Routing MIDI Box

EVHGuy1111

I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice. I've never made a pedal so I'd have a lot of research to do... and there are custom pedal fabricators out there I can approach (which I'm willing to do)... I'd just like an idea if what I'm looking to do is possible with the MMLT and MEGX before approaching a fabricator for a custom stompbox.

I run a MEGX and MMLT on my rig. I LOVE the RJM setup and versatility!

One thing I'd like to do is switch the routing of my CryBaby Jr Wah for certain presets. Particularly, have a preset that routs the Input and Output of the CryBaby Jr backwards to achive the David Gilmour "seagull" sound (where he used a Wah plugged in backwards with delay and reverb on the effect).

My idea is a box that has a MIDI input to receive MIDI commands. So the box would be on the backline with my other pedals, The CryBaby Jr would be plugged into the box, the box would have 1/4 cable going out to the MEGX and a MIDI input. The idea is the box would be set up as a generic MIDI device, when a particular preset is triggered by the MMLT, the preset would also send a MIDI command to the box and it would automatically rerout the CryBaby "backwards" for that preset... then all other presets would send a different MIDI command to set the CryBaby routing "correct".

Is this idea possible with the RJM hardware? If so, any info or ideas I'd need to bring to the box fabricator?

Thanks!

The MEGX isn't capable of flipping a send and a return like that. If you were to have someone build a box that uses a relay to swap the input and output, that would be easy to make. For controlling it, it would be easiest to add a 1/4-inch switching jack and control it from the LT or MEGX's function switching jack. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about MIDI.

The MEGX isn't capable of flipping a send and a return like that. If you were to have someone build a box that uses a relay to swap the input and output, that would be easy to make. For controlling it, it would be easiest to add a 1/4-inch switching jack and control it from the LT or MEGX's function switching jack. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about MIDI.
So there would be no way for the switch to be integrated into MMLT presets then I take it...

If it's controlled by the MEGX or LT function switch, then it would be no problem to integrate it with LT presets. You would just program the switch to be on or off in each MEGX or LT preset, just like you would program a MEGX loop.

If it's controlled by the MEGX or LT function switch, then it would be no problem to integrate it with LT presets. You would just program the switch to be on or off in each MEGX or LT preset, just like you would program a MEGX loop.
Ahhhh!

Seems to make sense… so it would need to be a stomp box that is always on, just switching the routing?

I'm already using the MEXG Fn Switch for tap tempo with an analog delay pedal that uses 1/4" jack.

Would the routing for my purposes look like this?
•WAH pedal > "Switch Box" (w/ external jack to MMLT Fn Switch) > MEGX

Last edited:
The switch box would need an input for the guitar, and an output that goes to the MEGX. It would also have a send and return that goes to the input and the output of the wah. A fifth jack goes to the function switch output to control the box. Normally, input is connected to send, and output is connected to return. When activated, the relays in the box swap the send and return so input is connected to return and output is connected to send.

The switch box would need an input for the guitar, and an output that goes to the MEGX. It would also have a send and return that goes to the input and the output of the wah. A fifth jack goes to the function switch output to control the box. Normally, input is connected to send, and output is connected to return. When activated, the relays in the box swap the send and return so input is connected to return and output is connected to send.

Sorry if I'm annoying. I don't understand, why would the box need an input for the guitar?

In my rig I have all my pedals in the MEGX, I rout my wireless unit into the MEGX (which has 2 pedals in front of the amp and the rest in the effects loop routing through the MEGX), everything is controlled by the MMLT.

The box you're describing, does it essentially take the WAH out of the MEGX loop and make it its own "Loop" through the MMLT?

Does this then also free up a loop in the MEGX?

I misunderstood, I thought you wanted it in front of the MEGX. You can certainly put it in a loop if you like. The box's input would go to the MEGX loop send, and the box's output would go to MEGX loop return.

I misunderstood, I thought you wanted it in front of the MEGX. You can certainly put it in a loop if you like. The box's input would go to the MEGX loop send, and the box's output would go to MEGX loop return.
So it would be the same box either way…

I could just route it:

WAY 1: into the MEGX
WAY2: before the MEGX (essentially freeing up a loop in the MEGX)

Just asking for clarification… because if the box you describe can do both routings it might give me an extra pedal in my rig if I route it in front of the MEGX…

So it would be the same box either way…

I could just route it:

WAY 1: into the MEGX
WAY2: before the MEGX (essentially freeing up a loop in the MEGX)

Just asking for clarification… because if the box you describe can do both routings it might give me an extra pedal in my rig if I route it in front of the MEGX…
It can do both routings in the sense that you can choose to wire it one way or another. Either it's connected to a MEGX loop, or it's connected to the MEGX's input. There's no way to automatically move it in and out of the MEGX's loops.

Putting a wah in front of the MEGX makes sense in many cases because using the wah's built-in switch is convenient - you've already got your foot on it when you're using it.

Putting a wah in front of the MEGX makes sense in many cases because using the wah's built-in switch is convenient - you've already got your foot on it when you're using

And in that case the WAH would be put into the preset via the MMLT Fn Switch?

So my WAH would always be on, connected to the box (with the 5th jack connected to the MMLT Fn Switch Jack), the guitar/wireless in the box, the box output to the MEGX input.

Then to add the WAH to a preset I would just recall MMLT Fn Switch ON for one routing, OFF for the opposite routing. When the MMLT Fn Switch isn’t in a preset it isn’t in the signal chain.

Do I have that correct?

Seems best way to do it and frees up a loop in my MEGX the WAH is currently occupying.

And in that case the WAH would be put into the preset via the MMLT Fn Switch?

So my WAH would always be on, connected to the box (with the 5th jack connected to the MMLT Fn Switch Jack), the guitar/wireless in the box, the box output to the MEGX input.

Then to add the WAH to a preset I would just recall MMLT Fn Switch ON for one routing, OFF for the opposite routing. When the MMLT Fn Switch isn’t in a preset it isn’t in the signal chain.

Do I have that correct?

Seems best way to do it and frees up a loop in my MEGX the WAH is currently occupying.
You almost have it correct. The way I envisioned it, the function switch only switches the direction of the pedal. The wah's own switch is what would switch it in and out of the signal path.

It would possible to build the box so that the other function switch bypasses the pedal, though. It just makes it more complicated.

You almost have it correct. The way I envisioned it, the function switch only switches the direction of the pedal. The wah's own switch is what would switch it in and out of the signal path.

It would possible to build the box so that the other function switch bypasses the pedal, though. It just makes it more complicated.
I prefer to have the WAH on the entire time and pop in and out of the path when I click a preset on the MMLT since I rarely have only a WAH on a preset, as well, it’s easier to tap a MMLT button playing live than press on the WAH to turn it on and keep rhythm…

…so I would have to have it in the MEGX it seems, then use the 5th jack on the box connected to the MMLT Fn Switch to determine the WAH routing by preset.

Back