PHANTOM POWERING THE GT

The polarity of the power pins doesn't matter, but the polarity of the data pins definitely does.

Thanks Ron.
On the drawing I supplied, I used the Gordius pin-out for the connections. But on that one, there was no mention of + or -. But since I Used a converter from the XLR to MIDI at both ends it worked. But when I only use one, since the XLR goes into the GT, it doesn't.
Strange no one noticed the mistake on the drawing.

Any plans to release 10 and 16 button GTs with the XLR MIDI connectors? I am currently trying to decide which model to buy... I only want 16 buttons but I far prefer the idea of XLR connectors (only available on the GT22).

Any plans to release 10 and 16 button GTs with the XLR MIDI connectors? I am currently trying to decide which model to buy... I only want 16 buttons but I far prefer the idea of XLR connectors (only available on the GT22).

At this point, there are no plans to add the connectors to the smaller models.

Hello Ron

A quick question or two.
I have ordered a Kemper rack amp and had planned to use the Rack Gizmo for phantom power for the GT22. Is this doable or does this ruin the bi-directional functionality?

I have the XLR cables and if I need the PPA what type do I have to order? I guess the (XLR-6F output, two DIN-5 inputs)

Thanks

Alf

Hello Ron

A quick question or two.
I have ordered a Kemper rack amp and had planned to use the Rack Gizmo for phantom power for the GT22. Is this doable or does this ruin the bi-directional functionality?

I have the XLR cables and if I need the PPA what type do I have to order? I guess the (XLR-6F output, two DIN-5 inputs)

Thanks

Alf

Unfortunately, having the Rack Gizmo in between does prevent bidirectional communication from working over a single cable. A phantom power box is the answer, and yes, you would choose the one with two 5-pin inputs. 7-pin or XLR6 is your choice, either will work with a GT/22.

DSCN6544.JPG DSCN6545.JPG DSCN6543.JPG
I use this to power my setup. I REALLY like the one cable to the mmgt in bidirectional and powered. I purchased this box and a cable from RJM. Over time tho, I realized I didnt want to have to unplug my rig to power down, and the mmgt hasn't any switch. I found a random rocker with light and installed it on the ground side of the midi connector. Its a 12v automotive cheapie. The rocker led is really dim (designed for 12V), but at least its common. The red led is a standard 5v led, I soldered in a resistor. Itll knock your eyes out. The red indicated power to the box. The blue rocker indicates power to the cable. I covered connections in hot glue and ran a bead down the led lines to separate and hold led in.
My second issue was: I use my mmgt to control a LOT of things around the studio, not just the axe fx. The box worked great running direct, but i wanted to run into and out of a motu device, so I could distribute the midi streams accordingly. I found the axe unreliable when you run much midi thru it, so I added a midi jack (so much random crap around here) and wired it into the "input" side of the bidirectional cable. So far, nothing has exploded, the axe works just fine for tuner mode, name sync and presets etc. I have to be mindful to NOT cause a neverending loop thru the motu, or it crashes the unit. Now i can power the mmgt, use bidirectional midi, turn off the gt with a switch, and route midi thru a motu before it reaches other devices... on ONE cable. Hooray. I wouldnt be shocked if what Ive done, is something Ron already sells.

Hi Ron,

Just ordered a Effect Gizmo and a GT/16, and could not be more excited about basing my rack build around these!

My question is with regard to my MIDI situation, which is complicated... MIDI devices are as follows:
Effect Gizmo
GT/16
Selah Quartz pedal (to send MIDI clock to my pedals)
Kemper KPA (rack mount version)
Empress MIDIBox connecting:
- Chase Bliss Brothers
- Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl
- Empress Echosystem
- Empress Reverb

I would like to set it up to do the following:
-Use the Quartz to send global midi clock and be able to tap tempos
-Use the GT/16 for both Kemper control and to save presets to turn loops on and off in the effects gizmo
-Have the GT/16 be phantom powered
-Have the four pedals connected to the MIDIBox receive program changes

I have an idea as to how I'd wire this up on the MIDI side of things, but I'm still fairly new to MIDI and need to make sure I order the right cables. I *think* the best way to do this is to create a loop for bi-directional communication between the Quartz, GT/16 & the KPA (Quartz is included in this loop since it's going to be on my board next to the GT/16). I was then thinking to run out of the KPA's MIDI Thru into the Effect Gizmo, then out of that into the MIDIBox.

