Mini Line Mixer ?

Hello all,

I'm beginning to do some research on replacing my old "el cheapo" behringer line mixers with something smaller and of higher quality. I need smaller to save space and weight in my rack, and better quality, for obvious reasons... ;) .

The Mini Line Mixer seems the perfect tool. Just a question. It's not really clear to me from the manual if some of the input and output 1/4" jacks are TRS and some are TS? I need 2 mixers; for one spot in the signal chain it only needs to be mono, unbalanced, and in the other, stereo, balanced, if possible.

Thanks for your help!! :)

Fernando

The TRS inputs are stereo (so you only need 1 cable, not 2, from FX processors that have suitable outputs). If you connect to both jacks, they're mono. The TS jacks, if the only jacks plugged in, split the signal to both left and right outputs. There's no balanced wiring in the MLM as far as I'm aware. It'd be irrelevant in a guitar rig anyway as no guitar amps are wired balanced. Balanced wiring has its place in the studio, or sending line level signals long distances. With short cable runs in a controlled environment such as a guitar rack, it's pretty much irrelevant.

Thanks for the reply! I was curious about the balanced connectors since some of the rack effects i presently use, a Lexicon MX400 and an old Alesis Q2, have balanced connectors. I always try to use balanced connectivity not so much for the "sound quality" aspect, but for the noise rejection aspect. I figure anything to eliminate "buzz and hum", especially in a guitar rack system, is worth the small effort it takes to wire it up balanced whenever possible. Again, thanks! :)

MartinCliffe said:
The TRS inputs are stereo (so you only need 1 cable, not 2, from FX processors that have suitable outputs). If you connect to both jacks, they're mono. The TS jacks, if the only jacks plugged in, split the signal to both left and right outputs. There's no balanced wiring in the MLM as far as I'm aware. It'd be irrelevant in a guitar rig anyway as no guitar amps are wired balanced. Balanced wiring has its place in the studio, or sending line level signals long distances. With short cable runs in a controlled environment such as a guitar rack, it's pretty much irrelevant.

So I am confused. Say I have a G Force and Eclipse effects processors. I go into each ones inputs from the Rack Gizmo and then instead of coming out of the left and right of them into the mixer I use a TRS cable and only go into input 1,2 and then from the preamp itself I go into the dry input. Then on the output side do I come out of the L/R both to the L/R of my power amp? Or do I use another TRS cable coming out of here and then use an insert cable to split the stereo signal to go L/R into the power amp?

Your choice of TRS vs. left and right TS jacks on the input side does not affect what you can (or can't) use on the output side. So, you could have the signal coming in to the input using TRS cables, and come out of the output using the left and right outputs.

If your processors don't have TRS inputs/outputs, then I'd recommend using individual left and right cables throughout so you're not tied to using insert cables.

rjmmusic said:
Your choice of TRS vs. left and right TS jacks on the input side does not affect what you can (or can't) use on the output side. So, you could have the signal coming in to the input using TRS cables, and come out of the output using the left and right outputs.

If your processors don't have TRS inputs/outputs, then I'd recommend using individual left and right cables throughout so you're not tied to using insert cables.

So for example is I am coming out of the G Force from the Stereo L side with TRS into 1 on the Mini Mix, then Eventide Eclipse Stereo L side TRS into 2 on the Mini Mix and coming in dry from a Bogner Fish, all of this running through a Rack Gizmo then I could come out of the Mini Mix L/R into a power amp and have a full stereo setup? If this is true, is this the recommended way to do a setup like this?

My goal is to have pedals in the Rack Gizmo to go into the front of the fish preamp, then the two rack units and fish into the mixer out to a stereo power amp and use the mastermind to power it all. I could not figure out based on the Mini Mixer how to do stereo and did not know it could be done with one cable, and I guess I still am not sure until I get some confirmation.

Thanks!

You can only do it with 1 cable if your processor supports stereo TRS out. I've not come across many (any?) that do - it's just a feature of the Mini Line Mixer that's there "in case" (and is useful when using it to submix some keyboards which have stereo outputs on a single jack).

What I think you'd want to do in your example is to run two cables from each of the G-Force and the Eclipse to the Mini Line Mixer, plus your dry signal (can be a single cable into the TS(R) jack of input 4). Then go from the stereo outputs to your power amp etc. So, if you're using your Rack Gizmo loops 7 and 8 to feed the two processors, you'd connect it like this:

Fish output > RG Loop 7 IN
RG Loop 7 SEND > G-Force IN
RG Loop 7 RETURN - not connected
RG Loop 7 OUT > RG Loop 8 IN
RG Loop 8 SEND > Eclipse IN
RG Loop 8 RETURN - not connected
RG Loop 8 OUT > Mini Line Mixer TS input 4
G-Force left OUT > Mini Line Mixer input 1 left
G-Force right OUT > Mini Line Mixer input 1 right
Eclipse left OUT > Mini Line Mixer input 2 left
Eclipse right OUT > Mini Line Mixer input 2 right

MartinCliffe said:
You can only do it with 1 cable if your processor supports stereo TRS out. I've not come across many (any?) that do - it's just a feature of the Mini Line Mixer that's there "in case" (and is useful when using it to submix some keyboards which have stereo outputs on a single jack).

What I think you'd want to do in your example is to run two cables from each of the G-Force and the Eclipse to the Mini Line Mixer, plus your dry signal (can be a single cable into the TS(R) jack of input 4). Then go from the stereo outputs to your power amp etc. So, if you're using your Rack Gizmo loops 7 and 8 to feed the two processors, you'd connect it like this:

Fish output > RG Loop 7 IN
RG Loop 7 SEND > G-Force IN
RG Loop 7 RETURN - not connected
RG Loop 7 OUT > RG Loop 8 IN
RG Loop 8 SEND > Eclipse IN
RG Loop 8 RETURN - not connected
RG Loop 8 OUT > Mini Line Mixer TS input 4
G-Force left OUT > Mini Line Mixer input 1 left
G-Force right OUT > Mini Line Mixer input 1 right
Eclipse left OUT > Mini Line Mixer input 2 left
Eclipse right OUT > Mini Line Mixer input 2 right

Thanks Martin, that is exactly how I had it laid out initially, but after reading about doing with one cable I got curious and had no knowledge of how that worked. Sounds like for my situation it does not work, the above however does so perfectly!! Thanks again!!

Back