Pedals with remote switching/MIDI

middle_pickup

I suggest we begin to keep a record of all d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶ pedals with TRS remote switching, or MIDI implementations. I've been looking for some options myself, and thankfully I'm seeing a surge of new products with these kinds of features. I'll keep this post updated with additions that you guys find.

UPDATE: It seems there are plenty of different kinds of effects with remote switching. I'm updating the list to reflect what's out there. Keep in mind though I'm not going to list the obvious pedals like the Strymon's and Eventide's that people already know about. My goal here is to help people find pedals they don't know about with extra control-especially gain boxes.

Compression with TRS switching:
Suhr Koji Comp

Delays with TRS expression:
EHX Deluxe Memory Man tap tempo (550 & 1100 models)

Drives with TRS switching:
Bogner Ecstasy Blue
Bogner Ecstasy Red
Bogner Überschall
Gurus 1959 Double Decker
JHS Morning Glory v4
JHS Superbolt v2
JHS Twin Twelve v2
Strymon Riverside (kind of)
Suhr Dual Boost
Suhr Eclipse Overdrive/Distortion
Suhr Koko Boost
Suhr Koko Boost Reloaded
Suhr Riot Distortion
Suhr Riot Reloaded Distortion
Suhr Rufus Fuzz
Suhr Rufus Fuzz Reloaded
Suhr Shiba Drive
Suhr Shiba Reloaded
Suhr Shiba Kiko Loureiro Signature
TC Electronic Nova Drive

Drives with TRS expression control:
Bogner La Grange
Moog MF Drive
Supro Boost
Supro Drive
Supro Fuzz

Modulation with TRS switching:
Suhr Jack Rabbit Tremolo

Modulation with TRS expression:
Pigtronics Envelope phaser

Uncategorized TRS Switching:
Champion Tapdance looper

Delays with MIDI:
Boss DD-500
Eventide H9
Eventide Timefactor
Chase Bliss Tonal Recall
Strymon Timeline
Drives with MIDI:
Chase Bliss Brothers
Elektron Analog Drive
Selah Scarlet v3
TC Electronic Nova Drive

Modulation with MIDI:
Boss MV-500
Chase Bliss Gravitas
Chase Bliss Spectre
Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl
Chase Bliss Wombtone

Reverbs with MIDI:
Boss RV-500
Eventide H9
Eventide Space
Strymon Big Sky

Last edited:
A pedal that I believe is underrated is the Nova Drive by TC. It is an anolog OD and Distortion pedal with complete midi control.. I have had one on the board for years and could not live without it. It plays very nicely with PBC. I use the expression pedal to control gain levels on the fly....very handy

A pedal that I believe is underrated is the Nova Drive by TC. It is an anolog OD and Distortion pedal with complete midi control.. I have had one on the board for years and could not live without it. It plays very nicely with PBC. I use the expression pedal to control gain levels on the fly....very handy
Good add! Does it have TRS control, or only MIDI?

So how does this necessarily work with say the JHS Superbolt V2? I have the Chase Bliss Audio MIDI Control Box. So does the PBC send out midi to that box, then via TRS it would switch on/off saved preset OD?

A pedal like the Superbolt connects directly to one of the function switch outputs on the PBC. JHS pedals don't accept MIDI, Chase Bliss pedals do, but you need their adapter box.

Selah Scarlett Love V3. Klone / TS like / Plexi like. Midi compliant (C.C. or P.C.). An awesome "boost machine". :)

Gurus 1959 Double Decker with Two TRS for total control. Only one for channel switching (custom cable)

A pedal like the Superbolt connects directly to one of the function switch outputs on the PBC. JHS pedals don't accept MIDI, Chase Bliss pedals do, but you need their adapter box.

I am very interested in the Chase bliss Brothers for its midi functionality. Can the function switch out use a TRS cable like this one from Disaster Area to midi control a Chase Bliss pedal without having to interface with the CB Midibox?

TRS_CBA-300x198.png

Their MIDI box is required to interface with the pedal.
I am very interested in the Chase bliss Brothers for its midi functionality. Can the function switch out use a TRS cable like this one from Disaster Area to midi control a Chase Bliss pedal without having to interface with the CB Midibox?

View attachment 603
I think it is worth noting that their midi box is actually a modified Empress box. Chase Bliss will sell you one, and it can even be specified how many TRS outputs can be modified for Chase Bliss pedals and how many can be left for Empress pedals. That's probably useful info for one person with both brand pedals.

You can also build your own cable (MIDI to TRS) with pin 5 going to the ring and pin 2 going to the sleeve. I had the exact same questions and reached out to them to find out. Can't wait to get my Brothers and figure out how to use my GT10 to control it.

I'm a little concerned about connecting a PBC directly to their pedal. I talked to Joel at Chase Bliss, and all of the circuitry that protects MIDI interfaces from ground loops and other problems is in their MIDI box. It's not present in the pedal itself. So, connecting the GT directly to the pedal's TRS MIDI input is something I wouldn't recommend, even if it does work.

I'm a little concerned about connecting a PBC directly to their pedal. I talked to Joel at Chase Bliss, and all of the circuitry that protects MIDI interfaces from ground loops and other problems is in their MIDI box. It's not present in the pedal itself. So, connecting the GT directly to the pedal's TRS MIDI input is something I wouldn't recommend, even if it does work.

Do you think a CB pedal can be daisy chained with other midi pedals? Can it be the last pedal in line and you use a 5 pin end out from one pedal (like an H9 or Strymon) and use a TRS end in the the CB pedal?

That's really good to know and thanks. I'l grab one of their boxes to keep it legit. Thanks again!

Do you think a CB pedal can be daisy chained with other midi pedals? Can it be the last pedal in line and you use a 5 pin end out from one pedal (like an H9 or Strymon) and use a TRS end in the the CB pedal?

You'll have to ask Chase Bliss about that - I wouldn't try it without consulting them.

Back