With Phantom powering the GT/16 (assuming the Effect Gizmo can do that, I'm not sure) I would probably have to loop in the Effect Gizmo. If it's not capable of powering the GT/16 like that, what phantom power adapter do I need?

Lastly, all the I/O for my rack is mounted in a 1U XLR punched panel on the front of the rack using pass-thru connectors. I have been unable to find a 7-pin MIDI pass thru anywhere... is anyone aware of a company that makes them? I can always buy the kind you wire up, but was hoping to have something that was all enclosed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Tyler

There are a few complications, most notably you can't have the Quartz in between the GT and a phantom power source. It won't pass phantom power.

Considering what you have, the connections would probably need to be:

GT MIDI Out -> Quartz -> KPA MIDI In
KPA MIDI Out -> GT Remote In
KPA MIDI Thru -> Effect Gizmo -> MIDI Box

The GT would have to be powered with its own adapter.

I don't know of anyone who makes a 7-pin passthru connector, unfortunately.

Which section carries the phantom power? The part that goes from the KPA MIDI Out -> GT Remote In? The position of the Quartz before or after the GT doesn't matter, all it does in my setup is function as a midi clock. Then again maybe I don't need it? Can't I program patches in the GT to send tap tempo automatically now? I'm really interested in making the phantom power thing work. Does the Effect Gizmo supply that or would I need an external phantom power source?

Thanks

Yes, the GT can send tempo using MIDI clock.

To get phantom power working, you would need to do it like this:
GT MIDI Out -> Effect Gizmo MIDI In (using a 7-pin MIDI cable)
Effect Gizmo MIDI Thru -> KPA MIDI In
KPA MIDI Out -> GT Remote In
KPA MIDI Thru -> MIDI Box

Then use the GT's power adapter to power the Effect Gizmo instead of the one that came with the Effect Gizmo.

Awesome. Guess I need to order some cables and figure out how to build my own pass thru-7 pin.

Thanks!

Hi Ron, a couple of questions:

1-when I use phantom power (with 7 pin cable and power phantom box), in some screens it is almost impossible to read the writing, there is less brightness, less contrast, the color is less vivid (and it's not a display setting issue).
Instead if I use the two 5-pin midi cables + original power supply, the LCD screens are perfect.
I used an high quality cable, with all the 7 pin wired and the pin 2 wired using the shield wire, it is unlikely (though not impossible) that it has been done wrong.

2- (and most important) With the use of the 7-pin cable (and power phantom box) there is no two-way communication? I ask this because when I change preset the IA button doesn't follow the Kemper preset setting (I have to press the first time the I/A button, and then switch it on or off).

Last edited:
That's definitely a power issue. Your 7-pin cable is too long or the wires in it are too thin. We sell cables that use two wires for each power connection, that allows much longer cable runs.

There should be bidirectional MIDI with that setup. Make sure Bidirectional MIDI is turned on in MIDI settings, and make sure you have KPA selected in Devices (not KPA Slave). Your buttons that control stomp slots should have "Send on Preset Change" and "Update on Preset Change" turned off - this should already be the case if you've always had "KPA" selected in the Devices tab.

Hi Ron,

Working on setting up Kemper control through the MMGT/16 & have a couple issues/questions to sort out

1) I can't get the Kemper to recognize that I have a volume pedal plugged in. I'm using a Bloomery (active, powered using the accessory power port on the GT/16) with an insert cable, and the tip is plugged into the pedal input, the ring to the output, and the TRS end plugged into Expression Port 1 on the GT/16.

2) The KPA will periodically say 'midi controller connected' followed by 'MMGT x.x.x Connected' I thought this was a cable issue, but i've tried several different cables. I've also tried not phantom powering it (I'm using the Effect Gizmo in the loop like we discussed) but none of that seems to make a difference.

Let me know what you think, thanks

Can you get the volume pedal to calibrate?

The connected message seems to have happened with earlier firmware. Are you using the latest firmware on the GT and Kemper?

Back