Mastermind Firmware 3.1.10 / Editor 3.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the 3.1 release of the Mastermind editor. Please note that I said Mastermind Editor and not Mastermind PBC Editor. One of the big features of this release is support for the upcoming Mastermind LT, which is a low cost MIDI controller based on the PBC design. Both products share the same editor and firmware files, so some naming has changed.

NEW FEATURES:
  • As I mentioned, support for the Mastermind LT (product announcement to follow)
  • A new action type: System / Setlist that allows you to switch setlists and/or between preset and setlist modes.
  • Device settings have changed - for devices that support MIDI banks, you now specify a maximum PC number per bank and the total number of presets a device has. This allows the PBC to properly handle devices like the Strymon pedals that have banks with unequal sizes.
  • There's also a "Flat Numbering" setting that switches a device between using PC & bank numbers or using a single preset number. This was already a hidden feature that was used by the Axe-Fx driver - you could specify preset numbers up to 768 without having to do the math to split it into PC and bank. Now, this can be applied to any device that supports MIDI banks. NOTE: This only applies to the PC Messages section of the Presets tab. If you're changing presets using actions, you'll still need to send individual PC and bank messages.
  • Function Switches have a new parameter "On Only" that is used in conjunction with momentary switching and groups. When set, a function switch will only pulse when it's being turned on, not when it's being turned off. This allows you to set up your function switches to select channels on certain amps that require momentary switching.
BUG FIXES:
  • Fixed a crash that happened when incoming MIDI clock tempo changes rapidly
  • Fixed default setting for the Mute button to make sure it shuts off properly when switching presets
  • Corrected the editor to use the correct fonts in preset names in all cases
UPDATE 10/10/2016 -Version 3.1.1
This new version fixes a crash that happened when certain device types are selected in the editor, or when initializing preset numbering on the device.

UPDATE 12/7/2016 -Version 3.1.2
  • Fix a bug that caused weird interactions between the Dev PC+/- buttons and the "Send Redundant PC" setting
  • Fix occasional unexpected button triggering
  • Add "IA" option to Preset 2nd Press setting - 2nd and subsequent presses to a preset button toggle the button's IA setting, sending its actions
  • Update Line 6 Helix CCs
  • Add Selah pedal support
  • Add Source Audio pedal support
UPDATE 12/23/2016 - Version 3.1.4
  • Added the ability for the GT to estimate tempo BPM from the tempo flash messages sent by Axe-Fx and Kemper. This works well with the Axe-Fx, less so with Kemper (the flashes are not super accurate). You can turn off "Show Tempo" if you can't get the tempo value to settle down.
  • Fixed Song/Setlist mode to only highlight the current preset button, even if the same preset appears multiple times in the song.
  • Fixed bugs concerning setlist and song updates using the editor
  • Added support for Kemper firmware 5.x. This won't work 100% correctly until Kemper releases firmware 5.1.0 (soon, they tell me!)
  • Fixed a bug that made weird things happen when you have no preset buttons defined
  • Fixed issues with switching between editing PBCs and Its
  • Fixed a crash when trying to edit Audio actions on the Mastermind LT
UPDATE 1/18/17 - Version 3.1.5:
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the local page from being selected in menus and other places.
  • Fixed a problem that prevented a third press on a preset button from returning from global preset.
  • Fixed a rounding error in tempo display
  • Added a setting "Calculate tempo flash" which disables or enables the calculation of tempo from tap tempo flash messages sent by Axe-Fx and Kemper. This is off by default, you will need to turn it on to re-enable this feature. Until I update the editor, this can only be edited on the device itself. If you change the parameter and read it into the editor, the editor will preserve the setting, but it won't allow you to edit it.
  • Tempo changes no longer interfere with bank select mode.
  • Fixed a problem that happens when entering setup mode or sending settings to the device when the device is on the global preset.
  • LT: On Device PC button page, fixed default CC bypass values to match what Strymon pedals expect.
  • Enabled the ability to send note messages on preset change
UPDATE 2/17/17 - Editor Version 3.1.5:
  • Incorporated all applicable fixes and changes from the 3.1.5 firmware release
  • Added Source Audio programmable EQ support
  • Fixed several bugs involving copying presets and local button pages
  • Fixed external switch editing on Presets tab
  • Fixed a bug that prevented page names from being copied when swapping pages
  • Fixed the Momentary Time setting, which was not saving
  • Improved the ability of the editor to detect whether you have an LT or PBC connected
UPDATE 2/17/17 - Editor Version 3.1.6:
  • Fixed a bug that made the "Do you want to save" dialog appear too often
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the loop Trails setting from getting saved
UPDATE 3/24/17 - firmware version 3.1.6
  • Fixed a bug that caused preset buttons to stay lit when global preset is selected
  • Fixed a bug that caused problems moving from a preset to global preset and back
  • Changed relay updating algorithm to avoid some error cases
UPDATE 3/31/17 - firmware & editor version 3.1.7
  • Added support for Chase Bliss Brothers pedal
  • Fixed a bug involving Axe-Fx tuner display on Mastermind LT
  • Editor: fixed copy and paste of external switches
UPDATE 6/1/17 - firmware version 3.1.8
  • Fixed a bug that prevented external switches from working as preset buttons
  • Fixed a bug that made the Preset - button not work correctly on songs with only one preset
  • Fixed the special "same" tempo value - in a preset, BPM values of 1 or less means "keep the same tempo, don't change"
UPDATE 7/21/17 - firmware version 3.1.9
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the display of loop updates caused by the expression pedal position switch
  • Fixed a bug involving tap tempo on external switches
  • Setlist actions now bring you to the first song and preset in the list
UPDATE 10/25/17 - firmware version 3.1.10
  • Fixed a bug that can cause the PC to lock up in certain cases
  • Fixed a bug involving CC Linked buttons that were part of a group
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T UPDATE TO THIS RELEASE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 3.0 or earlier, your PBC will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind PBC while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind PBC. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MM3110.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MastermindEditor-3.1.7.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MastermindEditor-3.1.7.zip

Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/PBC Manual-3.1.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks Ron, this looks awesome!

Did that idea of sending varying tap divisions to different pedals make it into this release? Just wondering, thanks!

Updated the PBC to 3.1.0 Firmware just fine.

Having difficulty with the Mastermind Editor for PC install. Should I uninstall the PBC Editor first? PBC Editor has been working just fine but I'm sure I want to upgrade to the newer editor......correct?

Thanks Ron, this looks awesome!

Did that idea of sending varying tap divisions to different pedals make it into this release? Just wondering, thanks!

Sorry, that feature didn't make it in this time.

Updated the PBC to 3.1.0 Firmware just fine.

Having difficulty with the Mastermind Editor for PC install. Should I uninstall the PBC Editor first? PBC Editor has been working just fine but I'm sure I want to upgrade to the newer editor......correct?

You'll need to install use the 3.1 editor to work with the 3.1 firmware. Because of the name change, installing one editor doesn't automatically delete the other. You can keep the old editor around or uninstall it.

You'll need to install use the 3.1 editor to work with the 3.1 firmware. Because of the name change, installing one editor doesn't automatically delete the other. You can keep the old editor around or uninstall it.
I'll try it again this afternoon. It seems like the the .zip file is not un-zipping when I do that procedure. Worked fine on the PBC file for the flash drive. When it un-zips it gives me a new file that looks un-zipped but when it starts the installer it doesn't install the program correctly. I'm sure it has to be a "me" problem.

Got it. User error. My unzip program was malfunctioning in the background. I uninstalled it and installed a new unzip program. All working as it should now. Now for college football and then experimenting with the new editor tonight.

THX

Hi Ron,

"Unable to open directory"... when USB insertion
I have my PBC for more than 1 year, I upgrade it until v1.05 and never had trouble.
I tried with two USB keys, with OSX and Windows, same issue.
An idea?

Edit: I finaly found the issue: Erase with MBR... ;)

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

"Unable to open directory"... when USB insertion
I have my PBC for more than 1 year, I upgrade it until v1.05 and never had trouble.
I tried with two USB keys, with OSX and Windows, same issue.
An idea?

Edit: I finaly found the issue: Erase with MBR... ;)

Yes, exactly right!

Bug issue from 3.1.1:
Whem you select the momentary time in the editor (Fn Switch), the value is not transfered to the PBC.
Thx

Will the Editor run with the new Mac OSX Sierra with no problems? I'm tempted to upgrade but need to check if all my software is compatible!

Stumbled across a new improvement in the latest firmware..... and I'm so happy about it. When I'm in the song and I'm assigning presets to the song, the list of "available presets" now stays where it's at instead of going back to available preset #1 each time. This used to drive me NUTS!!! I'd be assigning presets in the 400-405 range and I'd have to rescroll back to where I was at every time. Great fix!!!!!

Version 3.1.2 fixes a couple of bugs, and adds an "IA" option to Preset 2nd Press. Also, added Selah and Source Audio support, and fixed Helix CC definitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back