Using the Split Mono feature in the PBC/6X

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
As of the 4.3 firmware, the Mastermind PBC/6X has a new "Split Mono" feature. This allows you to split any of the stereo loops into two individually controllable mono loops. When splitting all of the stereo loops including the insert loop, this gives you 11 independent mono loops that can arranged in any order!

WIRING

To connect two pedals to a single loop, you'll need insert cables. These have a TRS (stereo) plug that plugs into the PBC and two TS (mono) plugs that connect to your pedals. You can buy insert cables at most music stores, and from custom cable builders such as Best-tronics. Use one insert cable for the loop send and one for the return. The send cable connects to the inputs of the two pedals, and the return cable connects to the outputs of the pedals. Insert cables typically have one plug labeled "tip" and the other labeled "ring". The "tip" plugs connect to the primary loop (the lower numbered loop), and the "ring" plugs connect to the secondary loop (the higher numbered loop). For example, when connecting to loop 4, the tip plugs are used for loop 4 and the ring plugs are used for loop 7.

A NOTE FOR THOSE USING A LINE MIXER TO GET PARALLEL ROUTING:
The only limitation of this option is that you can't have one half of a split loop running a series effect and one half running a parallel effect. Plugging a plug into the loop return will break the dry signal connection for both loops on that jack.

AUDIO SETUP

In the PBC editor or on the unit itself, each stereo capable loop has a "Split Mono" parameter. Turn this on, and a new loop will become available.
  • Splitting loop 4 creates loop 7
  • Splitting loop 5 creates loop 8
  • Splitting loop 6 creates loop 9
  • Splitting the insert loop creates insert loop 2, which in the loop order diagram is displayed as '='
These new loops will appear in the loop order diagram and in the Audio section of the editor and onboard setup menu. They can be controlled like any other loop and placed in any order.

BUTTON SETUP

You can add buttons to control the new loops. This typically means adding another button page to accommodate the new buttons

Using the onboard setup menu

In the setup menu, select Edit Buttons. Then, select a page (typically page 3), and set its type to LoopsPg2. This makes that button page control loops 7-9 and the insert loop(s). This overwrites the Switches page, but you can edit page 4 and set it to Switches type.

Using the editor software

In the Buttons tab, go to page 3. Right click on the PBC image, and select Copy Page To > Page 4. This makes a copy of the Switches page on page 4. Now, you can reassign the buttons on page 3. Right click on a button and select Assign CC > Internal > Loop 7 to assign loop 7 to a button. Repeat for each loop you want to assign to a button. We recommend leaving the "Page / IA Store" button unchanged to keep it consistent with the other button pages.

Make sure change Page3's name to reflect its new function, something like Loops 7-9. Also, make sure to change the Max Page parameter in the Globals tab to 4.

Last edited:
How does this new feature affect series and parallel functions of the PBC? ...edit. I see it's for the 6x, not the original PBC10

Last edited:
I think there might be a bug in the editor. When the insert loop is split, I still only have the option to create a switch that toggles the entire stereo loop.

I think there might be a bug in the editor. When the insert loop is split, I still only have the option to create a switch that toggles the entire stereo loop.

Where are you (not) seeing this option? If you right click on a button, I can see Insert 1 and Insert 2 options.

Where are you (not) seeing this option? If you right click on a button, I can see Insert 1 and Insert 2 options.
Cool, I never actually knew that right click option was there! You learn something new everyday.

I was trying to find it through the menu when you double click on the button and add an IA action. Having seen the shortcut, I can now clarify to say that the bug is that after you set the IA subtype to insert, it doesn't let you select "2" for the number.

Cool, I never actually knew that right click option was there! You learn something new everyday.

I was trying to find it through the menu when you double click on the button and add an IA action. Having seen the shortcut, I can now clarify to say that the bug is that after you set the IA subtype to insert, it doesn't let you select "2" for the number.

Ah, ok! Thanks for pointing that out.

once you have the two pedals in the split loop can you turn one off?
i have one fuzz as loop 7 and an over drive as loop 4 but for some reason can't seem to have the fuzz off
without losing the signal of the overdrive. I've tried switching cable order around to see if i did had made a mistake but the out come stays the same.

Yes, when done correctly, both loops are completely independent of each other. Are you using properly wired insert cables?

