Trying to get Walrus M1 PCs to be tied to an IA step feature

huntiboo

So basically, on page 3 of my midi controller, I'd like the two buttons "M1 Trem" and "M1 Chorus" to allow me to have 4 different versions of chorus and trem respectively. I have it set to bypass the pedal and go to the first preset of 4 that I'd like each type of mod to be (Trem is 5,6,7,8 and chorus is 1,2,3,4) and then the hold function would cycle the IAs and tell me what preset I'm on. I know there has to be a way to use the IA step feature to do this and it would allow me to label each "step" that has a certain preset "square wave trem" or "dimension chorus". This would be especially useful because the M1 has no screen and so while presets are nice, you kind of have no idea what preset you're on without just listening for it. I set it up to the best of my abilities but the pedal inconsistently bypasses when I assign the chorus button on to 1 preset and the term button on to a second preset. It also pretty inconsistently swaps to the correct preset. Please help me troubleshoot.

Additionally, I don't really want the M1 to listen to midi clock unless I'm in a trem setting, as chorus doesn't sound good tied to clock IMO. The m1 has a cc command to ignore midi clock (cc 89). Since there only 4 presets I want to receive midi clock, is there a way to send the "ignore midi clock message on every preset except for ones that have a trem selected? Thanks y'all! Attaching my file.

Attachments

• M1 Help.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
I think what you're looking for in this situation is the "IA Cycle" feature. That's what I use to control my Walrus Audio R1 presets.

Basically I have one switch that turns on/off the loop in my HX Stomp that has the R1 inside. The first IA Step of each of my switches is its null/oFF state, and the 2nd/3rd/4th turns OFF all the other IAs and turns ON the Effects Loop IA, sending a corresponding PC for each step. You could probably do the same thing with a switch that turns CC#89 on and off. Take a look at my file and see if that helps:

Attachments

• post-refactor.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
The problem is that all the buttons are going to send messages on a preset change. Let's say that, in a certain preset, you have the tremolo turned on to preset 7. When the Mastermind preset is loaded, the following happens, in this order:

M1 TREM ON button sends CC #31 value 127 to turn the pedal on
M1 TREM ON button sends PC #5
M1 Chorus ON button sends CC #31 value 0 to turn the pedal off
M1 Chorus ON button sends PC #1
M1 TREM hold function sends PC #7
M1 Chorus hold function sends PC #1

So, the pedal will end up on preset #1, and bypassed.

Everything will need to be simplified to prevent these conflicts. Ideally, one button that controls whether the pedal is on or off, and one Device PC+ button to select presets. You'll lose the ability to label steps, but at least it'll work.

The problem is that all the buttons are going to send messages on a preset change. Let's say that, in a certain preset, you have the tremolo turned on to preset 7. When the Mastermind preset is loaded, the following happens, in this order:

M1 TREM ON button sends CC #31 value 127 to turn the pedal on
M1 TREM ON button sends PC #5
M1 Chorus ON button sends CC #31 value 0 to turn the pedal off
M1 Chorus ON button sends PC #1
M1 TREM hold function sends PC #7
M1 Chorus hold function sends PC #1

So, the pedal will end up on preset #1, and bypassed.

Everything will need to be simplified to prevent these conflicts. Ideally, one button that controls whether the pedal is on or off, and one Device PC+ button to select presets. You'll lose the ability to label steps, but at least it'll work.
Not to hijack the thread but I want to make sure I'm giving good advice in my post above. On my PBC I use a combination of IA Cycle and Set IA to create a page of buttons that cycle between "1.) Off 2.) Small 3.)Medium 4.) Big" for a variety of reverb flavors. That's Page 5 in my settings. One button on my external footswitch controls the reverb bypass, and it turned on and off by the IA Cycle/Set IA. The reverb seems to bypass/recall presets correctly even though when one button is "On" the other 7 buttons are sending "Off". Is my use of those features valid or am I overdue for a bugged reverb?

Not to hijack the thread but I want to make sure I'm giving good advice in my post above. On my PBC I use a combination of IA Cycle and Set IA to create a page of buttons that cycle between "1.) Off 2.) Small 3.)Medium 4.) Big" for a variety of reverb flavors. That's Page 5 in my settings. One button on my external footswitch controls the reverb bypass, and it turned on and off by the IA Cycle/Set IA. The reverb seems to bypass/recall presets correctly even though when one button is "On" the other 7 buttons are sending "Off". Is my use of those features valid or am I overdue for a bugged reverb?
It's hard to say without tracing everything. The fact that you're using IA Cycle and not normal buttons might be part of it. The former doesn't send "off" messages ever, where the latter does.

But, it is surprising that you aren't running into other issues - usually, two or more IA cycles sending the same CCs or PCs will conflict, unless you have a step 1 on each button that doesn't send anything at all. But, if you can program presets that make use of presets on any of the IA cycle buttons, then I'd say it's working. I guess I should spend some time looking at your configuration - it wouldn't be the first time that I was surprised by something working when I wouldn't have expected it to.

Back