Voodoo pedal switcher question

Mfreesto

Hello - GT newbie here - in fact mine is still in the mail but I'm curious... Apologies if this is obvious after playing with the GT for a bit.

I will be using my GT primarily to control an Axe FX II but I have a few pedals that I'd like to switch in and out in front of it. At the moment I use a Voodoo Pedal Switcher which is a poor man's GCX / gizmo. By default it can be remotely controlled by Voodoo's Ground Control unit but I found the following post on how to set it up to enable midi switching from a non Voodoo controller...

So my question is then, how would I set up the GT to send the initial sysex message...

Here is the post I found for this... Thank you!

In order to control the Pedal Switcher from a MIDI source other than a Voodoo Lab/DMC controller, you would first need to send the following hex SysEx string:

F0 00 00 07 01 08 10 F7

This will force the Pedal Switcher to emulate the first four loops of GCX #1 which would be Control Change messages 80-83 on MIDI Channel 16. Your controller will need to be able to send all four control Change messages at once in order to have preset style control.

Custom Sysex messages are planned for a future release, but the good news is that the built-in GCX support sends this message. So, just define a GCX1 device and it will send the message on powerup.

Wow that is really cool - out of curiosity, the voodoo GCP has a way to remap a GCX's channel from the default 16 when more than one GCX units are used - at least I think that's what they do. Perhaps another secret sysex? Would the GT also support such a thing?

Yes I know, I need a rack gizmo or two!

It doesn't change the channel, but it changes the CC numbers the GCX responds to. I think the way it works is the first GCX receives the sysex mentioned above, then it sends a different sysex to the next one, and so on down the chain. I don't know what the other sysex messages are, but you shouldn't need them - the GCXs/Pedal Switchers should take care of that for you.

Back