Multiple rack effects level issue

bratfink

Hi All,

So I am still learning about my Efects Gizmo.

I have a Behringer Modulizer rack effects unit. Since it is stereo I have it in loop 9 and a Peveay Univerb II in loop 10. I have loops 9 and 10 in the effects loop of a Marshall JMP-1 preamp.

If I switch loop 9 on and off I don't notice much difference in level. If I switch loop 10 on and off I don't notice much level drop. If I switch both loops 9 and 10 on and off there is a large increase in level (with the loops off). I have tried every possible combination line and instrument level switch and pot on both rack units and cannot seem to get it straight.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

First of all make sure that all of the signals comimg out of the JMP fx loop are line level +4db or intrument level -10db and set it to match the other units I know the behringer can be switched between the two but not sure on the univibe if its not adjustable its probably intrument level but check in the manual.
it may be effect level in the 2 units from memory the behringer unit you have the ability to set whether the mix is carried out internally or externally. YOu need it set to internal and from there you can set the effect level in each patch + if I remember correctly there is also a mix control
I assume the univerb has a similar level control.

It is not uncommon to find signal mismatches like this with multiple units and it can often take a bit of time to get all the levels evened out.

It turns out I was only running half the Behringer since I don't have any XLR Y to TRS cables to run into the the stereo sockets of loop 9.

So I jerry rigged it to get both side of the Behringer running using 1/4 instrument cable.

I have now used loop 9 for LH and loop 10 for RH so both loops have to be on for the full effect.

With both loops on there is no level change, I guess it was just the fact I was only running LH.

I took the Univerb out of any loop and have run it in series between the JMP-1 output and the power amp input. There is a defeat (bypass) jack on the Univerb, I have run that to the output of loop 11.

So now turning loop 11 on turn the Univerb to bypass.

I now have greater control over the input - output variables since the Behringer and the Univerb are not in direct series (unless I have the effect mix set to max in the preamp).

I also double checked everything was at +4db. The Univerb has no switch but has independent input and output pots to control the level.

Either way within 10 mins I had the levels straight, as opposed to hours of messing about before.

Thanks for the advice. And keep the suggestions coming.

Back