PBC w/ Strymon Nixie App

Good advice, I've got a hefty amount invested in pedals too and if $30 is getting in my way, I'm quite foolish ... I will remedy that problem immediately after I post this reply ... thanks again Rick. Keep you posted.
Hey Tim, I've gone back and forth with Matt at Strymon and found some insight on your problem. Have you by chance in Nixie used one of the Factory Preset Collection presets to build a preset and then sync to your Strymon Device?

What I'm hearing a common bug is with the Beta software(and firmware for that matter) is that when you use one of the Factory Preset Collection presets and you write it to your pedal, the preset writes over the "factory bank" of presets rather than the "user bank" of presets...

Thought I would share the insight from Matt the Strymon tech with you all --

"Basically, the pedal needs to store all of the factory defaults on-board. That way, when the user resets their pedal, it is able to restore all of the original presets that came on the pedal. These are stored in a backup I have been calling the "factory bank." The "user bank" consists of everything you actually see on the pedal when you use it, and when you save changes, it saves those changes to the user bank, but never the factory bank. That way, if something goes wrong, it is easy to just wipe it all out and start fresh from factory.

In Nixie, user presets have a specific byte of data that specifies if it saves to the user or the factory bank. Obviously, this should only ever be saved to the user bank. We uncovered a bug, however, where all of the "Factory Preset Collection" presets all have the byte to save to the factory bank instead. This was causing issues where people would take these as a starting point and edit them. Then, when they write to the pedal, it writes to the factory bank and the change disappears because the user bank is what gets displayed. The fix was to write all the changes you want and then perform a factory reset, as then it would copy the factory bank (which has all of your changes) to the user bank, so you can actually access them." ---

This might be why you cannot see the the changes you make on your pedal that you write from Nixie, because they are actually writing to the factory bank.

I unfortunately had to go back to previous firmware versions because the beta was having trouble keeping the kill-dry feature on after the unit is power cycled which is VERY important when you are using a parallel path like many PBC users do.

It sounds like they are working hard at creating a stable version of firmware for the units as well as a full 1.0 version of Nixie. This might not might get you to a solution but I wanted to share with all of you what information I've been able to gather thus far for those having issues. Will let you know if I hear anything else or somehow come up with a workaround.

Hey Tim, I've gone back and forth with Matt at Strymon and found some insight on your problem. Have you by chance in Nixie used one of the Factory Preset Collection presets to build a preset and then sync to your Strymon Device?

What I'm hearing a common bug is with the Beta software(and firmware for that matter) is that when you use one of the Factory Preset Collection presets and you write it to your pedal, the preset writes over the "factory bank" of presets rather than the "user bank" of presets...

Thought I would share the insight from Matt the Strymon tech with you all --

"Basically, the pedal needs to store all of the factory defaults on-board. That way, when the user resets their pedal, it is able to restore all of the original presets that came on the pedal. These are stored in a backup I have been calling the "factory bank." The "user bank" consists of everything you actually see on the pedal when you use it, and when you save changes, it saves those changes to the user bank, but never the factory bank. That way, if something goes wrong, it is easy to just wipe it all out and start fresh from factory.

In Nixie, user presets have a specific byte of data that specifies if it saves to the user or the factory bank. Obviously, this should only ever be saved to the user bank. We uncovered a bug, however, where all of the "Factory Preset Collection" presets all have the byte to save to the factory bank instead. This was causing issues where people would take these as a starting point and edit them. Then, when they write to the pedal, it writes to the factory bank and the change disappears because the user bank is what gets displayed. The fix was to write all the changes you want and then perform a factory reset, as then it would copy the factory bank (which has all of your changes) to the user bank, so you can actually access them." ---

This might be why you cannot see the the changes you make on your pedal that you write from Nixie, because they are actually writing to the factory bank.

I unfortunately had to go back to previous firmware versions because the beta was having trouble keeping the kill-dry feature on after the unit is power cycled which is VERY important when you are using a parallel path like many PBC users do.

It sounds like they are working hard at creating a stable version of firmware for the units as well as a full 1.0 version of Nixie. This might not might get you to a solution but I wanted to share with all of you what information I've been able to gather thus far for those having issues. Will let you know if I hear anything else or somehow come up with a workaround.