Yes, when done correctly, both loops are completely independent of each other. Are you using properly wired insert cables
I'm using the Mogami W2314 for a custom insert cable with a TRS and two TS plugs but I'm still having a hard time passing the signal through. Any recommendations on different hardware i could use for the insert cables ?

You can buy insert cables off the shelf, there are cheapie ones from Hosa, for example. Companies like Best-tronics (www.btpa.com) will make them for you as well.

It sounds like you may have a wire reversed or a plug reversed somewhere. I recommend connecting only one pedal to the tip of the send jack and the tip of the return jack. That should be loop 4. See if that works. If it doesn't, swap the ends of the cable (use the ring plug instead of the tip plug), one at a time and see if any combination works. If you find a working combination, use the unused plugs for loop 7.

I'm a bit confused with the wiring. Let me see if I've got it correctly, and please correct me if I don't!

My initial guess was to plug in the TRS plug to Loop 4 and have the tip/ring connected to the pedal that I want in Loop 4 however it seems like that is not the case.

So is the correct wiring to have the TRS plugs in both Loop 4 Send and Return (so loops 4 and 7) and then have the two separate Tip TS plugs connect to the input (Loop 4 Send TRS Tip) and output (Loop 4 Return TRS Tip) of the pedal I want in loop 4 and the Ring tips for Loop 7?

Also, by default is Loop 7 in series after Loop 6 or is it actually before?

Would it be possible to split up Loop 4 and have a TRS-TRS connection with two cables per plug to use with the TRS insert function of something like the Keeley D&M drive?

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused with the wiring. Let me see if I've got it correctly, and please correct me if I don't!

My initial guess was to plug in the TRS plug to Loop 4 and have the tip/ring connected to the pedal that I want in Loop 4 however it seems like that is not the case.

So is the correct wiring to have the TRS plugs in both Loop 4 Send and Return (so loops 4 and 7) and then have the two separate Tip TS plugs connect to the input (Loop 4 Send TRS Tip) and output (Loop 4 Return TRS Tip) of the pedal I want in loop 4 and the Ring tips for Loop 7?

Also, by default is Loop 7 in series after Loop 6 or is it actually before?

Would it be possible to split up Loop 4 and have a TRS-TRS connection with two cables per plug to use with the TRS insert function of something like the Keeley D&M drive?

I think you've got it. To put it another way, just remember that the send jack is still only sending, and the return is only returning. Thus, the two TS plugs in loop 4 send are going to the two inputs of the two pedals, and the plugs in loop 4 return are going to the outputs of the two pedals. Do that, and you just need to make sure to line up the tip send/return and ring send/return with each other.

By default, loop 7 is after loop 6. You can, of course, change the default order as desired in the audio tab of the editor.

You can definitely do what you suggested with the D&M Drive. The Browne Protein is another one that can utilize TRS jacks to split out the two sides with a looper.

Sweet, thanks. The send jack only sending and return only returning helps clear it up. Wanted to get it down before I went ahead and soldered my cables.

Hello- signed up preorder for the PBC and had a question about setting up an audition loop on my board. If I were to wire one mono split to a patch bay for an audition loop, would the loop be mute if nothing is plugged into the patch bay or would it automatically bypass?

It would be muted, unless the patch bay is wired with a normalled connection. If that's not possible for some reason, you could use audio settings to lock the loop in the "off" position so it will not be able to turn on.

Can you please confirm that this is correct: In my PBC 10, can I make a cable with TS plugs in the "Out 1-4" and "In 5-6" that terminate to a TRS plug with Out/tip and In/ring and then plug the TRS into the patch bay of a Schmidt Array pedal board so I can then use another TRS --> tip/send and ring/return to a pedal off the board?

Out 1-4 and In 5-6 are mono connections. You could use a TRS cable, but the ring conductors will not do anything.

Thanks. To clarify, can use the mono connections of Out 1-4 and In 5-6 combined to a TRS plug (reverse Y cable) and then the opposite configuration on the other side of a TRS connection in a patch bay to use as an audition slot?

Ah, I missed the tip=send ring=return configuration in your original post. Yes, you can use an insert cable for that, and it'll work fine with the Out 1-4 / In 5-6 jacks.

Back