5 to 7 pin cable that doesn't require an additional AC adapter, which in my opinion is the best solution.

Thanks for the response and info Ron.

How would I go about ordering the special midi cable you suggest?

Thanks,

Give us a call or email and we'll figure out the details. All we'll need to know is the length you want.

Ron,

I have connected the GCX to the Mastermind using the modified Mid cable. It powers up the Mastermind and allows me to set up the Midi Channel and CC values. I also set up banks 0 and 1 to have 10 total presets. Sadly I am not noticing any of the relays or LEDs on the GCX switching on/off when I change presets.

Any ideas of what I may have missed in my set up. I know this may not be enough info via this forum but I thought I would give it a try.

One more thing...the active LED on the GCX is not on. It flashes briefly upon power up but then it goes out.

Thanks,

Are you sending MIDI CC# data on channel 16 to the GCX? If I recall correctly, CC#80 is loop 1, CC#81 is loop 2 etc. The GCX doesn't respond to program change data, so you need to store the state of the CC#s on the Mastermind itself.

Yes I set CC1 to CC80, CC2 to CC81 and so on and each one of those is set to Midi Ch 16. I did also set PC1 to Ch16. Should I undo that?? Each preset that I set up then has CC80 (and the other CCs) to either 000 (off) or 127 (on) depending on what I wanted to set up for controls. No luck though.

Also try CC88, CC56 and CC64 - some GCXs are set to respond to different controller ranges. Maybe yours is?

Back