PBC Line Mixer Overdriven by Bad Cat FX loop

Mikeohman

I have 2 amps - Kingley Regent with FX loop send level control, and a Bad Cat Cub15R with no send level control.
The Kingsley works perfectly, the Bad Cat overloads / distorts the line mixer in the PBC as far as I can tell.
It distorts with all loops in bypass so I assume therefore it is the line mixer that is distorting.
I inserted a volume pedal between the Bad Cat send and the input to the PBC, turned down the leve a bit and that solved the problem.
However - having to use a guitar volume pedal just for this purpose is inconvenient to say the least.
Any suggestions other than installing a level control in the Bad Cat amp?

Wow, that must be a very hot effect loop. The PBC's mixer should be able to handle at least +/- 10 volts. Modding the amp to lower the loop level is the only other thing I can think of if you don't want to use outboard gear to correct for it.

How high are you running the preamp volume? The preamp volume dictates the output of the FX Send on those amps. If you are getting your gain from the amp's preamp, you could use a tube-buffered loop pedal, or have a junction box built with a -6dB to -12dB pad switch for use with the BadCat. XTS built a similar one for me because my Matchless' FX Loop is a little hot also.

Back