MASTERMIND PBC FIRMWARE 4.1.3 / EDITOR 4.1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
At long last, here's 4.1 release of the firmware and editor! Sorry, it took so long, the Axe-Fx III support took much longer than expected to stabilize.

FEATURES
  • Axe-Fx III support!!!
    • Full support for Axe-Fx III including presets, scenes, channels, looper, tuner and more.
    • Requires Axe-Fx III firmware 1.18 or later
    • Requires two MIDI cables between Mastermind and Axe-Fx, or use a phantom power box (part number PPA-DIN7F-2) to combine the Axe-Fx's two MIDI connections and power connection into a single 7-pin MIDI connection to the Mastermind.
    • "PC Messages" section of the Presets tab allows you to specify both preset and scene, if desired
    • Each preset in the Mastermind can keep track of the names of the scenes that are part of the preset.
    • New "Poll State" option in Devices allows the Mastermind to follow and reflect changes made from the Axe-Fx front panel or Axe-Edit
    • The "Get Preset Names" feature allows you to get preset names and optionally scene names from the Axe-Fx III.
    • There is also a "Create Songs" option in "Get Preset Names" that will create Mastermind songs out of Axe-Fx presets, and Mastermind presets out of Axe-Fx III scenes. This is useful if you're controlling other devices in addition to the Axe-Fx - you can use Mastermind presets to select presets on other devices as you select scenes on the Axe-Fx.
  • New button options for hold functions: "IA Mode Only" makes the hold function only work when IA mode is active. It will also only be displayed when IA Mode is active. "Show Name" allows to you turn on or off the display of the hold function's name in the button display.
  • Preliminary support for volume pedals (log taper correction) "Taper X" and "Taper Y" parameters are in the expression pedal global parameters.
  • Support for Ramble FX Kismet pedal
  • Support for Strymon Riverside and Sunset pedals
  • Support for Chase Bliss Condor and Thermae pedals
  • Editor now has "Show Tool Tips" option so you can turn them off when they start annoying you
FIXES IN 4.1.1:
  • Fixed Preset 2nd Press "Prev" option to highlight correct preset
  • Fixed Axe-Fx III support, no longer causes problems with IA buttons that send PCs and other non-CC messages
  • Fixed scene buttons on Axe-Fx III when Poll State on and Ignore Incoming PC on
FIXES IN 4.1.2:
  • Fixes display problems when using Auto Names
  • Fixes song selection via MIDI bank messages
  • Fixes some setup menu options that were showing up incorrectly
FIXES IN 4.1.3:
  • Fix a crash involving tempo flashing on an external switch
  • Fix some odd tuner and/or tempo behavior on startup
NOTES / KNOWN ISSUES
  • If your Mastermind presets are selecting both presets and scenes on the Axe-Fx (such as when using Get Preset Names / Create Songs), you will see it switch to scene 1, then to the desired scene every time you move to a new Axe-Fx preset. This is something I'm trying to work on with Fractal.
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.0 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MM413.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.1.0.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.1.0.zip

Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/PBC Manual-4.1.pdf

Editor Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki

Last edited:
This is great timing. Received my Axe Fx III one week ago :). - Regarding the midi cable between Mastermind PBC and the Axe Fx III: will you need the phantom power box at each end (PPA-DIN7F-2) if you plan to use only one (7pin) cable. - Mastermind PBC have 5-pin midi in/out?

Great news! Thank you. Just out of curiosity. Would it be possible to save my old pedalboard set-up to file,then set up a new one for the Axe3?

Great news! Thank you. Just out of curiosity. Would it be possible to save my old pedalboard set-up to file,then set up a new one for the Axe3?

Definitely. You can save the old settings to a flash drive or computer, and then either create a new setup or modify the old setup to work with the Axe-Fx III.

No, I haven’t even had time to look at it yet. Just always looking for easy. Lots of irons in the fire and lots of other bugs to work out. Thanks, I’ll post when I need help.

So far this is working great! Thanks for the support on this. A few things that I have searched for but can't find. Can the LT resize the font so that the entire preset name appears? It gets cut off if the name is over 10 characters it looks like. Also when I switch presets I can't figure out how to have it show the text name for that preset. It just says Scene 1, Scene 2 etc. If I should move questions like this to another thread let me know. Thanks again.

Sorry, there is no way currently to resize the font.

The names you see are based on a few settings.

If you have a page name set, the page name will always be displayed in the top row
If you are in Song and Setlist mode the song name will always be displayed in the top row, unless a page name is set
If neither of the above are true, then the preset name will be displayed in the top row

If Show Scene Names is turned on, the scene name will be displayed in the bottom row
If you are in Song and Setlist mode, the preset name will be displayed in the bottom row
If neither of the above two are true, then the preset name takes up both rows.

So, it depends on how your settings are configured, but the quickest way to get rid of the scene names is to turn off "Show Scene Names"

Thanks for the clarification and tips. Sorry, I just realized that I posted in the wrong thread. I have the LT not the PBC. Although I guess they are pretty similar.

Thanks for the clarification and tips. Sorry, I just realized that I posted in the wrong thread. I have the LT not the PBC. Although I guess they are pretty similar.

Yes, the advice and instructions are the same on the LT.

Firmware 4.1.2 released, fixes MIDI song selection and corrects some setup menu options.

Thanks for the update and continued support! Dear Santa, could we get the tuner bug fixed on the external switches please :) My only solution right now is to use my rack Peterson strobe tuner which is one less piece I'd like to drag around :)

Thanks for the update and continued support! Dear Santa, could we get the tuner bug fixed on the external switches please :) My only solution right now is to use my rack Peterson strobe tuner which is one less piece I'd like to drag around :)

That turns out to be a difficult problem to fix. It's actually never worked since the PBC was designed - turning on the tuner disables the circuitry that reads the external switches. I'm surprised that others haven't mentioned this (and that I didn't catch this earlier). I'm pretty sure I have a workaround, but it's tricky enough that it will need a fair amount of testing. As long as my idea works, the fix will appear in firmware 4.2, which will be available in a few weeks.

Pressing any preset button will turn off the tuner, if things are configured correctly. Maybe this is a temporary workaround?

Hopefully it can be programmed in. I really appreciate your efforts. You're product design and continued support is why I originally returned my other rack mount switcher for the effects gizmo years ago...then later purchased the PBC. I'd say the next step is create the PBC with a one line screen above each button so you can view what you're pressing. I'd buy it!

The tuner, I've got another temporary workaround if it works(even better then what I'm doing now using the external Peterson off of the Effects Gizmo).. I literately just thought of this and not sure why I haven't before...switch the on-board tuner button to a hold function for now! This allows the tuner to reside on the same page as I'm working on...and most importantly remove the ability of me accidentally depressing that button muting my sound in the middle of a solo. Hitting the mute button as it sits now, is like breaking a string in the middle of an important solo. ...it just has the ability to screw everything up.

4.1.3 is now available, fixed a couple of bugs, including one crash. The external switch / tuner bug is not fixed yet, sorry...

4.1.3 is now available, fixed a couple of bugs, including one crash. The external switch / tuner bug is not fixed yet, sorry...

Thanks for the update Ron. It's OK you haven't been able to correct the external tuner switch. It's not a priority to most, so I'd rather you work on any other fires that need put out first. As mentioned, a fix for me was to use the tuner switch as on hold only on the main board. It works just fine that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back