Mastermind PBC FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
This is where I'll be gathering answers to the questions we've been getting about the Mastermind PBC. Please feel free to post your questions in another message in this forum - this thread will be locked to keep the information clear and concise. I'll copy the questions and answers over to this thread as needed.

Is it currently available?
Preorders started shipping on February 17, 2015. We're sold out of the first batch, but hope to have more by the end of March.

How can I buy one?
We're taking orders on our website now.

Why is it called the Mastermind PBC?
We decided to call it that so it was a little more clear that this product is a full-fledged MIDI controller in addition to being a loop switcher. It shares the same MIDI capabilities as our Mastermind GT, which makes it a very powerful controller indeed! "PBC" stands for PedalBoard Controller.

Does it have an instant access mode where you can turn loops on individually?
Yes, definitely! Pressing the upper left button turns the other 10 buttons into individual loop buttons.

Can I reassign buttons?
Yes, using the Mac and PC editor, any button can be assigned any function. The default configuration is only a suggestion.

Can I have multiple pages of buttons?
Yes, there are 16 global button pages, and each preset can have its own custom button page. Each page can have completely different functions.

How many MIDI devices can the PBC control?
The PBC can control at least 16 devices, one on each MIDI channel. Some devices can be share MIDI channels, making it possible to have more than 16 in some cases.

What are the USB ports for?
There are two USB ports on the rear panel. One is used for connection to a PC (or Mac). This allows you to use the Mac / PC editor and transfer settings between PBC and computer. The other USB port is used with a USB flash drive. You can use a flash drive to back up and restore your settings. The flash drive is also used for firmware upgrades.

What are the power requirements?
The Mastermind PBC will run on 9VAC, 9VDC or 12VDC. The current consumption at 9VDC is about 500mA, but the current consumption at 12VDC is 400mA.

Can it be powered by a Pedal Power?
The Mastermind PBC can be powered by Pedal Power models that have a 12VDC 400mA output. We have tested it in the lab with a Pedal Power Digital and 4x4. The Mondo should work as well because it has similar outputs. We will test them ourselves in the near future.

Are there any pictures?
The only pictures we have currently are of an incomplete prototype. The pics are on our shopping cart page:
https://www.rjmmusic.com/store/product. ... ctid=16262

If you go to the bottom of the page and click Detailed Images, you can see a rear panel view as well.

Are the switches silent?
Yes, they are the silent type, i.e. they don't have any intentional click. They are the same switches we use in the original Mastermind controller.

Will you offer international power supply options?
We are currently trying to find a good source for international power supplies. There's one candidate I'm looking at now that looks promising. If it's good, we'll be able to supply adapters for most countries.

Will I be able to power it with the Pedal Power series?
The current consumption is still not finalized, but it looks unlikely that it will be under 400mA, which is the limit for the Pedal Power Digital, 4x4, and Mondo. However, we will insure that the PBC will be able to run quietly on a 9VAC supply, which opens up the possibility of using AC output supplies like the Pedal Power AC and Ciokolate. The AC outputs tend to allow 800mA or more of current, which should be more than adequate to power the PBC.

Would the PBC have ins / outs to accommodate a separate or external dry mixer? In other words, outputs / inputs similarly to your RJM Mini Line Mixer?
You can use the loop sends to connect to an external line mixer, just like our other switchers. You can access the dry signal from one of the insert points, for example, the output after loop 6.

Does the internal line mixer have its own input/output jacks?
It doesn't have completely independent ins and outs. The return jacks of loops 7-10 go to the mixer inputs (when these loops are set to parallel). The signal coming out of the last series loop becomes the dry signal and is also fed to the mixer. The main outputs of the PBC are the line mixer outputs (as long as at least one loop is set to parallel).

What can be programmed for each preset?
The following things can be programmed for each preset:

• On/off state for each of Loops 1-10
  • Series/parallel state for each of Loops 7-10
  • Dry signal feed to mixer on/off
  • On/off state for each of function switches 1-4
  • On/off state for Output A and Output B (each independently controllable)
  • Phase invert state for Output B

And of course, you can program it to send a variety of MIDI messages.

How does the series/parallel routing work?
You can choose which of loops 7-10 are series and which are parallel. Each loop receives the output of the the last series loop before it. The dry signal comes from the output of the last series loop. Because of this, you would normally want to have the series loops first, and parallel loops last. For example, if you set loops 7 and 8 to series and loops 9 and 10 to parallel, loops 9 & 10 will receive the output signal from loop 8. Loop 8's output will also be routed to the mixer as the dry signal.

We hope to have a diagram soon that makes it easier to understand the way this all works!

What are the jacks on the rear panel?

We should have artwork for the front & rear panels soon, but for now, here's the jack layout:

Top row, left to right:
Input, loops 1-4
Send 1
Return 1
Send 2
Return 2
Send 3
Return 3
Send 4
Return 4
Output, loops 1-4
Input, loops 5-6
Send 5
Return 5
Send 6
Return 6
Output, loops 5-6
USB A
USB B
Power Input

Bottom row, left to right:
Input, loops 7-10
Mono/stereo input switch
Send 7
Return 7
Send 8
Return 8
Send 9
Return 9
Send 10
Return 10
Mono/stereo output switch
Output A / Left
Output B / Right
Output B iso transformer switch
Expression pedal input
External switch input
Function switch output 1/2
Function switch output 3/4
MIDI In
MIDI Out

All loops are normalled together in series, so if you want to use all 10 loops in series, you don't need to connect anything to Output 1-4, Input 5-6, Output 5-6 and Input 7-10

How do I set a button to do tap tempo using MIDI Clock?

In the Buttons tab, double click the button you wish to edit
Set Type to IA
Set the name and color as desired
Check the "Flash with Tempo" checkbox
Check the "Update on Preset Change" checkbox
Uncheck the "Send on Preset Change" checkbox
If there are any actions in the action list in the lower left corner, click an action, then click Remove Action. Repeat for each action in the list
Click Done

Now, go to the MIDI tab, and set MIDI Clock to Master

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back