Problems with PBC Buffers? - Confusing Volume and Tone Loss

AaronJ16

Hello,

I'm running into what I hope is just an anomaly, but its a rather soul crushing one at that! This is the first time having these issues, hoping someone can help. Note that I did just rewire my board, but its wired correctly to the instruction manual for single amp effects loop application. No issues with cabling (all tested), no issues with specific pedals or power to them (also all tested).

Issues:

1. Buffer 1 must be on to get any significant volume, even with all subsequent loops off. Without buffer 1 on I get maybe 10% of the signal (muffled).
2. Even with Buffer 1 on, I get significant volume loss (~75%) and loss of tone when engaging loops 1-6. Its as if my drive pedals are dead (and yes, I cranked the volume). Disengaging the drive pedals while keeping the loop active restores volume and tone. Note that Loop 1 (compressor) has decent volume, but I'm turning it up more than usual. Loop 2 seems ok too (pog) but also slightly quieter than it should be. Loops 3 to 6 seem quite quiet and lifeless.

It seems that as long as the first 6 loops are completely off and Buffer 1 is on, everything works great, sounds great. As soon as I turn a loop on I get nothing back

Routing for Reference:

Guitar --> In 1-4 --> Loops 1-6 (drives, comp, etc.) --> Out 5/6 to Boost/Volume pedal and to front of Amp
Amp Effects Loop Send --> In 7-10 --> Loops 7-10 (delay, reverb, etc.) --> Output A to Amp Effects Loop Return

It sounds like you have a short to ground somewhere. Make sure both the "Mono -> Stereo (out)" button and Mono Output button are pressed in.

Both buttons are pressed in. Should I be looking at my cabling, or how would you recommend trouble shooting? 99% sure this is user error...

I recommend unplugging the cables from the amp's effect loop first. Also try without the volume pedal in line. When you test cables, do you test for shorts as well as opens?

Thanks Ron. I kinda unplugged and tested everything in a somewhat haphazard way because I was in the middle of other things (gotta love working from home for that!). I didn't do a good job of going through things one by one so I'm not sure what it was, but its fixed now...

I seem to have found the issue by accident. Maybe. The problem partially flared up again with Loop 3 engaged. I noticed the cable to my volume pedal makes a bit of noise when I touch it, but it seems only with Loop 3 engaged (?). I moved it and volume came back, and the scratchiness went away with Loop 3 engaged. I'm going to swap out the cable and see if that cures it.

To close out, I replaced the cable from out 5-6 to my volume pedal and the issues are gone. Oddly, maybe, the "bad" cable that I replaced tested find on a live wire cable tester.

Back