MASTERMIND GT FIRMWARE 3.4.9 / EDITOR 3.4.6

I won't be able to get this information until my next rehearsal this coming Saturday (7/29). Quite a while back, I can't remember the date, you sent me a set of replacement switches that have been working perfectly. I don't think this is a HW (physical switch) issue, as I can reproduce the issue with at least two different switches on the unit. FWIW, the button boards are REV2 (PCB-MMGTB1 REV2).
I will also update to 3.4.8 (from 3.4.7) this Saturday (7/29) and see if that addresses the issue.

Switches: 000000

When I tried to load the 3.4.8 firmware, the MMGT gets stuck in a loop saying "Unable to open directory."

I tried two different thumb drives and got the same results.

The thumb drives aren't formatted the way the GT needs. A reformat on a PC should take care of it (make sure it's formatted FAT32). On a Mac, you can use Disk Utility and format it FAT32 with the MBC partitioning scheme.

Oops, that's MBR partitioning scheme.

You don't have old switches, so we'll have to look at other causes.

I updated to the latest and for some reason I cannot get the Tap Tempo button to flash or show the BPM coming from my Axe Ultra like it used to. This was something that was working before I updated.

I did confirm on the Axe FX that the Send Sysex is set to "All" and I do have the Flash With Tempo and Show Tempo options selected along with the Global Calculate Tempo from Flash option as well.

With the update is there something I might be missing on the settings to get this working again?

I updated to the latest and for some reason I cannot get the Tap Tempo button to flash or show the BPM coming from my Axe Ultra like it used to. This was something that was working before I updated.

I did confirm on the Axe FX that the Send Sysex is set to "All" and I do have the Flash With Tempo and Show Tempo options selected along with the Global Calculate Tempo from Flash option as well.

With the update is there something I might be missing on the settings to get this working again?

I don't know of anything in the release that would affect that. Do the other features work (tuner display, effect button status updates)? Check the Bidirectional MIDI setting make sure it's on. Make sure the tap tempo button's "Update on Preset Change" setting is turned off and "Flash w/ Tempo" is turned on.

I double checked the settings (update on preset/flash with tempo/etc) and those are correct. I do not use the tuner or effects block status, but I tried the tuner and I was not able to get that to display.

Is there a chance the Flash and BPM indication I was getting prior to the update were just what I was tapping into the GT vs it indicating what it was receiving from the Axe? The last update that had been done prior to the most recent was in July of 2016, so I jumped a few releases. I am using phantom power from an Effects Gizmo and the midi out of the EG feeds a midi solutions Quadra Thru that sends midi to the other devices in my rack including the Axe.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok, that's the problem - in order for the Axe-Fx to communicate to the GT, it has to be directly connected to the Axe-Fx, no devices in between. The only other way to get it to work is to connect another cable from Axe-Fx MIDI Out to GT Remote In.

Thanks Ron. So the Flash and BPM I was getting was from the GT22 rather than coming from my Axe. Is there a way to revert back to the Flash/BPM indication working off what I am tapping in like it used to or would that be gone with the updates?

Make sure Flash w/ Tempo and Update on Praset Change are turned on for that button. It will flash on its own at that point.

Hey Ron, one other thing I am having a issue getting right. I understand without the units talking to each other the BPM showing wouldn't be correct, but for some reason I am not able to tap in a tempo any slower that like 190 or 200 BPM even if I am tapping extremely slow. The GT is showing 40-60 BPM and my Axe is only going down to 200 or so.

Is that something you have run into? Its an Axe FX Ultra and a GT22. Any ideas?

Are you using both CCs and MIDI clock at the same time? If MIDI Clock is set to Master on the GT, there should be no actions on the GT button. If you want to have MIDI Clock on, you have to remove the tap tempo action from the tempo button. Those are two different methods of doing tap tempo and you can't use them both at the same time.

I have Midi clock "off" on the Global page. Just using the normal Tap Tempo button as an IA and it's using CCs with the Axe. I noticed that if I tap in 80 BPM or so on the front of the Axe and then hit the Tap Tempo IA button on the GT just once it goes to 250 BPM on the Axe. I can work it down with super slow taps to 200 or 190 BPM at the slowest which is still much faster than I am tapping.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

3.4.9 is now available, it fixes a potential lockup situation, so it's a good update to get. It doesn't seem like it's been encountered out there in the real world - it was discovered on the Mastermind PBC, and it could happen on the GT under the right circumstances. It also fixes an issue with controlling cc linked buttons that are also grouped.

Hey Ron,

I appreciate all of the help on this thread.

Quick question I wanted to see if you could work into a future update. I have an IA Mode button on a page that turns 7 Preset buttons into IA switches. One of those secondary IA buttons is a flashing Tap Tempo button. When I hit IA mode all of the buttons change over correctly except the Tap Tempo flashing button, it still shows the green Preset name. When I hit it, it does start flashing and work as the Tap Tempo IA, but its just a glitch in having it show up when I hit the IA mode button.

Thanks!

Hey Ron,

I appreciate all of the help on this thread.

Quick question I wanted to see if you could work into a future update. I have an IA Mode button on a page that turns 7 Preset buttons into IA switches. One of those secondary IA buttons is a flashing Tap Tempo button. When I hit IA mode all of the buttons change over correctly except the Tap Tempo flashing button, it still shows the green Preset name. When I hit it, it does start flashing and work as the Tap Tempo IA, but its just a glitch in having it show up when I hit the IA mode button.

Thanks!

Does the tap tempo button have any actions on it? If not, then adding an action to the button should help - any action, like System / Step, which won't actually do anything. I definitely need to look into this, but in the meantime that's your best bet.

Hey Ron,

The only action for the IA button was the Tap Tempo for the Axe. Just tried adding a System/Step action as well to that IA button and it still shows the Preset Name/Color when I am in IA mode while the other preset buttons change over.

Once I tap it a few times and get a tempo it does flash and show the tempo. *Also, if I remain on the same preset after this and turn the IA Mode switch off/on again the IA Tap Tempo shows up correctly, but once the a preset is changed it goes back to not changing the screen from the preset.

I assume it has something to do with the flash w/ tempo being on, but I keep my time based stuff and Tap Tempo button in IA mode to free up real estate so ideally we can work in a fix down the line.

Thanks!

Back