Questions about Mono & Stereo Model

LluchJovi

Dear friends from RJM forum,

I'm a Spanish fiddler and now I'm getting closer to the world of electric violin and all that carries. I'm going to make my own rig like a guitar player with some pedals, most of them are mono. Here in Spain, the RJM dealer only haves in stock the Stereo Model and they told mi that there is no chance to get the normal model.

I play in a string quartet (acoustic/electric) and at that time we don't play with amps (I don't know if in the future it will be) because we are switched to a Presonus Studiolive and after it goes to the active speakers. The electric violin is mono like the guitar. I want to take the most advantage features from the Effect Gizmo. First question is:

How can I switch the EG to the StudioLive? if it is Stereo i think that I have to use two channels and after the technician send every channel to one speaker. I don´t know if it goes well or the stereo version only is "real" using two amps.

Other question is that I would like to know how to connect the pedals to the Effect Gizmo (stereo) if the pedals are mono. Can I create a 'stereo image' with mono pedals? What's the correct option?

1)Switching TS on pedal and TRS on EG
2)TS on pedal & TS on EG
3)TRS on pedal & TRS on EG

I think that if one pedal is stereo (e.g. "Retrosonic Chorus" or "EH Ravish Sitar" that haves one main output and one sympathetic output) I can hear it stereo on the speakers through the mixer connected by two ways possibles:

1)Two TS from the pedal into one TRS on the rear of the EG (Ravish Sitar)
2)TRS on pedal & TRS on EG (Retrosonic)

I am scared of listening my violin in one or two speakers depending the pedal that I'm using in this moment.

I know it's a lot of questions, but now I'm ordering cables, connectors...and I can't be wrong. By the way, what do you recommend me, RJM Effect Gizmo Mono or Stereo version? I can buy the mono version at UK or Germany.

Thank you!

Vicent

the effect gizmo is capable of switching stereo signals but that doesn't mean it has to or must be used with stereo signals. It will work equally well with a Mono signal

To connect everything in mono just use std intrument cables for the connections ie 1/4 inch T/S plugs instead of stereo cables with 1/4 trs plugs

Thank you 4x4uk,

now I have the answer for one of my questions. Now I would like to know if the mono signal will be heard in all the speakers like the stereo signal (but only the stereo with "real effect image"). How I can connect the EG to the Presonus StudioLive? Every input channel on the desk is mono. One Stereo Cable with 1/4 TRS plug in the EG to 2 1/4 TS in the desk? (it would be the same to connect to 2 amplifiers?)

Thanks

connecting to mixing desk as a mono signal is normal
single instrument cable from the effect gizmo to the board
the pan setting on the mixer controls how much signal is heard in each speaker. so pan hard right willl give right speaker only pan hard lef left speaker only and pan center is stereo equal amounts in both speaker.

If you were outputting stereo You would need to use a stero splitter cable (Y cable often called an insert cable) which would take the trs output from the eg and have 2 std t/s 1/4 jacks one for each of the 2 channels you would need on the mixer from the EG you would use 2 channels on the mixer one panned hard left and the other panned hard right

Thank you again 4x4uk,

but my important question is if switching the EG to the Desk or to 2 different amps with the "Sterero Splitter Cable" the mono signal from the mono pedals will be heard in all the speakers like the stereo signal of the stereo pedals (but only the stereo with "real effect image"). I am scared of listening my violin in one or two speakers depending the pedal that I'm using in this moment.

Vicent

not necesserily an issue

decide what pedals you are going to use also note that most stereo pedals will still output stereo with the effect off. SO if you decide to have your final output in stereo thenput one of those in your signal change last and sitch it on or off on the pedal rather than turning the loop on/off that way you will always have a stereo out. But as you are relying on getting free channels on the mixing board you would be advised to check with the soundguy that there are 2 channels available to you, which may be unlikely.

therefore just stick with mono run all the pedals in a loop of the effect gizmo including the stereo ones (just use the mono outs on them) then let the sound guy handle and manage your stero placement in the mix with the pan control, which will more than likely sound a lot better if you are being mixed in with a lot of other instruments than it would if you send him a stereo signal assuming there are enough free channels
get used to the mono signal it may well work for you and then you can experiment using stereo later when you have got used to the pedals and effects

Thanks,

there's no problem with the channels. We have a Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2 and we have 24 channels for a quartet (4 channels for acoustic instruments, 2 for my electric violin, 4 micros and the other channels are free now). The only problem it's how to combine mono and stereo pedals without the problem of getting all the sound scene with stereo pedals and half scene with mono pedals. How I have said on the first comment "I want to take the most advantage features from the Effect Gizmo".

Vicent

connect stereo outpu from the EG

the last pedal in the loop needs to be the stereo one, leave that loop on all the time even if the effect is off.

Put all the other mono pedals in their own loop before .
That way you will be able to control all but the final stero pedal with the EG.

Thanks, but if I leave the loop of the stereo pedal on with all the rest of pedals all the time, I'll have this effect mixed with all the loops. For exemple, if I leave chorus stereo I will have chorus with OD, Wah, Flanger......

not if you turn the chorus effect off on the pedal, it will pass the signal through unaltered other than outputting stereo rather than mono

Ok, but what happens if I want to use the chorus? I have to switch 2 chorus, one 'on' for the effect and one 'off' for make the stereo avaliable for all the pedals?...or in the EG all the pedals are off and when you switch the loop they turn on?

nope all you would have to do is turn the chorus effect on

(all the stereo effect pdeals I own and have tested are stereo when they are on orr off)

So all you would do is turn the effect pedal on to get stereo chorus it would be a loop whcich is always on and left on in the effect gizmo

when the effect is on you get stereo chorus, when its off you are using it to create a stero signal

Back