MASTERMIND GT FIRMWARE 4.0 BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
At long last, here's a beta version of firmware 4.0. Apologies for how long it's taken, I wanted to be done with this a long time ago.

If you have the time and the inclination, it would be great if you could test this out for me. This IS a beta test release, so bugs are to be expected - don't install right before you go out to your next gig!

There are quite a few features and fixes, here are most of them:

Device Support
  • Added the Tap Button CC to Strymon pedals
  • Added missing Bypass CC for the Strymon Mobius
  • Added support for MD-500 and RV-500
  • Added support for Empress Echosystem, Reverb, Tremolo and Phaser
Expression Pedals
  • You can now define up to 128 expression pedal settings blocks. There's a System / ExpPedal action that allows you to switch expression pedal settings on the fly. This replaces expression pedal grouping
External Switches
  • External switches can now have different functions on different button pages (in addition to the per-preset settings they already have).
  • External switches now pay attention to color settings: setting a color to black means "LED off" and any other color means "LED on"
Presets
  • Each preset can now have a button color assigned to it. When a preset button calls up a preset, its button color will be displayed on that preset button (if any color is assigned). This only affects the button when it's on.
  • Each preset can be assigned an alternate preset number. There's a new "Alternate" setting for the "Preset 2nd Press" global setting - when this setting is active, pressing a preset button a second time will recall the preset's alternate preset.
Song / Setlist:
  • It's now possible to select a preset that's not part of the current song, and also possible to select a song that's not part of the current setlist. The current location within song and setlist are preserved, so preset -/+ and song -/+ still function correctly.
  • There is now a System / Song action that allows you to select songs from an IA button, macro, etc. Special values are "None", "Previous" and "Next"
  • The System / Setlist action now has special values "None", "Same", "Previous" and "Next"
  • When switching setlists, will always reset to the first song and preset in the setlist
Tempo
  • Each preset can set a tempo division for the MIDI clock output and the Auto Tap feature
  • Presets can specify a tempo value, or special values "Off", "Same", "Song"
  • Songs can specify a tempo value, or special values "Off", "Same", "Preset"
  • There is now a System / BPM action that allows you to set tempos on the fly. Special values are "Off", "Same", "Song", "Preset", "Plus 1", "Plus 0.1", "Minus 1", "Minus 0.1"
  • There's a setting that enables or disables sending of MIDI start and stop messages when the clock starts and stop
  • There's a setting that enables or disables sending MIDI clock to the secondary output pins of the Remote in port.
  • "Ignore Preset Tempos" setting forces the system to ignore all tempos in presets and act as if the tempo was set to "Song"
  • There is now an "Auto" setting for the "MIDI Clock" parameter. This one makes the system a clock master unless a clock is received from the USB port or Remote In port, in which case it becomes a clock slave
Other Features
  • You can now format flash drives from the setup menu
  • MIDI Forwarding setting allows you to use the GT as a USB MIDI interface for other MIDI devices. Works well with Strymon pedals and the Nixie software on a PC or Mac.
  • PC actions now have "Same" and "Prev" values. The former sends the most recently sent PC again. The latter sends the 2nd to last PC again
  • Added a System / IA Store action
  • There are now "Copy to Preset" and "Copy from Preset" options accessible by right-clicking on presets in the Presets tab of the editor.
  • IA Cycle buttons now have a "Menu" option. When set, pressing the button will bring up a menu of your cycle steps for you to choose from, instead of just moving to the next step.
  • There are now Sysex messages that allow a computer app to receive button notification of button presses and releases, and for an app to set the text, color and state of any button.
Bug Fixes
  • Too many to keep track!
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 3.1 or earlier, your GT will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind PBC while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind GT Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your GT. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT40b1.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MMGTEditor-4.0b1.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MMGTEditor-4.0b1.zip

Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/Mastermind GT Manual-4.0.pdf COMING SOON!

Editor Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki

Hi Ron,

Looks like some great new features. Going to test this out.

Little hiccup: I can't install the mac editor. A message prompts saying I need to check if the software is compatible with my version of macOS. I'm running High Sierra 10.13.4

Installed 4.0. beta and let it convert my settings. So far everything seems to be working just fine.

Ron, wasn't there going to be a "Previous Page" function?

Hrm. Looks like the Mac editor didn't get packaged correctly. Will fix it shortly.

Yes, you can do Previous Page - use a System / Page action with value of "Previous"

The download should be fixed now. It's still giving an "Unknown Developer" message when you run it the first time, and doesn't have an icon, but it appears to work otherwise. I'll figure out that other stuff as soon as I can.

Regarding the previous page thing, I'm trying to focus on putting new features into actions, at least where appropriate. It's a more flexible approach than button types, etc.

Program works!

The expression pedal group shift button is still available, but without expression pedal grouping I don't see how it would work. Maybe I could recreate this button using IA steps with the different pedal settings as steps?

Program works!

The expression pedal group shift button is still available, but without expression pedal grouping I don't see how it would work. Maybe I could recreate this button using IA steps with the different pedal settings as steps?

That's an error, the intent was to remove expression pedal grouping altogether.

Using System / ExpPedal actions and steps will give you the same results (except now you can have the button change color for each pedal setting)

Cool thing about the colors. I currently have a global exp shift button set up, it shifts through a group 3 pedals. Whammy up, Whammy down, EXP. The third one give another name in certain presets, via expression pedal override. That gives me a visual reminder of what it's connected to in the axe FX. To do this I guess the new IA cycle button would have to be non-global, so I can change the step names per preset, correct?

Am I the only one that is both overwhelmed and impressed with each firmware update? Wow, Ron! Just reading the notes makes me scared. The possibilities are mindblowing. Thanks a bunch! Im also curious to see how in the world youll make a good manual that doesnt read a foreign language to ALL languages. I love manuals. Keep up the great work..... A HUGE thanks for having 'prev' as a choice on preset selection page!

Last edited:
'Show only song name" isn't working on mine in beta.
Button Color isnt making any changes.
'Startup on last preset" isnt refreshing in the editor

Expression Pedal setup has me confused:
There's one pedal under GLOBAL:
VOLUME
Under saved settings, I created three pedals:
0 - WAH (External 1)
1 - WHAMMY (External 2)
2 - DELAY MIX (External 4)
When loading the setup from file, the Stored Settings are lost.
When loading from device, they are still there.

What are the four default pedals now?

Expression Pedal setup has me confused:
There's one pedal under GLOBAL:
VOLUME
Under saved settings, I created three pedals:
0 - WAH (External 1)
1 - WHAMMY (External 2)
2 - DELAY MIX (External 4)
When loading the setup from file, the Stored Settings are lost.
When loading from device, they are still there.

What are the four default pedals now?

Wow, I can't believe no one caught that (including me). Will be fixed in the 4.0 release.

What do you know.
I just tried it again and now it works:

Go to Buttons tab
Select a button
right mouse click - select copy
Go to another preset
select edit local buttons
select button
right mouse click - select paste

Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.