Problems with a basic setup :(

Hi all,

Have a very basic setup in mind but having some issues (see attached pic)
Using the GT16 with an Axe-Fx3
Just want to have preset 1-5 in the bottom row
preset 6-10 in the middle row
Tuner up top and tap tempo next to it
Bank up and down to the side as shown

Possibly in the future looper record/play in preset 5 position and looper stop in preset 10 position for some patches or overall.

Trouble is when I use the editor it automatically shuffles the preset 1-5 in the middle row

I have no interest in using scenes at all ....only want to use presets (ie default scene1)

Also whenever I change a preset the corresponding PC will trigger any devices downstream

Is there anyway to set it up like this and download the presets direct from the axe-fx iii?

THanks!

Attachments

• RJM.jpg
    RJM.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 10
Ok got the Tuner and tap tempo sorted, just can't get the middle row to do the presets :(

Also how do you assign buttons on the IA page only? :S

You can add the Preset Menu button type to your page and call up all the presets and bank up/dn through them. This gives you more flexibility. I would start with setting the default button page for the Axe FX3 and replace any IA button with the Preset Menu button. To speed up your process or just to achieve what you asked I suggest connecting to a computer and using the MMGT Editor. I use the right click, Assign Default CC option to quickly build layouts. You can even easily make custom pages per preset. Although you can do almost everything on the pedal itself, the editor is a huge time saver with tool tips that explain this beast.

Getting Preset Names and Scene Names is easy. Ron explained the basic setup in the video below.

I have a Utility page where I can access the Get Preset Names function without digging through the setup menu, or getting on the floor, which allows me to move presets around in Axe Edit and update the GT rapidly. It really took me a couple years to get to this point but I have unlocked the power and it is amazing what theses things can do together. Here is a look at my working layout. The >>Items are hold functions which are system buttons or direct page access. I borrowed this idea from another poster. I generally use 2 pages but have mapped all the blocks so I can see what is on every preset which is useful for building new patches. Hope this was helpful.

Attachments

• GT22.jpg
    GT22.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi there, thanks for the reply

I'm getting a little worried I might not be able to do this now :(
It would be no different than most very basic midi controllers just having a bank of presets 1-10 (and tap tuner and tempo up top)

Idea being 70% of my stuff would be done just on the first bank (clean/clean dly/crunch/ crunch dly/lead etc)

Then for specific songs in the set list I just go up the bank
Top row of presets will have nothing in them but the name of the song
Bottom row specific presets for that song

This way also makes it very easy to switch in my guitar synth on various patches as I just program the patch for the preset I'm on and its switching through them all the time

The other thing is I will have a back up Axe-Fx II with the exactly same programing (slightly diff sounds of course) but I'm hoping it will work exactly the same

I have to run for a flight but hopefully this can be done with the GT16 :(

For preset buttons, set Preset Index on each button to indicate the order you wish the presets to appear in. Set preset index to 1 on the button you want the first preset to appear, set it to 2 on the button you want the first preset to appear, etc.

IA Mode is not independent from normal mode. All IA mode does is convert non-IA buttons (preset, bank, etc) to IA buttons. If you want to make more drastic changes, I recommend using button pages instead of IA mode - each button page can have a completely different button configuration.

Thanks for the reply.
I noticed in the editor though you couldn’t make the bottom row 1-5 and middle 6-10. It always puts the lower numbers above.

At worst I can work around this.... but my no1 issue now is not being able to have 10 presets.

So tuner/tempo all good but what do I have to do to get a setup like the picture in my first post or is it not possible to have 10 presets? :(

The preset index changes I mentioned will allow you to change the preset buttons to any order.

Thanks for the replies all!

I was looking more into the manual today and I might explore the songs/setlists setup but it looks like it has limitations for what I need to do. Also I won’t be able to work on it until Sunday night.

So the only thing is when I do the setup for the axe-fx 3/GT16, how can I get presets 1-10 on the bottom and middle rows?
When I did dump presets I turned off scenes and went preset 1-30 just for this attempt but it only had preset 1-5 on the bottom row and then I had to bank up to get the next set.... it would be the same as the picture I uploaded.

Except the preset names would dump to those spots of course.

Maybe I’m missing something in the replies ... I did notice in the manual it said the default was 5 presets on the GT16..... is this a wish list item :S

Thanks!!!

Just edit the buttons and change the button type on each one to Preset. (Then, edit the preset index as I mentioned above).

Back