Thanks ... I appreciate all the research and thoroughly detailed explanation ... however, I really believe (at this point) my problem is simply the MIDI Interface (I've been using an M-Audio Midisport 2x2 ... not one of the Strymon recommended interfaces) that just can't communicate with the configuration that I've diagrammed. I found another Midisport 2x2 that I had laying around (hiding in another drawer) and attempted the same set-up and test and still no communication - Nixie just doesn't see my Big 3. I'm only a day or two away from receiving my Roland UM-One (I went with Roland being I'm having issues with the M-Audio). Meanwhile, after I vote today (glad this election is almost over - regardless of the outcome) I'm going to reset all the pedals to their factory presets (including the PBC) and give it another go ... what the heck, I've got a day or two to mess around until the new interface arrives and all of my stuff has been backed-up.

I'll will most definitely make a new post right here of any new developments - successes and/or failures - thanks so much for your help

After my misdirected package that was routed through the Mojave Desert Post Office, I finally received my Roland UM-One ... I'm happy to report the MIDI Interface I was using seems to have been the entire problem ... Nixie sees all devices with the UM-One! (I don't get it ... I tried once again this morning to make the M-Audio Midisport work but no luck) ... so, DO NOT USE THE M-AUDIO MidiSport 2X2. A $39 solution - Roland UM-One ... thanks to all that have tried to assist with this issue, greatly appreciated! Now, on to learning what Nixie can do for me! Thanks again!

Last edited:
I finally got it to work. But the only way I got to work was not having my PBC connected to the PBC editor. I just plugged my MIDI interface from my Macbook to the MIDI IN on the PBC to the last MIDI pedal in the chain. Even with that I think its great! Especially now that I can have my H9 Control on too!!!

UPDATE:
Creative EMU XMIDI 1X1
Well it worked, sort of. Its been crashing Nixie and sorts of weird things happening when switching presets thru my PBC. It also works Perfectly when its only connected to one pedal. So Im gonna order a Roland EMU-One and hope this is my last of 3 midi interfaces I had to go thru... Seems people here have been having luck with that set up. o_O

UPDATE:
Creative EMU XMIDI 1X1
Well it worked, sort of. Its been crashing Nixie and sorts of weird things happening when switching presets thru my PBC. It also works Perfectly when its only connected to one pedal. So Im gonna order a Roland EMU-One and hope this is my last of 3 midi interfaces I had to go thru... Seems people here have been having luck with that set up. o_O

And also no luck with Roland UM-ONE.... WTF.:mad:

And also no luck with Roland UM-ONE.... WTF.:mad:

OK...
So Its no the USB Midi Interfaces. Ive checked both, the Roland UM-ONE and The Creative EMU XMIDI and I got them working now. How? I had to got to the PBC editor and redo my devices. Apparently some of the new features didn't roll over. Now everything works. EXCEPT... I can't write to my Strymon pedals. It reads them fine. :confused:*Sigh...

OK...
So Its no the USB Midi Interfaces. Ive checked both, the Roland UM-ONE and The Creative EMU XMIDI and I got them working now. How? I had to got to the PBC editor and redo my devices. Apparently some of the new features didn't roll over. Now everything works. EXCEPT... I can't write to my Strymon pedals. It reads them fine. :confused:*Sigh...

Good news! Glad for you ... quite the hurdle for me too. I've been out of town for a week and haven't messed with it to check for any "wierdness" that may still be "lying-in-wait"!

OK...
Same here. I have tried everything. Can't get it to write. reads and backs up fine but can't do anything in terms of writing to the device.

I would love to see this problem sorted out in a future firmware update. Being able to use the PBC as a MIDI interface with all of our Strymon pedals for Nixie would make our lives a lot easier. MIDI IO is already connected to the PBC anyway. Having to only carry a single USB to USB-A cable would be amazing.

Uno's MIDI out goes to the MIDI In on the PBC. Be sure to turn on MIDI Merge on the PBC.
What does midi merge actually do? I turned it on, and now I'm able to plug my midi interface cables into the MIDI IN on the PBC, and the MIDI OUT on the Timeline. I do this because the PBC's MIDI OUT is connected to the MIDI IN on the Timeline. I'm able to use the Nixie app this way, but I'm wondering if midi merge will affect anything else in my rig.

What does midi merge actually do? I turned it on, and now I'm able to plug my midi interface cables into the MIDI IN on the PBC, and the MIDI OUT on the Timeline. I do this because the PBC's MIDI OUT is connected to the MIDI IN on the Timeline. I'm able to use the Nixie app this way, but I'm wondering if midi merge will affect anything else in my rig.

MIDI Merge takes any messages coming from USB or the MIDI In and sends them through the MIDI Output.

MIDI Merge takes any messages coming from USB or the MIDI In and sends them through the MIDI Output.
I've turned midi merge on, but I can't get the Nixie app to see the Timeline now. It's kind of a hassle having to unplug the midi connection from the PBC to the Timeline every time I need to program delays, which for a while will be every Sunday until I get all of my regular tunes preset in the Mastermind editor.

Any updates? I've tried an Iconnectivity MIO & Yamaha UX16... The MIO read each device **the very first time** but duplicated the BigSky & Timeline... I had 2 of each pedal in the Nixie app... After disconnecting, restarting, and trying again... I've been unsuccessful. Can't find jack squat :-/

Okay guys, have an update! While Ron works on a more permanent 1 cable solution in the software (and Ron if you are ever in Washington, give me a ring, beer is on me for all the hard work you put in) I found a way to get things up and running...

This solution requires your normal USB 2.0 cable to connect to the PBC and some sort of midi interface. I used an M-Audio Uno USB to midi interface. I'm sure you could also use an audio interface that has Midi I/O included.

It's fairly simple on the software side. You need to go to the Midi tab on the PBC Editor and enable "Midi Merge". This basically allows you to send midi information from the Strymon App through the USB cable then converts the signal to midi on the midi out of the PBC.

As usaual you string your midi devices together. But on the last midi out (for me it's my Big Sky) I connect the Midi Out of the midi USB interface to the Midi Out of the Big Sky or whatever is last in your chain.

So, you do not connect the Midi IN of the midi interface to the PBC input, only connect the midi interface to the output of your last pedal in the chain.

The genius here is that Ron allowed the PBC to act as a converter on the MIDI send and change USB to Midi on the output Midi of the PBC. I tried connecting the Midi send to the input of the PBC and the pedals did not like it. It created a midi feedback loop like I thought and the Strymon App was competing between the send of the PBC USB-Midi against the Midi interface.

This method seems to work for me and I have all three Strymon Units working and syncing to Nixie. Give it a try!
Works great for me too , While I wait for a Usb only solution from Ron :)

Works great for me too , While I wait for a Usb only solution from Ron :)
Have you actually been able to write via the method described? I can get the devices to read totally fine. Then when I hit write it looks like they update but when I click a different preset and go back to the previously "written" preset them it shows that nothing was actually written.

Have you actually been able to write via the method described? I can get the devices to read totally fine. Then when I hit write it looks like they update but when I click a different preset and go back to the previously "written" preset them it shows that nothing was actually written.
I haven't tried that, sorry, just backing up my presets on the Timeline and Mobius ( In case I loose them )

Hi Everyone, first time posting to this forum and I can't say how much I love the Mastermind PBC. Fantastic device. I just wanted to chime in on the Nixie app for strymon pedals. I have the same issue as some in that I cannot write changes to the Strymon pedals when connected through the PBC. If I bypass the PBC and my chain becomes H9-1->H9-2->Timeline->Mobius then everything works fine.

One other question as I am a MIDI noob. Can multiple applications communicate over MIDI or does one app own the MIDI bus? I ask because I use the PBC to send program changes to Apple MainStage to change keyboard patches as well (works fantastic) and wondering if having Nixie open would break that.

Some additional details:
I have MIDI merge enabled on the PBC.
MIDI/USB interface: Roland UM-1 mk2 (latest drivers)
PCB firmware: 3.1.7
Mastermind Editor: 3.1.7
Latest version of Nixie for macOS.
For the H9's I just use Bluetooth which works great.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Alan

Generally speaking you can have multiple programs communicate with a single MIDI driver in OS X.

Ron, sorry to dig up an old thread. I was taking a look at this and trying to make the setup they suggest work, but to no avail.

However, I have another question...I have tried what I'm about to say, and it doesn't appear to be a problem, I'm just wondering if you know of something I don't. I have a MIDI>USB (it's a MIO brand, bought on Amazon). My MIDI chain is: PBC, BigSky, Timline, Mobius. If I plug the MIDI OUT of my USB interface into the "MIDI IN" port on the PBC (I normally have nothing plugged into this port) and the MIDI IN of the USB into the last pedal (Mobius) I can get Nixie to read all 3 pedals. However, I cannot write to them.

I guess my question is, does the incoming MIDI data arriving at the PBC MIDI IN port get passed to the MIDI OUT port? If yes, seems like I should be able to write to the Strymons (unless Nixie doesn't like something being in the way).

Back